Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 179,366 times

Advertisements

Just read a post called "What is MARYLAND known for? Characteristics of Marylanders?" It mostly says that the people are unfriendly, drive bad, quick to anger and have reverse discrimination? Is this true of Elkton MD people also? Please I need the truth before I move.

I had allmost decided to move to the Elkton area, in Cecil county, but now I am not sure. I AM HOPING that becouse this area is in the very end corner of the state (North East), that they will not have the same characteristics?

I have to ask, please tell me the characteristics of ELKTON people. Please be truthful, evn if it is bad, as I need to know before I comit to the area.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM

242 posts, read 533,774 times
i have lived in the area my whole life (mostly Chesapeake City, south of Elkton), but now in Elkton itself. What part of Elkton will you be moving? Some areas in Elkton are much nicer than others. For example, the Elk Neck area (closer to North East) is nicer than downtown Elkton and some of the neighborhoods right off of Rt 40. I have never had any problems living here (I live closer to the DE state line). If you want to know some specifics, just ask - I'll do my best to answer!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM

I think it was actually many posts I was reading last night. Either way, I was going to move to the town of Elkton.

My 70 year old mom will be moving in with us. She is a massive people person, and says hi to everyone, and is really, really nice. She will be upset if she moves to an area that is snobbish, elitist, unfriendly. Is it? Some other poster said people never say hi or nod to each other. That they will think you are a nut if you keep the door open to someone you do not know, that others do not do this. She is used to a friendly southern atmosphere-will she be ok in ELKTON?

My husband HATES It when people can not drive properly, can not merge into traffic, drive with aggression, tailgate. Is there is a big driving problem in Elkton? Do they tailgate or act aggressive while driving?

I NEVER discriminate against people, and I do not want to be discriminated against either. Is there reverse bigotry in Elkton.

These things have been said about people in Maryland on this site, but I just need to know if it is true about ELKTON people specifically..

Thanks much for any info!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 PM

There are many nice and friendly people in Elkton, and I can not remember any time that someone did not hold the door open for me! Most cashiers in the stores will make small talk with you also. I personally like it when others walk by and say hello and are friendly. I find that most people around Elkton are friendly, but of course theres always the few that are rude.

As for driving, the busiest roads around Elkton are Rt 40 which runs the entire span of the town, and 95 in Delaware. Tailgating isn't a problem around town. I am familiar with driving into & out of Wilmington for rush hour on 95 and while most people drive at a normal speed (about 65 or 70) there are the few that drive aggressively, tailgate, and go in and out of traffic, but I think you will get that anywhere you go. I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers driving in Elkton, though.

Maybe I am biased because I have always lived here, but like I've said before, I've never had any problems with anyone and enjoy living here.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Please don't base your early opinions on a place by comments you read on this forum. There are a lot of unhappy people on here.

Why don't you take a visit before moving? That is truly the best bet.

I like Elkton, and especially Elk Neck State Park. Very beautiful area.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM

39 posts, read 106,776 times
Default Elkton is super friendly

Elkton has many great things. One of them is that people are super friendly. We moved from NJ and the difference in friendliness is quite noticeable. I used to be shocked at all the people engaging me in conversation. I would look over my shoulder to make sure they were talking to me. Sure enough, they were talking to me! I have now been converted to this friendlier lifestyle. In addition, my wife has consistently remarked how men will run ahead of her to open the door for her.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I like Elkton, and especially Elk Neck State Park. Very beautiful area.
The State Park is actually in North East, but yes it is a beautiful area. It is at the very end of Rt 272. You can take a walk out to the Turkey Point Lighthouse, which is about a 1.5 mile roundtrip. Great view of the Chesapeake Bay. There are also some trails around the park which you can take your dogs.

hellotoday, I believe that you mentioned in another message that you do have dogs. There is also a park in Glasgow on Rt 40 in DE across from the Bear YMCA that has a 2.6 mile walking trail, and dogs are welcome.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
There is also a park in Glasgow on Rt 40 in DE across from the Bear YMCA that has a 2.6 mile walking trail, and dogs are welcome.
Been there too. Quite nice even if you don't have dogs!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Yes, its great..and since its so large its never too crowded! Can't wait until this weather stays nice so I can get back out there on a regular basis!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 PM

thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland