Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a few questions in regards to building a home in Wytopitlock (Reed Plantation).

I am russian and love Maine and used to commercial fish in both Alaska and Portland, ME, so the weather suits me fine.

I know that there are a couple other threads that involve building a home, but a few questions/topics that I have yet to see addressed here.

I bought 68 acres that has power at the road.

Here are my issues:

Pulling building permits...do I need them in an unincorporated area???
Pulling power from the road onto the property...
Drilling a well...
Pouring a foundation...
Home Builders...
Septic System...
Legalities of splitting property into 2 pieces... (I have a brother)
Any machining (aerospace) industry near Houlton?

I know that these questions are rather general, but I love Maine and wish to get the ball rolling so to speak and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvidfranke View Post
Hello,

I have a few questions in regards to building a home in Wytopitlock (Reed Plantation).

I am russian and love Maine and used to commercial fish in both Alaska and Portland, ME, so the weather suits me fine.

I know that there are a couple other threads that involve building a home, but a few questions/topics that I have yet to see addressed here.

Here are my issues:

Drilling a well...
Pouring a foundation...
Home Builders...
Septic System...

I know that these questions are rather general, but I love Maine and wish to get the ball rolling so to speak and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

As for permits- contact the Land Use Reg. Commission that is closest to your land. They can tell you what you need for permits. They can also explain any subdivision issues you may have.

Off the top of my head, you will need a permit for any kind of septic system.

The power company can talk about the power, or contact a local electrician.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Here are my issues:

Yes through the state. There are several online here that can point you to the right department better than I can.

Quote:
Contact Maine Public Service and tell them where you want to set your house. They will come out and take a look to determine if any poles need to be set, or if it is straight Electricians job (Some of whom also set poles, so ask first they may be cheaper than MPS.)

Quote:
Drilling a well...
Pouring a foundation...
Septic System...
Permits and approval all the same place you will get the building permit.

Quote:
Home Builders...
Wish I could help here, but not too familiar with the builders in that area so much.

Quote:
Depends if there are any restrictions on the property from previous splits and it can be quite detailed. Check with either the state or clerk in Houlton on your specific property. NorthernMaineLandMan may be able to point you in the right direction to answer these questions.

Quote:
No aerospace industry in the area. Maybe machining in general though.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Hello,

Here are my issues:

Drilling a well...
Pouring a foundation...
Home Builders...
Septic System...

Thank you.
dayvid - Welcome to Maine !

I bought land in an '"Unincorporated Township" as you did. Mine is in "Argyle" which is located down in Penobscot county.

You said that you have power available at the road, which is a great!

I had to install one electric power pole 100 feet into my property, for a meter to go onto. I got a local electrician to install it, for much cheaper than the electric company quoted me.

You will need to get a building permit from LURC for any structure that is to be 'permanent'.

If your future home was to be a cabin on pontoons or skids [movable] then it would not be considered 'permanent'.

Every building that is to have a stone or concrete foundation will require a permit from LURC.

Before you get the permit you will need to hire a septic design / soil scientist. He will walk around and determine the best location for a septic system, and he will give you the design for your system. You will need a copy of his forms, to attach onto your building permit application.

To get a well drilling you will need to call around and hire a well driller.

There are many Foundation contractors. I would go to your closest concrete quarry, and ask them, who which local foundation contractor they respect the most. Concrete guys work with the foundation guys, and they know which foundation guys are idiots.

My foundation is 40 foot by 60 foot and required a lot of steel rebar. It's forms were placed in one day, it was poured on the second day, and the forms were removed on the third day. A good foundation contractor will be fast, and really know what he is doing. I almost went with a different contractor, I learned later that he makes many mistakes, costs twice as much, and he takes weeks to finish each foundation. So ask around and get recommendations.

I bought a pre-engineered building that was delivered on a truck as a pile of steel girders, beams, purlins, and sheet metal. I have built it myself. I had to hire one guy with a crane for 3 hours, as we stood up 4 arches, but otherwise it has all been possible to build this house as a one man operation.

Septic Systems are easily done by yourself. Just follow the directions that the guy gives you. It is all very easy to understand. In my area a lot of my neighbors all put in their own septic systems.

'Legalities of splitting property into 2 pieces' can be done by yourself. However your best option is a contact a lawyer. A 'Land Transaction' lawyer. they handle this stuff everyday, and they are cheap.

PS. one other thing, before you apply for a building permit. Think hard, is there any other building or structure, that you will want in the future? Put it all into one application. If you get not get around to building everything right now, that is okay. Once LURC has approved a structure to be built, even if you do not get around to building it for 10 years, it is still approved. I have heard stories about folks who did one permit with one building, and than later trying to get a second permit for a barn, and LURC turned it down. So get every possible building into your first application. I put our home on our application, and I put animal stalls, and a tractor barn, and a guest house.

May God bless you

Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Yes. You would get it from the Land Use Regulation Commission in East Millinocket. 207-746-2244, Marcus Russell

Eastern Maine Electric, 207-454-7555, Winnie Johnson

Drilling a well...
Mike Bickford, 207-732-4892

Pouring a foundation...
Lots of good guys. PM me.

Home Builders...
Again, lots of good guys, but check out this site; Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.

Septic System...
Tom Linscott, 207-738-2705

If the land has not been split in the last 5 years you can split it once without asking anybody.

No, but there is an airport. The best company in Houlton to use those kinds of skills is Smith and Wesson. They make pistols, knives and handcuffs.

(Any companies I mention are close to the town the poster has asked about.)

Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,276 times
I thank all of you for your help. As you all know, one of the beautiful things about Maine is the privacy one has, but this also lends to things being difficult to find at times. I now have some resources that I may start with, so I thank you all very much and to say God bless all of you.

Dayvid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine