Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

if i were in your shoes, id go to sleepers grocery store in caribou, do some shopping, ask for dave,(owner) tell him how much you like the store, and then ask him if he knows any places to rent (im sure he knows the right folks to ask)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,756 times
Well, we're taking the one on the base. It's a 4 br which is great. They're not charging extra for the cats but are considering whether to charge a deposit or not. We hopfully move in next week. I'd rather a house but have to take what we can get at this point. It includes heat, snow removal, trash, sewer and water. We just pay electric, cable and satellite. $700 a month.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help

Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
That's a great deal at the price!!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Well, we're taking the one on the base. It's a 4 br which is great. They're not charging extra for the cats but are considering whether to charge a deposit or not. We hopfully move in next week. I'd rather a house but have to take what we can get at this point. It includes heat, snow removal, trash, sewer and water. We just pay electric, cable and satellite. $700 a month.

Glad you found a place! Now that you have one, you can settle in and "let it be known" that you would rather have a house... after a few months, you can even ask someone in charge of your rental to come do a walk-through, "just to make sure everything is ok, especially with the cats." Depending on the vibe, I might even be up front and tell them you are wanting to have a good reference for the future and want to do all you can to assure one from the beginning. Then you will have such to offer potential landlords who may be on the fence.

Our solution when we first got here was to rent a "dump" as we knew it was only going to be temporary housing. We gave it back in better shape than when we got it, despite 8 cats and a Saint Bernard, which blew the landlords's mind. Knowing the place now, though, and the caliber of folks he likely was used to dealing with, I know he was expecting the worst, too.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post

Good deal. Glad you and the kitties will stay together! I hope people read your posts and heed the warnings about trying to get an apartment with pets.....it IS difficult! Moral to the story is..... don't get a pet until you own the home!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:05 AM

4 posts, read 5,804 times
Im moving to Maine also, had a hard time finding housing that allowed cats or dogs.. it was frustrating. I found housing with a realtor and I also did a lot of research for housing on Craigslist.
I had to pay a deposit on our declawed cat. I bit the bullet and got it over with. If you pay a deposit, and your cat doesn't do damage, you will get it back.
You will save more money I'm sure by giving a deposit and getting out of that hotel.
I have an automatic cat box too.. its the best!
I understand why they ask for deposit. There are so many people who don't take care of their cats and they do stink the whole place up. Those people make it harder for people like us to find housing.
I say.. bite the bullet and put down deposit to get out of that hotel.
Meow

Old 09-10-2009, 05:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Congratulations on your new home FNolan!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
That's great news!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,756 times
Thanks Everyone

The people that take care of the property are trying their best to get us in there this weekend, early next week at the latest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine