Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In Brown I see another KKT ... but black instead of female.
There's no "there" there.

The endorsements he has gotten are all from the same old line and wannabe party hacks who
(for various reasons) have knuckled under to peecee pressure. But like KKT (and Hilary ftm)
however well set up he may be for the Dem nomination... that isn't the one that matters.
Yeah, but Ehrlich was a credible opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Craig-Harford
George-Anne Arundel
Vaeth-don't know
Lollar-St. Mary's or Charles, he's not sure nor am I
Which of these Republicans would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Ruppersberger is actually a good politician. Gets a lot of things for his district and was generally considered a good County Executive.

If I were a betting man my money, right now, would be on Brown for the win. Gansler is self destructing as we watch, Mizuer is becoming a non-issue and Ruppersberger might, or might not, get in the race. Even if he does he'll have a tough haul in Prince George's, Montgomery, Charles and Baltimore City which are solidly behind Brown. Brown is also racking up endorsements left, lefter and right while showing up to damn near anywhere there's a crowd of more than two people.
Well, I am glad you got to see his good side. I saw the "What free drinks? Make it a double," side. Even in an atmosphere where the perqs flowed like wine, well free beer, his demands stood out as excessive. Granted this was over 10 years ago now. Maybe serving in Congress has humbled him.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, I am glad you got to see his good side. I saw the "What free drinks? Make it a double," side. Even in an atmosphere where the perqs flowed like wine, well free beer, his demands stood out as excessive. Granted this was over 10 years ago now. Maybe serving in Congress has humbled him.
You know my history, as it were, and I want to tell you that I'm not the type of politician who goes somewhere and says "Hi, I'm_________, now give me a BJ". Unfortunately many elected officials are like that.

I didn't say Ruppersberger is likeable, just competent.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Yeah, but Ehrlich was a credible opponent.
vs KKT almost anyone would be a credible opponent.

Had the Dems put up nearly anyone else (let alone a real choice like Cardin) in 2001...
there's no way that Ehrlich would have even run. Congress was too comfortable.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:40 PM

kathleen KENNEDY townsend was the anointed one, everyone knew that when Glendening picked her. No one wanted to take her, and by extension the KENNEDY machine, on.

The Republicans then had only Ehrlich as a credible candidate. Today they don't even have that.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You know my history, as it were, and I want to tell you that I'm not the type of politician who goes somewhere and says "Hi, I'm_________, now give me a BJ". Unfortunately many elected officials are like that.

I would prefer both, but given a forced choice (which most elections are) I would choose the 2nd any day.

This does raise an interesting question, 10 year old personal opinions aside, would Dutch keep the state sliding so hard left? Or would be govern more from a center-left position? It will be interesting to see if he gets in the race. Depending on how things shake out locally, this may finally be the cycle to register as a "D" for primary season to try and keep O'Malley's crony out of office.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Oh, and I certainly didn't mean to paint all elected officials with the same brush. Rocky Gap was just a time to see some people's "ugly" as it was a annual mixer between politicians, lobbyists, and moneyed sponsors. Another one of Cas Taylor's ways of rewarding those who were loyal, or necessary, to the cause.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I would prefer both, but given a forced choice (which most elections are) I would choose the 2nd any day.

This does raise an interesting question, 10 year old personal opinions aside, would Dutch keep the state sliding so hard left? Or would be govern more from a center-left position? It will be interesting to see if he gets in the race. Depending on how things shake out locally, this may finally be the cycle to register as a "D" for primary season to try and keep O'Malley's crony out of office.
He's always had the reputation as a more centrist Democrat, not as conservative as former House whip and Secretary of Veteran's Affairs George Owings (another friend,) but much more than O'Malley or any other of the current Democratic candidates.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
kathleen KENNEDY townsend was the anointed one, everyone knew that when Glendening picked her.
No (other Democrat) wanted (could afford to outspend) to take her, and by extension the KENNEDY machine, on.

The Republicans then had only Ehrlich as a credible candidate.
I'm not saying that R's were lined up around the block... just that it didn't take much to beat KKT.
Since even Ehrlich could do it... it follows that a lot of others could have just as well.

Why? Because even with all the Kennedy money and all the old line political hacks "supporting" her
(read dipping their own beaks in the Kennedy trough)... she was a paper tiger.
There was no "there" there. Just like Brown today.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm not saying that R's were lined up around the block... just that it didn't take much to beat KKT.
Since even Ehrlich could do it... it follows that a lot of others could have just as well.

Why? Because even with all the Kennedy money and all the old line political hacks "supporting" her
(read dipping their own beaks in the Kennedy trough)... she was a paper tiger.
There was no "there" there. Just like Brown today.
One day they will erect a statute to her in this town! She was instrumental is making sure Hispanish speakers got a fair shake at job openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland