Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times

Advertisements

And yes, the draft is a crap shoot....which is exactly the reason you want as many dice to throw as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Pro-Bowl players sign with the Skins all the time. Shame is it is always when they are old, content, and looking for boatloads of money or malcontents. Snyder is always happy to oblige. Albert Haynesworth, Bruce Smith, Jason Taylor, Adam Archelta, London Fletcher (a good pick up), Brandon Lloyd, the list goes on and on.

Most of those players you named were either overpaid or over the hill. The only exception was London Fletcher. This team has had a reputation for a long time for being a place where you get paid. They aren't going to attract top level free agents who are still capable of being elite players. Did you see how quickly Peyton Manning turned them down?

Quote:
The problem is EXACTLY what Pcity said, the owner is under the illusion that the team is always just "a piece or two away" from contending, so they make dumb short term moves that keep compounding their endemic problems of

1. Not having enough draft picks to build a team nucleus
2. Signing players like a fantasy football team (aka looking at stats) rather than settling on a system and getting players that fit it.
3. A culture of losing being OK in the locker room and among the fans.
But the assumption that is being made, is that they made this move like they did in years past, thinking they are a player or two away. I don't see that. I see them trying to do their best to get a player they really want. I just don't understand Redskin fans. Do Redskin fans even want to win? You have an opportunity to get one of the best QB prospects of the draft and possibly of the past few drafts and you want your team to avoid doing it because you want to keep building? Isn't getting a great QB a part of building? You would rather get a mediocre QB than a possible elite one?

As far as this team having a nucleus, you just added to that by setting yourself up to get a possibly great QB. Isn't a QB part of the nucleus? Was having Grossman going to build a nucleus? You also a neglecting the fact that they can sign free agents. They just signed two defensive linemen last year that helped them. Are they not part of building a nucleus?

Since Shanahan has become coach/decision maker, who have they signed like a fantasy football player, besides Donovan McNabb (which actually wasn't bad because they made his contract incentive-laden)?

It seems as though losing has become part of the fan base. All I saw when this happen were fans saying this would never work. It's okay to disagree with this move and saying that they maybe gave up too much, but for fans to say that this won't work, why are you a fan? If you have no confidence in your team and it's ability to do well, then you might as well find a new team. I don't see that from the players from what I saw though. I saw players who played hard last year who lacked the talent to be successful. Fans need to be more patient.

I'm a Tennessee Titans fan. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time and I've seen some of the worse seasons. We've had 4-12 seasons and 3-13 season in the past decade, but every year I was still there believing my team was going to be successful even when they made bad moves in my opinion. What makes me a fan is the belief that I believe my team is going to be successful. The Redskin fans have completely lost this and they have a very jaded view of this team. It's as if they cannot do anything right.

Quote:
I will admit that the Shanahans WERE doing better managing their draft picks, until now. Now, they are three years back in the hole to get one rookie quaterback. I hope it works out for them......I really do.
First understand, that they are only losing one pick this year, next year and the year after. They can easily get picks back by trading players or trading back if necessary. Even with that said, they don't need have to build with just draft picks anymore. At some point you have to build your team with veterans as well. Perhaps they feel the time is now, I don't know, but they had some money to sign veterans which they are now (they just signed Pierre Garcon and possibly Josh Morgan). There are other avenues to build the team up.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Do you know what a high first round pick is worth in the NFL? More than most Pro-Bowlers. Here the Skins gave away THREE first round picks and a second round pick for a guy that hasn't played a single NFL game. That is a very steep price.....and the same kind of move they have made for years.

You and I don't seem to disagree on much here. The Skins will get their next "savior" at the expense of 4 high draft picks, they will try to build the nucleus they WON'T be able to build through the draft by siging free agents, which we both agree they do a horrible job of doing. It is amazing to me we had to back to 2010 to find the last "savior" free agent bust. I guess Danny Boy took 2011 off and is back to his old tricks.

Ultimately it comes down to RGIII. It is a quarterback's league, although the Giants showed that it takes more than just winging the ball around to win Super Bowls. If RGIII becomes a top flight quarterback, and the Skins can avoid the bone-head free agent moves and fix the endemic culture of losing, maybe things will finally turn around. I like RGIII, he was a joy to watch in college, barring injury I expect his skills and intellegence to translate to the NFL.

For the record I did suffer through nearly 20 years of mismanagement, jerk-off lazy players, a sleazy owner, and persistant losing before jumping ship. The end for me was when Sean Taylor was murdered. He was the last Skin I actually enjoyed watching play football, he had the "Eye of the Tiger." After that I found myself watching the Ravens more and more, while still pretending to be a Skins fan. After a while, I officially gave up on my loveless marriage to the Skins, and shacked up with my mistress, the Ravens.

So I am a Ravens fan now. I wish the Skins well, and I will watch them play with RGIII on the field.

Let the boos and hisses rain down upon me for being Judas. I feel the same way, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Do you know what a high first round pick is worth in the NFL? More than most Pro-Bowlers. Here the Skins gave away THREE first round picks and a second round pick for a guy that hasn't played a single NFL game. That is a very steep price.....and the same kind of move they have made for years.

You and I don't seem to disagree on much here. The Skins will get their next "savior" at the expense of 4 high draft picks, they will try to build the nucleus they WON'T be able to build through the draft by siging free agents, which we both agree they do a horrible job of doing. It is amazing to me we had to back to 2010 to find the last "savior" free agent bust. I guess Danny Boy took 2011 off and is back to his old tricks.

Ultimately it comes down to RGIII. It is a quarterback's league, although the Giants showed that it takes more than just winging the ball around to win Super Bowls. If RGIII becomes a top flight quarterback, and the Skins can avoid the bone-head free agent moves and fix the endemic culture of losing, maybe things will finally turn around. I like RGIII, he was a joy to watch in college, barring injury I expect his skills and intellegence to translate to the NFL.
They gave up only two first round picks. Redskins and Rams swapped their first round picks. Redskins select at #2 in which they will use to draft Griffin while the Rams select at #6. The Redskins still have seven additional draft picks available and 12 the next two seasons. So what if they don't have a high draft pick, the last three first round picks didn't get them anywhere without a QB.

Dan Snyder isn't in charge of football operations anymore, Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan is. They've made progress that's overlooked by people unaware of the change in the front office two years ago and disgruntle Redskins fans that don't understand the concept of rebuilding.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,884 times
I'm not a Redskins fan but I do follow the team because I live in Maryland. I don't think they gave up too much. They definitely took a risk, but a franchise QB is the biggest difference maker in sports. The Skins don't need RGIII to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, they just need him to be Tony Romo or Matt Ryan.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

"Rebuilding" is going on 21 years. Maybe it is progress that somebody is actually calling it that.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
So did the Giants when they got Eli Manning in 2004 (traded the 4th overall, 3rd rounder, and a 1st and 5th in 2005), or what about the Falcons when they got Julio Jones last year (26th overall, a 2nd, a 4th, and this year's 1st and 2nd). It's not unheard of to put a lot up for an unproven talent. It may not make sense, but if they want to get that player, they have to pay the price.

Quote:
I don't think this is Snyder. This seems like a Shanahan move to save his job in my opinion.

Quote:
We'll see

Quote:
For the record I did suffer through nearly 20 years of mismanagement, jerk-off lazy players, a sleazy owner, and persistant losing before jumping ship. The end for me was when Sean Taylor was murdered. He was the last Skin I actually enjoyed watching play football, he had the "Eye of the Tiger." After that I found myself watching the Ravens more and more, while still pretending to be a Skins fan. After a while, I officially gave up on my loveless marriage to the Skins, and shacked up with my mistress, the Ravens.

So I am a Ravens fan now. I wish the Skins well, and I will watch them play with RGIII on the field.

Let the boos and hisses rain down upon me for being Judas. I feel the same way, I just couldn't take it anymore.
lol. I understand how you feel. I was raised on the Redskins but at an early age I got tired of them myself. It really happened after they won their last Super Bowl. I eventually became a Titans fan. I'm pretty sure if you grew up in the area, your parents were probably like mine and tried to push them on you. I just got tired of it. I honestly can't see myself rooting for them, but I really do have a lot of respect for RGIII. I also do hope they do better because I think it is depressing listening to these fans year after year.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
"Rebuilding" is going on 21 years. Maybe it is progress that somebody is actually calling it that.

They've made progress that's overlooked by people unaware of the change in the front office two years ago and disgruntle Redskins fans that don't understand the concept of rebuilding.

Change you ask - Redskins shakeup: Bruce Allen is GM, Cerrato quits - NFL - ESPN

You're underestimating what the Redskins been doing the last two season since Allen took over.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

I can argue with a disgruntled Redskin fan who supports the ravens but I cant argue with a disgruntled Redskin fan who pretended to be one while forming an allegiance with the Ravens. Just disgusting

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I can argue with a disgruntled Redskin fan who supports the ravens but I cant argue with a disgruntled Redskin fan who pretended to be one while forming an allegiance with the Ravens. Just disgusting
It is like cheating on your wife. I should have gone to counseling when things got bad, to try and preserve the relationship, but the love was gone.

I didn't want to abandon my team, that is why I pretended, for the sake of my family and friends. I kept hoping they would improve and turn the corner....it never happened, still hasn't. I couldn't raise me kids in a loveless football environment.

As for change in the Redskin organization? *Yawn* been there before, the next savior walk in the door, once it translates into wins, it will mean something. You are what your record says you are......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: