Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Nope...next question
And you forgot your trademark bold everything you write. You are slipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:10 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
What's wrong with it staying what it is, a fairly small rural city?

Every place doesn't have to be gentrified, homogenized and have a Starbuck's every half block to go along with the New Wave cuisine restaurants which Yelpers like but no one else goes to.

Could it stand some job creation? Yes. The city government works about 27 hours a day trying to make that happen.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's wrong with it staying what it is, a fairly small rural city?

Every place doesn't have to be gentrified, homogenized and have a Starbuck's every half block to go along with the New Wave cuisine restaurants which Yelpers like but no one else goes to.

Could it stand some job creation? Yes. The city government works about 27 hours a day trying to make that happen.
Agreed.

That being said, it seems that cities are either growing or shrinking, improving or declining. The "stable city" seems to be an elusive concept in the minds of Americans right now. Either you are on the upswing, or on the decline, and if there is a middle. "Stability" probably gets lumped into the negative category since it means "no growth."

Old 10-29-2015, 06:05 AM

490 posts, read 924,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
And you forgot your trademark bold everything you write. You are slipping.
LOL Thanks your right!!! Thanks for getting me back on track

Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
cat, I would think soon.....it was supposed to open in August.

Primanti Bros is opening up over there as well.
Stonewall Tavern "Opening Soon"
Soon, huh? That's what was up over a couple months ago when we thought someone said that they were opened but found out that wasn't the case. Wonder what their idea of "soon" is? I guess so they don't have to be pinpointed to a specific date in case "something" falls through.

Had heard from another conversation at a pub/restaurant in that area, it takes quite a while for the MD board to issue licenses. Is it because Maryland is behind or just plain slllllloooowwww ? Last word dragged out for emphasis

Just curious. Looks like a really nice place to go though. Been looking forward to it for oh... over a year, maybe?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Stonewall Tavern "Opening Soon"
Soon, huh? That's what was up over a couple months ago when we thought someone said that they were opened but found out that wasn't the case. Wonder what their idea of "soon" is? I guess so they don't have to be pinpointed to a specific date in case "something" falls through.

Had heard from another conversation at a pub/restaurant in that area, it takes quite a while for the MD board to issue licenses. Is it because Maryland is behind or just plain slllllloooowwww ? Last word dragged out for emphasis

Just curious. Looks like a really nice place to go though. Been looking forward to it for oh... over a year, maybe?
Which "board" are you talking about?

Ninety nine times out of a hundred when it comes to restaurants it's the fault of the owner if they can't open when planned because of licenses/permits. The two most common reasons are Health Department or Fire Marshal issues. Those are both State agencies but are locally run. Both are extremely strict with their regulations and requirements.

The one time out of a hundred is a liquor license issue, which shouldn't keep a restaurant from opening while it works through the process (which isn't that onerous).

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,284 times
Washington County is notoriously slow and known for being a pain in the a$$ to get permits approved. I think they are trying to fix that in the last year or two. Don't know if that is why they are not opened yet.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:48 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times
With the right government, I'd say that Hagerstown does have potential It is located at the intersection of two major interstates, is a 20-minute drive to the nearest MARC station, is close enough where telecommuting could be attractive, has a nice outlet shopping mall that appeals to people as far away as I-95 along with a regular shopping mall, and has plenty of room to expand meaning that prices are still fairly affordable. With proper redevelopment, the downtown could turn into another Frederick, and when I visited last year, it certainly had the bones to do so. Where I live in Howard County is just an hour's drive on a good day. I sort of compare its potential to Southern California's Inland Empire, the Lehigh Valley, or parts of the San Joaquin Valley. It will never become a premier metro, but has potential to evolve perhaps someday into a mid-size city. However, it currently doesn't have the "draw" like other places do to attract the younger crowd seeking fun things to do, even if there are hiking trails, white river rafting, skiing, historic battlefields and more to do.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Stonewall Tavern opening end of Nov?

I don't recall where I heard of a possible opening end of November? I'm assuming it was meant this year, 2015 but ya never know, lol.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
With the right government, I'd say that Hagerstown does have potential It is located at the intersection of two major interstates, is a 20-minute drive to the nearest MARC station, is close enough where telecommuting could be attractive, has a nice outlet shopping mall that appeals to people as far away as I-95 along with a regular shopping mall, and has plenty of room to expand meaning that prices are still fairly affordable. With proper redevelopment, the downtown could turn into another Frederick, and when I visited last year, it certainly had the bones to do so. Where I live in Howard County is just an hour's drive on a good day. I sort of compare its potential to Southern California's Inland Empire, the Lehigh Valley, or parts of the San Joaquin Valley. It will never become a premier metro, but has potential to evolve perhaps someday into a mid-size city. However, it currently doesn't have the "draw" like other places do to attract the younger crowd seeking fun things to do, even if there are hiking trails, white river rafting, skiing, historic battlefields and more to do.
For anyone in the medical/dental field, that Robinwood/Meritus Health facility is huge!
Looks quite nice too - inside and out.

The mall and outlet center and the shopping stores surrounding there sure seems to attract lots of shoppers as well.

Looks like clearing out for something to take over lot across from Kohl's? Anyone know what that might be? I may have missed reading about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland