Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM

13 posts, read 22,420 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the DC suburbs of MD next spring. My husband will be working at Walter Reed and wants to commute using the metro.

We have been looking heavily at the Rockville area, but most 3 bedroom rentals up there are $$$$$. I've found some affordable townhouse rentals in the Shady Grove/Redland area. Specifically in the neighborhood just south of Shady Grove Middle School.

I was just curious about the opinions on the area. We will have a elementary school student and a preschooler who will need a good daycare. The elementary school (Mill Creek Towne or something like that?) seems to be decent based on greatschools.org reviews.

Would you say the area is safe? We've lived in small town Texas and Kansas and really have no experience with a more metropolitan area.

Also would you say the commute from north Rockville to Walter Reed is reasonable? From my research I'm estimating 35-45 minutes by driving to Shady Grove station, taking the metro to Medical Center station and walking to Walter Reed. Is that too hopeful?

Any and all info on the Rockville area would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I'd say the area is safe, but don't expect to leave bicycles outside or leave your doors unlocked. I also suggest putting the address in the spotcrime.com website.

If you found an affordable place, you might also check with the management to see if it is "income limited" housing. The county has had to force some developers to provide units for moderate income people.

You might also look into living further out in Gathersburg or Germantown for less costly alternatives.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-22-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd say the area is safe, but don't expect to leave bicycles outside or leave your doors unlocked.

If you found an affordable place, you might also check with the management to see if it is "income limited" housing. The county has had to force some developers to provide units for moderate income people.

You might also look into living further out in Gathersburg or Germantown for less costly alternatives.
Thank you!

Our biggest problem has been our dog, who is a 70 pound boxer. Doesn't seem like a lot of places are willing to allow a large dog. I found a townhouse I loved with a great elementary and super close to the Shady Grove station, and of course no pets allowed at all. The price I pay for being a dog lover.

I will definitely look into Gaithersburg and Germantown. Are they comparable to Rockville school and safety wise?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM

490 posts, read 924,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaf87 View Post
Thank you!

Our biggest problem has been our dog, who is a 70 pound boxer. Doesn't seem like a lot of places are willing to allow a large dog. I found a townhouse I loved with a great elementary and super close to the Shady Grove station, and of course no pets allowed at all. The price I pay for being a dog lover.

I will definitely look into Gaithersburg and Germantown. Are they comparable to Rockville school and safety wise?
Overall...there good school in both areas Gaithersburg and Germantown......its simply on where you look.....Germantown (You should either look in South Germantown or Milestone area)......Gaithersburg (Orchand pond area/lakeland area or Rio Washingtonian area).........Truthfully you can't go wrong either way.......Montgomery county has the top schools in the nation!!!!!.......Good luck

Old 08-22-2013, 12:35 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Gaithersburg - look in 20878 zip code area for good schools.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM

If we go the Germantown route, how bad is the traffic in the morning to get from Germantown to Shady Grove metro station?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
If we go the Germantown route, how bad is the traffic in the morning to get from Germantown to Shady Grove metro station?
Traffic on 270 will be very heavy. Same thing on Great Seneca Hwy (119).

Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 AM

52 posts, read 175,401 times
For your husband's commute, you are right to stay within a few miles of Shady Grove or Rockville metro stations. The other end at Walter Reed is an easy walk, but consider where the Ride-On bus lines run, if he might take a bus, and otherwise, be prepared to park in large parking structure at Shady Grove that can take 10 minutes to find your space and get to the platform. Renting or buying makes a big difference as rules about dogs, parking and other life events can be difficult with some rental rules. Montgomery County Public Schools has a good website for school info, and there is good daycare in the area as well as summer camps run by the City of Gaithersburg, and the City of Rockville.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM

62 posts, read 188,926 times
Quote:
It depends on what time of the morning he'll be leaving. Before 7am can take 15 minutes or so but between 7am and 10am would take a half hour or longer depending on traffic.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 28,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Burg Native View Post
It depends on what time of the morning he'll be leaving. Before 7am can take 15 minutes or so but between 7am and 10am would take a half hour or longer depending on traffic.
I live in Germantown (off Great Seneca Highway), and I commute taking 270/370/Shady Grove Metro exit. I leave anywhere between 8 and 9 am, and it only takes me 15 minutes to reach that exit (unless there's rain or snow). Yes, traffic on 270 is usually heavy after 6:30 am, but I'm only on for a very short stretch and just stay in the far right lane.

But, Montgomery County is just an awful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland