Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,994 times

Advertisements

Got an offer in Aberdeen army base, and not sure where to live. Probably should be close to Aberdeen.

Never been to there before, I have too many questions:

1. Please suggest a community for living(studio preferred, hope under $800 per month, or shared apartment), any good websites for looking for a room? Supermarket close by.

2. I don't have a car, and don't have money to afford a car soon. So need to live as close as possible, not sure about the public transportation there. Maybe I need to buy a bicycle for the first two months, then buy an used car. What kind of road around Aberdeen army base? Highway or regular road? Can I ride my bicycle on the road? Where can I buy an used car nearby? Do they deliver the car(I took the road test and got my driver license, but don't really drive, need a few more days of practice)?

3. Any public library in edgewood? Printing some forms, like phone bill with new address for MD driver license.

I know some questions sound stupid, but I really have no ideas about that area, and the relocation period is so short.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM

103 posts, read 410,128 times
You would want to get a car as soon as possible, although if you live within the City of Aberdeen you might be ok, but in the wintertime it's going to be brutal having to walk everywhere. Harford county does have limited public transportation Harford County Maryland - Harford Transit you can also get a cab. I'm not too familiar with Aberdeen but I believe there are apartments for around your rent, particularly right off of I-95.

There are plenty of used car dealers particularly along the Route 40 corridor (which aberdeen is apart of).

Yes there are public libraries in Edgewood (and Aberdeen). Harford County Public Library - Branches & Maps

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,994 times
TODAY ONLY! (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/1991713246.html - broken link)

How about this community? Is it okay for living there? Or at least living for a few months?

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 30,381 times
Hi,

I moved here 2 years ago from Ohio to take a contract job at APG-Edgewood. I wish I had asked questions like you are doing. The biggest issue for me was sticker shock. Groceries, rent, utilities, car registration, car insurance, state income tax, all skyrocketed for me. Honestly, the $800 a month rent you may find at an apartment complex will likely only be good for the first year. I have heard that rents skyrocket the next year. Also, if you rent your own place, you are responsible for the BGE bill. Just a warning, these bills are ridiculous ($400 in winter for a townhouse).

I have been renting rooms since I moved out here from Cragislist or roommates.com. I'm on my 4th townhouse... I've had problems with roommates. It's not an ideal situation, but it does work. It was all I could afford.

Buying a car...You will need one in Harford county. I used to bike to school/work in Ohio, but there's no way I would do it out here. Way too dangerous with all the traffic. Depending on where you are relocating from, titling, tagging, and insuring the car is going to cost a small fortune.

Ultimately, everyone's experience is different, but if I had known what I know now, I don't think I would have moved to Maryland for the job. With that said, I am doing my best to try and get out of it. I've had enough.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
Does anyone know anyone that lives either in Howard county or Glen Burnie area and commutes to APG? My husband got a job offer in APG but we dont want to move near APG because my work is south/west of Maryland.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 PM

21 posts, read 77,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwski View Post
Does anyone know anyone that lives either in Howard county or Glen Burnie area and commutes to APG? My husband got a job offer in APG but we dont want to move near APG because my work is south/west of Maryland.
I actually turned down an offer at APG and I live in Parkville, a clear 180 degrees on the other side of the city from Glen Burnie and an hour's drive closer. I live MUCH closer than you guys do yet considered APG too far for me, I don't know how your husband is going to be able to drive an hour fifteen minutes (minimum!!!) up I-95 and still pay a toll both ways.

Found a more flexible job much closer for not too much less in pay. Wow, Glen Burnie is a hike. Maybe he could wait for another offer or take the job but keep looking for something similar at Ft. Meade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland