Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 104,951 times

Advertisements

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! It's been almost a year since we moved to Maine. We are still liking it but not this cruddy winter! HA HA. I found a job within 2 weeks of moving here and have made lots a great friends. We love the OH Transportation Museum. My husband is taking flying lessons the Knox County Airport and started a flying club with 9 other people called the Owls Head Fliers. I still miss Upstate NY but this is home now. Thanks for all the well wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW007 View Post
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! It's been almost a year since we moved to Maine. We are still liking it but not this cruddy winter! HA HA. I found a job within 2 weeks of moving here and have made lots a great friends. We love the OH Transportation Museum. My husband is taking flying lessons the Knox County Airport and started a flying club with 9 other people called the Owls Head Fliers. I still miss Upstate NY but this is home now. Thanks for all the well wishes!
Glad to hear you like it! we are all getting impatient with the weather we want spring!!! warmer-sunny days! but they are coming

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM

379 posts, read 512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW007 View Post
Where did you live Upstate? I'm trying to make a decision on relocation between upstate (near Syracuse) and NH/So. Maine. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM

326 posts, read 433,925 times
Oh what a neat thread!
First of all, welcome! I will be moving up there soon (to the state I mean). Not as young as you, but not ancient either... I love cooking and I work with wines. If there's anything I can help on your cooking and matching the wines, let me know. Keep us posted on your new life.
Best of luck to you and your puppies.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Where did you live Upstate? I'm trying to make a decision on relocation between upstate (near Syracuse) and NH/So. Maine. Thanks.
Please check housing prices in both markets. I spent a day with a family in 2009 moving from Rochester to Greater Portland that wanted a similar house from where they were moving and they were off by about $200,000. They wound up asking their relocation company for a different agent, I guess they wanted me to tell them what they wanted to hear rather than what they needed to hear. Two years later they haven't bought a home in Cumberland County yet, perhaps they went back or are renting.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Please check housing prices in both markets. I spent a day with a family in 2009 moving from Rochester to Greater Portland that wanted a similar house from where they were moving and they were off by about $200,000. They wound up asking their relocation company for a different agent, I guess they wanted me to tell them what they wanted to hear rather than what they needed to hear. Two years later they haven't bought a home in Cumberland County yet, perhaps they went back or are renting.
We noticed that too when we were in Upstate NY. At that time our house in Southern Maine was valued at around $440,000 (it's not much lower now). A house on a lake with a boat house in Skaniateles (sp?) NY, which is a very upscale community, could be had for $250,000 to $300,000! Surrounding areas were far less expensive.We thought it was quite a deal to live in upstate NY. Plus it's every bit as nice as Maine. The lakes are beautiful, dotted with great wineries, and lots of farms and open areas. I'd live there anytime.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 PM

379 posts, read 512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I would agree- a home in Syracuse or Rochester that is $200k would be $400k in Southern Maine or NH. Taxes, however, in Maine seem to be hovering around $18.00 per thousand in most parts of So. ME, in upstate they are $28-35 per thousand, on par or higher than NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We noticed that too when we were in Upstate NY. At that time our house in Southern Maine was valued at around $440,000 (it's not much lower now). A house on a lake with a boat house in Skaniateles (sp?) NY, which is a very upscale community, could be had for $250,000 to $300,000! Surrounding areas were far less expensive.We thought it was quite a deal to live in upstate NY. Plus it's every bit as nice as Maine. The lakes are beautiful, dotted with great wineries, and lots of farms and open areas. I'd live there anytime.
I will buy you that house in Skaneatlas (sp?) in exchange for your house in Southern Maine...jk. No, but I agree, both areas are strikingly beautiful and to me, just far enough away from the rat race to have some peace in your life, but not in the sticks completely. There certainly seems to be great buys in upstate NY. I do wonder how long that will remain and how much of an effect the proposed natural gas drilling will impact the quality of life there. That is making me a little hesitant to buy and makes me more interested in So. ME or NH due to this, to be honest.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Thank you. It's starting to look a little like spring.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Hello. I'm from Rochester, NY. It's about an hour and half west of Syracuse. Rochester is also heavily surrounded by water so I feel right at home here in the mid-coast of Maine. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Oh what a neat thread!
First of all, welcome! I will be moving up there soon (to the state I mean). Not as young as you, but not ancient either... I love cooking and I work with wines. If there's anything I can help on your cooking and matching the wines, let me know. Keep us posted on your new life.
Best of luck to you and your puppies.
That is very kind of you! Thanks. When will you be moving here and what part? We have a nice winery within walking distance to our house in Owls Head. They use Cayuga grapes in some of their wines and it feels just like home! We haven't done as much cooking here as we had hoped but we really enjoy the fresh ingredients we can get here.
Keep me posted on your move up here! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine