Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM

53 posts, read 107,734 times

Advertisements

i am a farmer in nearby mt. airy and i want to see what other people say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcountryboy View Post
It certainly USED to be a farming area.
But then all of that area was at one time.

What statistics does the Co Extension Agent have for ag acreage now?

Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,936 times
Quote:
Isn't Woodbine about 15 minutes from you? Couldn't you simply drive down the road? Why would anyone know better than someone who lives in your area? I'm not trying to be flippant, but the question strikes me as odd. It doesn't look any different than your immediate area on Google maps as far as farm acreage. It looks to be a farming area.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM

53 posts, read 107,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Isn't Woodbine about 15 minutes from you? Couldn't you simply drive down the road? Why would anyone know better than someone who lives in your area? I'm not trying to be flippant, but the question strikes me as odd. It doesn't look any different than your immediate area on Google maps as far as farm acreage. It looks to be a farming area.
i just want to see peoples opinions

Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
i just want to see peoples opinions
As in people's perception of the area? Looking at the map, I'd label it a semi-rural exurb. I haven't ever heard much of it, if any at all, and have apparently drove by on my way to WV many times without noticing it.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Support public transportation in metro DC, otherwise that farmland will become townhouses and traffic congested soon.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Support public transportation in metro DC, otherwise that farmland will become townhouses and traffic congested soon.
I highly doubt it will stop the sprawl. Look at a projected growth map - mass transit is not going to stop that kind of mass influx. It won't be many more years before fullblown suburbia is knocking on this guy's door. He's at a virtual vortex of where the suburbs of Baltimore and DC will converge over the next 10-20 years. I suggest that any young person just starting off who wishes to live a rural life make plans to settle down somewhere besides Maryland because in 50 years, the state will be little more than one giant suburb.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
"Farmland" in and of itself isn't worth much to me. Big, open, rural pieces of land in areas where growth is restricted will skyrocket in price. Who wouldn't want to be 30-40 miles away from D.C. on a 100 acre palatial estate with no fear of having your neighbor's property subdivided?

Farmers who have run dairy or cattle farms for generations will be replaced by rich transplants who want to "hobby farm," or have some horses, or just a giganatic compound to call their own.

Keeping the open land is nice, but if you lose the natives who are attached to it, what have you really preserved?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
"Farmland" in and of itself isn't worth much to me. Big, open, rural pieces of land in areas where growth is restricted will skyrocket in price. Who wouldn't want to be 30-40 miles away from D.C. on a 100 acre palatial estate with no fear of having your neighbor's property subdivided?

Farmers who have run dairy or cattle farms for generations will be replaced by rich transplants who want to "hobby farm," or have some horses, or just a giganatic compound to call their own.

Keeping the open land is nice, but if you lose the natives who are attached to it, what have you really preserved?
I wish a state of Maryland would take on more European characteristics. They built well-defined urban areas, and than leaving the countryside pristine and given to farming. Particularly in countries like Spain.

The only city that does this well in the United States, is Portland Oregon. They leave the farmland alone, and the urban areas just have to built within their limits.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wish a state of Maryland would take on more European characteristics. They built well-defined urban areas, and than leaving the countryside pristine and given to farming. Particularly in countries like Spain.

The only city that does this well in the United States, is Portland Oregon. They leave the farmland alone, and the urban areas just have to built within their limits.
It is my understanding that most of the "farming" regions around the dense areas in Europe are heavily subsidized by the government or else they wouldn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: