Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 AM

165 posts, read 232,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Actually, ocean pines is pretty surprising in the amount of permanent residents. Get caught behind a school bus in the morning or afternoon and it becomes clear that OP is no longer a retirement/second home community like it was 20 years ago. It has actually morphed into it's own year round town. It even has separate communities so whether your budget is 150,000 or 1,000,000 you can find a place.

As far as crack houses, heroin and pills? Ocean Pines probably has less of that then most other places. But the reality is is that there can be people like that anywhere. One thing for certain here is that that kind of crowd probably can't keep up with rent for very long so when their leases come up they move out and another group/family/couple takes there place. Kind of like the several families that rented across from me before. They had to move on.

I just can't figure why it is still part of Berlin. It has 2 fire stations, police station, a post office, a library and plenty of stores and restaurants and the HOA is pretty much like town taxes to Ocean Pines so I fail to see any benefit being part of Berlin. Or perhaps it's just old zoning as Berlin actually covers a very large area.
Quite a bit of that in this area or so it seems. Like Sean was saying about West OC and OC. Powellville has a Pittsville zip code. Not a big deal just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
And in case you think I wasn't kidding about random weirdos and bad drugs in OP, here ya go:

Largest seizure of heroin in recent history made in Ocean Pines MD | OceanCity.com
I was in the Food Lion in Ocean Pines yesterday and I overheard a person refer to the area as Ocean Whines, talking about the stupid rules the association has. I heard stuff over the years about the area and how controlling certain people are and heard from others there is no other place to live.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
I was in the Food Lion in Ocean Pines yesterday and I overheard a person refer to the area as Ocean Whines, talking about the stupid rules the association has. I heard stuff over the years about the area and how controlling certain people are and heard from others there is no other place to live.
It has an HOA. Some are going to automatically hate because of that and others are automatically going to love it. I'm indifferent, though I prefer no HOA I have not had any problem whatsoever. I get lazy with what grass I have at times as well as other upkeep as I get really busy once fishing season starts but I have a place in one of the wooded lots. I'm sure it would be different if I was on a gulf course or in one of the newer communities. One important thing I saw in the rules is that they stress it is an outdoor oriented community so boats and trailers on property have no issues, as it should be. Though they need to be registered. I cancelled a contract on new construction in another community in Berlin because the rules stated that no boats could be visible, they had to be completely inside the garage. Yea! Right! This is the eastern shore where boats are a way of life so I basically said screw them and got my deposit back. I don't even have a boat either!

Ocean Pines really is not a bad place. I didn't like renting here when younger because I wanted to be closer to the bars and marinas in West OC but I always thought of it as a nice place to own a place. So within my price range for a SFH it was Ocean Pines, Mystic harbor or Isle of Wight. OP had more places available and I wouldn't have to worry about flooding if I went away for a bit and a storm came. It is also an easy place to rent out if I get back into travelling or decide to move to FL so Ocean Pines won out.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
It has an HOA. Some are going to automatically hate because of that and others are automatically going to love it. I'm indifferent, though I prefer no HOA I have not had any problem whatsoever. I get lazy with what grass I have at times as well as other upkeep as I get really busy once fishing season starts but I have a place in one of the wooded lots. I'm sure it would be different if I was on a gulf course or in one of the newer communities. One important thing I saw in the rules is that they stress it is an outdoor oriented community so boats and trailers on property have no issues, as it should be. Though they need to be registered. I cancelled a contract on new construction in another community in Berlin because the rules stated that no boats could be visible, they had to be completely inside the garage. Yea! Right! This is the eastern shore where boats are a way of life so I basically said screw them and got my deposit back. I don't even have a boat either!

Ocean Pines really is not a bad place. I didn't like renting here when younger because I wanted to be closer to the bars and marinas in West OC but I always thought of it as a nice place to own a place. So within my price range for a SFH it was Ocean Pines, Mystic harbor or Isle of Wight. OP had more places available and I wouldn't have to worry about flooding if I went away for a bit and a storm came. It is also an easy place to rent out if I get back into travelling or decide to move to FL so Ocean Pines won out.
Boats have to be completely inside a garage? Wow. I wonder who came up with that?

That is great you have options, guess if you rent out, you have to be careful who rents your place. I have heard some horror stories about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland