Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,890 times

Advertisements

We are from Seattle and flying in to Boston in April to "just drive" the new England states..any suggestion where to go? I would love to hit Booothbay harbor..it looks awesome. We like NON tourist stuff and my hubby loves lobster. We like the coast and then would like to head inland..please post suggestions..also love history stuff. thanks Cher Strand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM

216 posts, read 645,568 times
Many real Mainers will jump in here to help. I'm more of a frequent tourist. And all of my trips have been north of the Rockland / Camden area.

The view from Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park should not be missed. The Schoodic Point over by Winter Harbor is really quite impressive. In April the tourist will still be pretty scarce.

When we go up the relatives always take us out at least once to Ruth and Wimpys in Hancock for lobster.Hope they are still in business.

Only been up once in 25 years in April. We happened to catch a bad black fly season inland on that trip. But truly you will not regret a road trip to north east Maine.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
How long are you planning to be in New England? There are many great places to visit. I doubt you'll have to worry about running into many tourists in April. Once you get into Maine take Rt. 1 for the scenic route up to Acadia National Park lots of interesting places along the way. Rt. 2 is a nice drive through inland parts of Maine, Rt. 17 to the Rangeley area. Then head into NH, VT, Lake Champlain. If you were going to visit Boothbay Harbor in July or August, I think it would qualify as "touristy stuff." Here are a few links you might find helpful. They don't even begin to touch on all the noteworthy & gorgeous places in New England.

Bucksport, Maine Ghosts

Maine.gov: Travel & Recreation

Maine Maple Producers Association

Maine History Maine State History, History of Maine, Main Culture

Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – White Mountains, New Hampshire (NH)

Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
Many real Mainers will jump in here to help. I'm more of a frequent tourist. And all of my trips have been north of the Rockland / Camden area.

The view from Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park should not be missed. The Schoodic Point over by Winter Harbor is really quite impressive. In April the tourist will still be pretty scarce.

When we go up the relatives always take us out at least once to Ruth and Wimpys in Hancock for lobster.Hope they are still in business.

Only been up once in 25 years in April. We happened to catch a bad black fly season inland on that trip. But truly you will not regret a road trip to north east Maine.
Ruth and Wimpy's is great, but don't forget Jordan's Snack Bar in Ellsworth

Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM

216 posts, read 645,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Ruth and Wimpy's is great, but don't forget Jordan's Snack Bar in Ellsworth
LOL. Mrs. IRV is a true Mainer with as strong opinions as many of the hard heads on this board...except hers are about food and restaurants. We were at Jordan's and she got some lobster roll that was too salty. You know how the lines can be at Jordan's. She went off like a wet hen when it wasn't fixed.
But yeah Jordan's is good too.

Just not sure if Mrs. IRV will ever go back.

Last edited by IRV007; 03-27-2010 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
LOL. Mrs. IRV is a true Mainer with as strong opinions as many of the hard heads on this board...except hers are about food and restaurants. We were at Jordan's and she got some lobster roll that was too salty. You know how the lines can be at Jordan's. She went off like a wet hen when it wasn't fixed.
But yeah Jordan's is good too.

Just not sure if Mrs. IRV will ever go back.
Hi: I am probably one of those hard heads with strong opinions, but I am usually open to a healthy debate/discussion. I like to think of myself as an independent thinker. Of course some opinions will never change. Your wife reminds me of a relative of mine whose haddock wasn't extremely well done....started singing the praises of Ruth and Wimpys until they fell short a time or two. ") I admit I have noticed minor inconsistencies at Jordans--maybe it depends on who is cooking. Jimmy is usually outside "supervising." Did she say anything to him? You know what those lines mean, don't ya? The food is worth waiting for ...and you gotta love Wednesday nights

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 03-28-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
the boothbay harbor area, is a beautiful area, closeby, also visit, christmas cove in south bristol, and pemaquid area, you can drive right to the(pemaquid) lighthouse and walk out on the rocks- with waves crashing below you

Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 17,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrand2008 View Post
We are from Seattle and flying in to Boston in April to "just drive" the new England states..any suggestion where to go? I would love to hit Booothbay harbor..it looks awesome. We like NON tourist stuff and my hubby loves lobster. We like the coast and then would like to head inland..please post suggestions..also love history stuff. thanks Cher Strand
If you like history stuff and you will be in Bar Harbor at all then you may enjoy a visit to the Abbe Museum. It's small but has a great collection of local native american exhibits dating back to the 1800's. Mount Desert Island (Bar Harbor) actually has a pretty interesting historical relationship with maine natives. I just checked their events calendar and they are having a fancy basket workshop on April 24 with a renowned basketmaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine