Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM

114 posts, read 318,949 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting that; did you all see where the average age of these farmers is 52? Put that in your pipe and smoke it, all you young whippersnappers We buy our eggs and beef from a young couple who don't even own more than a few acres in Jericho, VT. They rent the acreage they need for the beef and chickens to graze on (they are all strictly grass-fed, except for the chickens in winter eat some meal) from their neighbors who have more land. They use a cross between an old dual-use breed of cow (Devon cows) and another old beef cow breed whose name escapes me at the moment. The beef is very low in cholesterol, is meltingly tender, and is just the best I've ever had. The chickens and eggs are equally good, and they use the land they do own to grow veggies and herbs to sell at the local farmers' markets and to people who buy shares throughout the summer, and now winter as well. Yep, they are now going all year, with root veggies, hardy greens that winter over well with protection and people are loving it. I agree with tcrackly that it is always best to eat locally grown, when possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 PM

89 posts, read 260,902 times
That article gives me hope! I will be moving to Portland and living there for a couple of years and then exploring the rural areas during that time and when I find an area I like I will move out of Portland. I just hope I can find a nice hobby size farm still close enough to city conveniences. I will be raising dairy goats, sheep, cattle, and a farmer market size garden. I can't wait!....but first things first.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
That article gives me hope! I will be moving to Portland and living there for a couple of years and then exploring the rural areas during that time and when I find an area I like I will move out of Portland. I just hope I can find a nice hobby size farm still close enough to city conveniences. I will be raising dairy goats, sheep, cattle, and a farmer market size garden. I can't wait!....but first things first.
What will you do with the dairy goats? I miss having fresh milk every day. We had Toggenburgs and Sanaans, and Dexter cattle.

Today I pulled a few onions that were self sown in a greenhouse last summer, transplanted greens, carried enough water to be a little achy tonight (well water is too cold), seeded lettuce, tatsoi and mache in the ground in a gh, pulled weeds, admired seedlings on the grow racks under lights (leeks, tomatoes x3, eggplant, sage) and a few other things. It's nice to take a break in early winter and nicer to get back to work in late winter when you live on a market farm.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do like homemade chips.

We are making potato chips tonight too!

Oh yea, me too I season them with some old bay or jalapeno salt. Whats your poison forest?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We have some BBQ seasoned salt that is pretty good.

Tomorrow night I will likely do another batch of corn chips, with salsa.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have some BBQ seasoned salt that is pretty good.

Tomorrow night I will likely do another batch of corn chips, with salsa.
Those are good too, the first time I did Potato and tortilla chips my kids didn't belive me that I made them, Know my oldest daughter comes home from college and has to have make them so she has them in her dorm room " It helps me study Dad, Pleeeesssee."

Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
I find the article misleading, but as a farmer in Maine I probably would. In farming when something is touted up in the news papers as "successful farming", the latest trend has reached the saturation point and its about to go bust. Markets present themselves, and erode quickly in agriculture.

I think you will find that Veggie Farms are at that point. Every town practically has a farmers market, and the guy that runs our local CSA claims he has to run to Portland 90 miles south to get enough price to make it worth his time. In effect he is not selling local at all, but dragging his farm behind his truck and babysitting a parkinglot. As he said, people here have plenty of land and can grow their own gardens.

Another consideration is age. Something like 75% of the farm land in Maine is owned by people over 60 years old and will be transferred to the next generation in the next few years. This is pretty scary as the majority of the next generation do not want to get into farming...a national trend actually. Even the ones that do start into farming, many do not stick with it. We have seen the Government pay for many a farm here and then 7 years later they are selling the farm for house lots. Farming is a tough business and few can afford the bust times or the work ethic required.

The article mentions losing 4000 acres in this state which may not sound like much, but in the 34 years I have been here, my county has lost an incredible amount of arable land. In fact just 100 years ago it was 90% ag land and 10% woods. Now its 10% agland and 90% woods. That's quite the swap. I really wish people would not minimize this fact. I live in a town that has some of the best soil in the state of Maine, and yet there is very little effort here to preserve the farmland here. That needs to change.

What gets me is these types of articles talk about farming techniques that use niche markets to bump up higher than average markets. My question is pretty simple; if they are touted up and everyone gets into them, what is so niche about that now? We call it farming fads because they just don't last.

They say history repeats itself and if that mantra holds true, we are in the same pattern we were in the late 70's. What followed was some tough economic times for farmers. It will be interesting to read the articles on farmers whinning about bust times next year.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 AM

89 posts, read 260,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
What will you do with the dairy goats? I miss having fresh milk every day. We had Toggenburgs and Sanaans, and Dexter cattle.
I will be breeding Lamancha dairy goats... I prefer their attitude on life they are not near as annoying (imho) as Nubians and are sweeter and more "pet-like" than the Alpine breeds (Toggs, Saanens, Alpine, Oberhasli). Plus it is in this breed that my experience lies. Apart from breeding and showing I also have an interest in cheesing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
...the guy that runs our local CSA claims he has to run to Portland 90 miles south to get enough price to make it worth his time...

Another consideration is age. Something like 75% of the farm land in Maine is owned by people over 60 years old and will be transferred to the next generation in the next few years. This is pretty scary as the majority of the next generation do not want to get into farming...
I understand the frustation having to drive a great distance to make it worthwhile. However, on my parents market farm (NW MN) we drove 5 hours south to the Twin Cities to sell our veggies and meats. The larger the population center the better price you can get. I also looked at it not as an annoyance but as a charity to the poor city dwellers (which I now am). Frankly, it is the nature of the beast; but with great products, integrity, and just a bit of ingenuity I feel that the demand for home grown and organic type products will only increase.

There are some of the next generation who WILL be farming - take hope and not to sound evil but the more good land for cheap due to a lack of demand sounds pretty good to me!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
I think you will find that Veggie Farms are at that point. Every town practically has a farmers market, and the guy that runs our local CSA claims he has to run to Portland 90 miles south to get enough price to make it worth his time. In effect he is not selling local at all, but dragging his farm behind his truck and babysitting a parkinglot. As he said, people here have plenty of land and can grow their own gardens.
I can't make sense of this. Why is he operating a CSA if it's not worth his time? CSA is indeed local. the C of CSA being community, so that comment doesn't make sense to me either. Most people don't grow their own gardens. If they did we wouldn't have a need for produce departments in grocery stores and farmers markets.

Is the milk your farm produces staying local? The three dairies in WaCo sell to Hood. It goes to New York.
Quote:
Another consideration is age. Something like 75% of the farm land in Maine is owned by people over 60 years old and will be transferred to the next generation in the next few years. This is pretty scary as the majority of the next generation do not want to get into farming...a national trend actually.
The majority of the next generation does not want want to get into law, medicine or any one thing. sn't the number of young farmers is increasing?
Quote:
Even the ones that do start into farming, many do not stick with it. We have seen the Government pay for many a farm here and then 7 years later they are selling the farm for house lots. Farming is a tough business and few can afford the bust times or the work ethic required.
I think the young farmers who have to start from scratch are going to work hard to keep what they've built.
Quote:
The article mentions losing 4000 acres in this state which may not sound like much, but in the 34 years I have been here, my county has lost an incredible amount of arable land. In fact just 100 years ago it was 90% ag land and 10% woods. Now its 10% agland and 90% woods. That's quite the swap. I really wish people would not minimize this fact. I live in a town that has some of the best soil in the state of Maine, and yet there is very little effort here to preserve the farmland here. That needs to change.
I hope so too but as you've said many times on CD, when newcomers show up they're not welcomed into your area. It's a shame more farmers aren't willing to work together. Perhaps some of the established farmers should be buying this land to keep it in farmland.

Quote:
What gets me is these types of articles talk about farming techniques that use niche markets to bump up higher than average markets. My question is pretty simple; if they are touted up and everyone gets into them, what is so niche about that now? We call it farming fads because they just don't last.
What fads have you seen come and go?

I think we'll see more natural methods come and stay as people learn about the hazards and disadvantages of what's common now.

Quote:
They say history repeats itself and if that mantra holds true, we are in the same pattern we were in the late 70's. What followed was some tough economic times for farmers. It will be interesting to read the articles on farmers whinning about bust times next year.
It started long before the 70's when the USDA started telling farmers to get big or get out. We see how well that worked. Most everyone is in economic tough times but being in dairy cattle, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

The whining does get old fast. "It's so hard..." A lot of work is hard. It's time to stop whining about what we know is hard and chose to become involved with anyway. There's no value or pride in whining about our choices. A saying we hear often lately is "put on your big girl panties and deal with it." When we choose hard work or work we know isn't going to make us millionairs we need to live up to our choices with pride, not whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
I understand the frustation having to drive a great distance to make it worthwhile. However, on my parents market farm (NW MN) we drove 5 hours south to the Twin Cities to sell our veggies and meats. The larger the population center the better price you can get. I also looked at it not as an annoyance but as a charity to the poor city dwellers (which I now am). Frankly, it is the nature of the beast; but with great products, integrity, and just a bit of ingenuity I feel that the demand for home grown and organic type products will only increase.
It has been here. I think you'll be pleased with the growth and understanding of fresh food and its value when you get here.

Quote:
There are some of the next generation who WILL be farming - take hope and not to sound evil but the more good land for cheap due to a lack of demand sounds pretty good to me!
Good luck! We need new farmers here. I DM'ed you.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
I find the article misleading, but as a farmer in Maine I probably would. In farming when something is touted up in the news papers as "successful farming", the latest trend has reached the saturation point and its about to go bust. Markets present themselves, and erode quickly in agriculture.
Yes. Ag markets cycle Boom / Bust.

Quote:
... I think you will find that Veggie Farms are at that point. Every town practically has a farmers market, and the guy that runs our local CSA claims he has to run to Portland 90 miles south to get enough price to make it worth his time. In effect he is not selling local at all, but dragging his farm behind his truck and babysitting a parkinglot. As he said, people here have plenty of land and can grow their own gardens.
I was a vendor at the Orono FM, where I learned many things. Among them is that most of those vendors are members of 4 or more FMs. And they do travel great distances, so they can babysit parking lots 6 days a week.

Quote:
... Another consideration is age. Something like 75% of the farm land in Maine is owned by people over 60 years old and will be transferred to the next generation in the next few years. This is pretty scary as the majority of the next generation do not want to get into farming...a national trend actually. Even the ones that do start into farming, many do not stick with it. We have seen the Government pay for many a farm here and then 7 years later they are selling the farm for house lots. Farming is a tough business and few can afford the bust times or the work ethic required.
I attended a workshop of trans-generational transfers of farms. It is difficult to setup and few young people are focused on doing it.

Quote:
... The article mentions losing 4000 acres in this state which may not sound like much, but in the 34 years I have been here, my county has lost an incredible amount of arable land. In fact just 100 years ago it was 90% ag land and 10% woods. Now its 10% agland and 90% woods. That's quite the swap. I really wish people would not minimize this fact. I live in a town that has some of the best soil in the state of Maine, and yet there is very little effort here to preserve the farmland here. That needs to change.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine