Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

44 posts, read 78,486 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I just wrote a post about this and it dissapeared! I want to ask about oil companies, the best ones, best prices etc. I looked at the website for Dead River and they have the Easy Cap plan. Is this the best way to go? Seems like it would be a good plan. Any info would be greatly appreciated. this is all new to me of course! Will need to have some delivered, we will be moving up this week and will arrive on Friday. The electric will be turned on Thursday.

Also my dad who is from NYC but has lived in SC for years said he remembers that people would put heaters in their vehicles in the radiator to keep them from freezing. He said they ran a long cord from the house to plug in the heater. Is this still done and where does one find these heaters? Never heard of anything like this before!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
This may get you started on prices: Oil Prices

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
I think most oil companies have that type of program that Dead River has. Basically, instead of getting hammered with an huge oil bill at the peak of the season, you are paying it out over a longer period of time.

I pay cash price whenever we need a fill-up. I know plenty of folks around here lock in there oil price right around this time of year. That might be a good move if prices skyrocket, but they can also fall precipitously, like they did last year. I also know we keep our house colder than most folks (62-64 when we are there). Keeping your house at 70 and above really burns the fuel. Its cheaper to put on a sweatshirt!

As for the engine heaters, that typically refers to diesel engines. Diesel fuel can gel at cold temps. It is cut with kerosene in the winter months to prevent this, but it can still happen. Also, if you have a vehicle with "summer diesel" in it and want to start it up in Feburary...you might have some problems.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 184,536 times
What your father is speaking of is a block heater, which warms the anti freeze. Some still use them on extremely cold days, say -20 or more. They help the engine warm up faster so to throw heat sooner. It is also easier on the engine so it doesn't have to start with the block and internal parts and lube at outside temps. I don't use one because I am lucky enough to have a garage. Unheated but keeping a vehicle out of the wind makes a big difference also. Hope this helps!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 AM

85 posts, read 184,536 times
And as for locking in oil, I don't. I take the chance on prices being fairly steady. I haven't got burned yet. If you lock in and the price goes BELOW your contract price, you may have to pay the contract price. I have known a few ppl to get caught this way, becareful to read the contract! Good luck.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
block heaters can make a huge difference on the really cold nights. The difference between starting and not starting! If you don't have a garage, I'd recommend one.
Sometimes it's good to be a procrastinator ..........the last few years I didn't get around to locking in an oil price.....and saved money as a result! Some folks locked in last winter and got burned big time (no pun intended). The price dropped so much.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
And as for locking in oil, I don't. I take the chance on prices being fairly steady. I haven't got burned yet. If you lock in and the price goes BELOW your contract price, you may have to pay the contract price. I have known a few ppl to get caught this way, becareful to read the contract! Good luck.

I agree. This is one area where I have always "gambled" and rarely - if ever lost. Of course, my situation may be different then others who may be on a fixed income. I supplement with wood - to me, it's worth it. It makes a huge difference both in terms of the oil bill and the electric bill because I have a fairly drafty downstairs with 3 zones altogether in the house. It seems when one zone is warm enough, the other zone kicks the furnace on. With the wood heat it hardly kicks on at all. It took a year or so when we first moved in here to be able to gauge how long it would be before I had to fill up. I've got it down to a science now.

I guess a lot would depend on how much it costs to heat your home, whether or not you're on a fixed income, and whether or not you choose to supplement with either wood, pellets, or another source like gas.

I also choose to go with a smaller, well-known, family run oil company.
Back when I was in a mobile home, my furnace froze up fairly soon after a fill-up. The owner of the oil company I purchased from came out and checked out the tank. Although he had had no other complaints about any type of h2o in the fuel, he offered to pay half of the cost to get a repair man out to restart the furnace. That sold me - I've been a loyal customer ever since, and now he's big enough to provide burner service as well. Where are you located?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Some heaters heat the oil. I have one on my tractor that heats the oil. Another option my father used to use was a heated dipstick. The dipstick keeps the oil warm enough for the engine to turn over easily. Thick oil makes the engine hard to turn and starters have trouble enough turning a warm engine when it's very cold out.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
We locked in oil price last year and it dropped several times during the season. We were still paying more for oil than most people but we got it all back in a big credit this year. Our oil is going to cost us $69.00 a month this winter with the credit. Yay!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM

44 posts, read 78,486 times
Reloop, We will be in Fort Fairfield. Where do I get the heater for the car? Its an SUV.

Can anyone recommend a local company for oil? Could they deliver for our arrival on Friday or do I have to be there? And we are on a fixed income so I am a little worried about the costs.

Thanks for all the tips everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine