Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 AM

351 posts, read 667,171 times

Advertisements

I've been out here in the Phoenix area for 6 years and today it is going to be 113 Degrees. I am sick of this place and I have look at just about everywhere to move to in the US and Maine keeps coming up. I was there for one day 3 years ago so I only know what I can find out on the Internet which is nothing like being there yourself. My town in 1.5 million and Augusta in about 20,000 which is a big change. The ocean isn't far away which would be nice to go to on the weekends. I loved the down town area which reminds me of a city and not a town. I have an Irish setter so I might want to rent a house because apartments are far and few between than would allow a dog and as long as I'm about 20 miles from the VA it would be OK. I'm 64 and retired. So I thought I would post this and see what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

277 posts, read 891,842 times
There is going to be a huge difference coming from AZ to Maine...have you ever lived in a cold climate during the winter? Winters here get pretty cold and we tend to get snow by the foot...just make sure you are ready for that. Augusta is a nice area and the towns around it aren't bad..there is cheap property just have to look and weed out the crap from the good.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Mnay nice towns around augusta also, very close

I lived in augusta 3 different times in my life, and it's what you make of it, the most irritating/annoying thing about augusta is all the state workers seem to get out of work about the same time, and jam up the roads, so any locals know when and how to get around that
if thats the worst i can think of....then it's not all that bad

Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM

26 posts, read 41,344 times
Default Augusta

If your moving to Augusta your need to make sure you have a lot of money Home tax's are high water and sewer rates are the highest in the state and you will need to heat your house 9 months out of the year. 95% of the house heat with oil at 3.50 a gal so the average house runs about 4K a year to heat. The cost to register your car will average 500.00 a year for a 2006 and up. That is some of the bad stuff. The schools rank average and keep lowering the stander to make them look better. The job outlook is poor all of the mills and manufacturing has moved to China and the only think here is service jobs at low rates. The State has a hiring freeze in place so that is out. Now the good thing the Rail trail is nice to walk on. and the low crime rate. Augusta has been rated one of the best places to have kids and the sports are good. So like I said if you have a lot of money and don't need to work this is a nice place.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAck View Post
If your moving to Augusta your need to make sure you have a lot of money Home tax's are high water and sewer rates are the highest in the state and you will need to heat your house 9 months out of the year. 95% of the house heat with oil at 3.50 a gal so the average house runs about 4K a year to heat. The cost to register your car will average 500.00 a year for a 2006 and up. That is some of the bad stuff. The schools rank average and keep lowering the stander to make them look better. The job outlook is poor all of the mills and manufacturing has moved to China and the only think here is service jobs at low rates. The State has a hiring freeze in place so that is out. Now the good thing the Rail trail is nice to walk on. and the low crime rate. Augusta has been rated one of the best places to have kids and the sports are good. So like I said if you have a lot of money and don't need to work this is a nice place.
Is this where *you* went to school?

He's 64 and retired. I don't think he's worried about schools or a job...although there could be some need for someone to teach remedial English spelling & grammar, and Reading Comprehension for those unfortunate graduates of those 'average' (cough, cough) schools.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM

404 posts, read 778,129 times
you should be fine renting with your dog. Maine is a very dog firendly place. Check craig's lists, its where I found a number of rentals willing to accept my golden retriever and 2 cats. Why agusta? I'm guessing your wanting to be near togus, check hollowell, and gardner and it might be pushing the distance but you could even look down in Wiscassett, or Brunswick...just for other options.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,784 times
If you're looking for in-town living within a short distance to the Togus VA hospital, Augusta/Hallowell/Gardiner are all good possibilities. Because of all the government workers in the area, expect rents and home prices to be higher than average for the good places. You can also look at Chelsea and Randolph, across the river from Gardiner and much closer to the VA. All of those towns also offer rural living -- even Augusta has some surprising open space.

Be prepared for winter. If you can, find a house with a solid-fuel (wood, pellet, coal) stove to offset heating oil costs. If it's just you and the dog in a small house with good insulation, expect to pay $2,000 or so each winter for heating oil at current prices if that's your sole source of heat. If you have physical handicaps, add the cost of having your driveway plowed and walkways shoveled.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:54 AM

26 posts, read 41,344 times
Default zymer (lib flatlander)

Go back to mass.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAck View Post
zymer (lib flatlander) Go back to mass.
I don't think so, I've come home to stay.

What's this 'lib' stuff? 'Liberal'? LOL, Not me, I'm just about as far to the right as you can get.

I think I'm supposed to be insulted, but...oh, well.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
librarian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine