Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 05:18 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking forward to this year's bird hunting season with our Vizsla, Buggah. Buggah will be 10 years old in Dec. and his nose can use the peak workout before the rest of his body slows down. Any suggestions for good bird hunting within 3 hours of Wells, ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My husband and I are looking forward to this year's bird hunting season with our Vizsla, Buggah. Buggah will be 10 years old in Dec. and his nose can use the peak workout before the rest of his body slows down. Any suggestions for good bird hunting within 3 hours of Wells, ME?
I think you're going to have to get into the western side of the state around Rangeley or the Greenville area. Not only due to the fact there are more partridge in that area (ruffed grouse are partridge in Maine) I think your dog would go nuts chasing turkeys around the southern part of the state.
There are some partridge around the southern part of Maine but they are hard to hunt, they tend to be very skittish (flush before the dog can hold them) and fewer and farther between. Get yourself into the areas mentioned above and you'll get some birds! Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
The coyote population is down in the immediate vicinity. The lack of scat and the calls as they hunt at night are not as visible this year.
Because of the winter kill, no anterless permits will be drawn for WMD 12 this season, leading to an assumption that without a good diet, the coyotes have moved elsewhere. Will this impact the population of Partridge? More then likely, but the wet summer may have proved as fatal to the chicks as would the coyote. We'll see, but am hoping the rabbit and bird season will be bountiful.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-02-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
The coyote population is down in the immediate vicinity. We are able to hear them hunt at night in an area about 20 square miles. This land is glacial formed, creating a large amphitheater allowing sound to travel easily.
Because of the winter kill, no anterless permits will be drawn for WMD 12 this season, leading to an assumption that without a good diet, the coyotes have moved elsewhere. Will this impact the population of Partridge? More then likely, but the wet summer may have proved as fatal to the chicks as would the coyote. We'll see, but am hoping the rabbit and bird season will be bountiful.
According to some folks I have talked to who live up in The County there are lots of birds around this year. I hope it's true. We'll be going for our annual partridge hunt from October 6- 13th this year. Last year was very good. We hope for at least that type of population again! Just a little concerned that we may get some very early snowfall this year.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
According to some folks I have talked to who live up in The County there are lots of birds around this year. I hope it's true. We'll be going for our annual partridge hunt from October 6- 13th this year. Last year was very good. We hope for at least that type of population again! Just a little concerned that we may get some very early snowfall this year.
Good to have you back, Maineah! We've missed you!

Can anyone give me a quick'n'dirty rundown on when the various seasons are open in Maine? Seems they start early with bear, but not sure when. Down here we mostly have just deer and upland later in the fall, and turkey in spring. Sometimes turkey in fall, also. But much later than you start up in Maine. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good to have you back, Maineah! We've missed you!

Can anyone give me a quick'n'dirty rundown on when the various seasons are open in Maine? Seems they start early with bear, but not sure when. Down here we mostly have just deer and upland later in the fall, and turkey in spring. Sometimes turkey in fall, also. But much later than you start up in Maine. Thanks in advance!
Here's the link to the Maine IF&W website
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Welcome

It's a good site and can answer all of your season questions.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Thanks for the info! We know about the turkeys! Our dog points 'em pretty regularly. The partridge are few and far between around here. ..lots of predators, mostly birds of prey. And the wet summer , I imagine, didn't help. I'm told their population naturally goes on a 7 year cycle. We can't tell if they're up or down around here. I check the MIFW fairly regularly, but they're not in the habit of making season predictions, at least not this far ahead.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Thanks for the info! We know about the turkeys! Our dog points 'em pretty regularly. The partridge are few and far between around here. ..lots of predators, mostly birds of prey. And the wet summer , I imagine, didn't help. I'm told their population naturally goes on a 7 year cycle. We can't tell if they're up or down around here. I check the MIFW fairly regularly, but they're not in the habit of making season predictions, at least not this far ahead.
Like I said in a previous post indications are there are plenty of birds. Spring was not all that bad for them. We had no mud season at all. We went from spring floods to summer and then got the rain later in the summer. By then it's warm enough for the chicks to live without much trouble. You're right about the cycles. Grouse should actually be peaking this season in Northern Maine. Even if you don't get a bunch of birds it's still worth the trip in to the woods in the fall! If 7th Generation is correct about the coyotes moving on then we may see a rebound of partridge in this area, that is if the turkeys don't drive them out first.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
We have seen plenty of partridge with large second hatches in tow, north of the tracks all summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine