Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times

Advertisements

I knew they needed more money in Augusta (who doesn't) but this and the salt water fishing license seems a bit over the top. What do ya think.

Bill would mandate canoe, kayak licenses - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/101259.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,256 times
I hate it, but if we must tax kayaks/canoes - then add the following as well:
hiking, walking in locally owned parks, swimming, sailing, sunbathing...shoot, anything that involves the outdoors.

I already emailed my rep to not support this, hopefully it will fail.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
If they listen to us, then it will.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default a canoe tax!!!!!!!!!!!

A canoe tax !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not again!!!!!!!!!

I would assume bicycles are next as they share the road with cars.

Pardon me while I contact your legislators!!!!!!!!!!!

"leave no tracks", just your tax..........

You would think hand powered craft would be rewarded as no emmisions are produced during their operation.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
sigh

We can hope it fails.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,667 times
I'm still mulling this one over. I have always thought that the cost burden for Maine's woods and waters has been unfairly balanced on the backs of hunters, fishermen and motor boaters. I can't say I know what the solution is, but I do know that there are literally millions that enjoy these awesome resources and it cost them $0. I pay for my fishing license, hunting license, boat registration, boat trailer registration, and I license my dog. Maybe someone else can step up to the plate so I don't have to carry more of that burden.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm still mulling this one over. I have always thought that the cost burden for Maine's woods and waters has been unfairly balanced on the backs of hunters, fishermen and motor boaters. I can't say I know what the solution is, but I do know that there are literally millions that enjoy these awesome resources and it cost them $0. I pay for my fishing license, hunting license, boat registration, boat trailer registration, and I license my dog. Maybe someone else can step up to the plate so I don't have to carry more of that burden.

I agree about all the various licenses. Only problem, they still will increase those fees anyway. It's like anything else, if it is something that people enjoy doing and it's "free"....tax it!

I say tax bird watchers. Tax people who just take wildlife photos. Tax children for being outdoors. Tax folks who like to sit and watch the waves at the ocean.

Heck, let's just find out what activities aren't taxed yet and tax them all. Stop the nickle and dime stuff and do it with one tax bill. Call it the Anything Free Tax Bill. If someone isn't sure if the activity they are doing comes under this bill....pay the tax anyway.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default cost cuts

Maine F&W would do well to relieve themselves of search and rescue responsibilities.
That should come from a seperate budget. Encourage and organize volunteers as well as established town S&R teams to participate.

A canoe is a tool for most folks who trap, fish and hunt and pay for licenses. No boat launches or take outs are required, no gas or oil spilled into pristine lakes. No wakes to mess with nesting loons. No noise to irritate folks who wish to enjoy a quiet experience. Seems people should be paid to use canoes, not discouraged.

This is a plan to collect money that ends up in the general fund. There is no other reason to levy a tax on canoeists other than to create a new revenue source.

One hiccup of inept or innefficient process or practice in state government and the collected canoe tax money ends up in the trash.

Like every other state all we hear is more taxes are required. When do we ever hear a process or innefficiency was corrected and thus a tax raise or tax creation was averted? Until that happens taxes should be capped.

The administrative costs, enforcement diversion, printing and mailing tags would take away from the money raised.

A tax would discourage out of state boaters as well as fishing licenses sales, etc. Lot of unhappy residents out there as well.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
sigh

We can hope it fails.
Forest - I agree completely...HUGE sighhhhhhhh...

Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I don't like this bill but I agree with you. Hunters pay to manage everyone's deer herd. Non-hunters enjoy the wildlife and many of them whine about us. I've never met a non-hunter who buys a license to support wildlife. I wouldn't fuss about registering canoes and kayaks. If we want to enjoy the resources why not pay a few dollars to register the craft you're using?

How is this law going to be enforced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine