Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 PM

130 posts, read 254,542 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We're considering a move to Maryland (for a job in Baltimore) and we don't know much about the area. We're a two dad family, with two small children, looking for an LGBT-friendly area with good schools, within a reasonable commute to Baltimore. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRF View Post
Hi there. We're considering a move to Maryland (for a job in Baltimore) and we don't know much about the area. We're a two dad family, with two small children, looking for an LGBT-friendly area with good schools, within a reasonable commute to Baltimore. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it!
Ellicott City, Columbia or Catonsville. For more details, please search the Baltimore sub-forum.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM

Thanks- will do.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Yeah I really can't help you as I'm not gay but I was just talking to my wife and was wondering if I could ask you a question. It appears to us that this country's acceptance of LGBT lifestyles is much more accepting then even 10 years ago. We see gay marriage bills passed all over the country, we watch TV shows with gay couples and it's no big deal not unlike the black QBs in the NFL. All of this is great news to us but we are not in your shoes.

Are we on point?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
I don't think there is any town in particular say outside a few neighborhoods in Baltimore City that are LGBT friendly in particular, compared to municipalities say in California or Oregon, but I think you will find most residents more or less accepting of your life-style no matter where you reside. I sometimes think that straight-people are more apt to be snickered at in a gay neighborhood than vise-versa.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Another vote for Columbia or surrounding areas in Howard County. We looked hard at Catonsville and it has a lot to recommend it, but every parent I've met from there in the last couple of years has been telling me tales of overcrowded elementary schools so I'd be careful on schools there. Howard County is pretty family focused, but all the LGBT families at our school are just another family (albeit families that made my daughter an avid marriage equality advocate during the election last year, because she wants her friend's moms to get married).

Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Hey Dave:

I see what you're saying... there's definitely movement in the right direction in terms of LGBT rights but to say it's "no big deal" is still a little premature. You can still be fired in 29 states for being gay, even if you're not but your employer "thinks" that you are. Only 13 states recognize my marriage; most states ban any sort of relationship recognition entirely. (Think about when I had to go to the emergency room and while we were in a non-marriage state, the hospital wouldn't let my legally-married husband make medical decisions for me because the state told them they didn't have to). Many, many states don't allow us to adopt jointly. And those are the overt anti-gay laws. Until you've felt shamed in public by being with the person you love and your family, until you've been spit on and beaten up for simply walking out of a predominantly gay bar, until you were denied jobs (or think you have been) because of how you were born, I don't know that you can say that it's "no big deal."

I don't mean to be preachy and I know your question is coming from a good place. Just my way of saying that it's not quite as simple as it may seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I really can't help you as I'm not gay but I was just talking to my wife and was wondering if I could ask you a question. It appears to us that this country's acceptance of LGBT lifestyles is much more accepting then even 10 years ago. We see gay marriage bills passed all over the country, we watch TV shows with gay couples and it's no big deal not unlike the black QBs in the NFL. All of this is great news to us but we are not in your shoes.

Are we on point?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Another vote for Columbia or surrounding areas in Howard County. We looked hard at Catonsville and it has a lot to recommend it, but every parent I've met from there in the last couple of years has been telling me tales of overcrowded elementary schools so I'd be careful on schools there.
Since the OP did not mention a budget, I'd suggest Catonsville if they are priced out of Howard County. In addition, Catonsville is 15-20 minutes closer to downtown Baltimore.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRF View Post
Hey Dave:

I see what you're saying... there's definitely movement in the right direction in terms of LGBT rights but to say it's "no big deal" is still a little premature. You can still be fired in 29 states for being gay, even if you're not but your employer "thinks" that you are. Only 13 states recognize my marriage; most states ban any sort of relationship recognition entirely. (Think about when I had to go to the emergency room and while we were in a non-marriage state, the hospital wouldn't let my legally-married husband make medical decisions for me because the state told them they didn't have to). Many, many states don't allow us to adopt jointly. And those are the overt anti-gay laws. Until you've felt shamed in public by being with the person you love and your family, until you've been spit on and beaten up for simply walking out of a predominantly gay bar, until you were denied jobs (or think you have been) because of how you were born, I don't know that you can say that it's "no big deal."

I don't mean to be preachy and I know your question is coming from a good place. Just my way of saying that it's not quite as simple as it may seem.
Oh don't get me wrong, I never said you were there. I said seeing gay couples on TV was no big deal. I'm glad you mentioned the emergency room situation, this was one example I gave to a painfully conservative poster who had a pretty warped view of marriage. Thankfully he is no longer here.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM

11 posts, read 27,748 times
I have a friend who's son is gay, and they live in Columbia. She says they treat their son no differently, and his school mates are nice to him. Places to avoid are Bethesda, Severna Park, and Edgewater. I also hear Crofton (just moved there) and Gambrills are LGBT friendly too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland