Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,741 times

Advertisements

who builds these things? I'd get one but not here in the east coast. I think those container homes would be better off in the southwest. How much do these cost anyway? I think land in NM is cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 720 times
So there is no place in Maryland not far from the city were you can put a container home?

Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I will disagree to a degree. A home built from shipping containers is closer to a modular home than a mobile home. You would have to prove that it met all building standards but I don't think many places have legislated what materials a house may be made from. I would expect VERY close scrutiny by the permitting officials so the documentation would have to be in order but I believe it would be doable.

Now just buying a container, putting it on a block or gravel foundation, hooking it up to utilities, cutting in doors and windows and living in it? No I cannot see that meeting code for a habitable shelter in most places. But I have seen a fair number of 'Sea Containers' used as sheds, shops, etc in non incorporated areas..
This is actually what I was thinking. Pretty sure the OP would have to go before a the Board with plains and such but if it meets the requirements and he owns the property .

Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 AM

170 posts, read 188,195 times
Have you checked in mobile home communities? They exist throughout Maryland, and I'd imagine that some of them should not restrict you from putting down a 'container home,' which is effectively a mobile home.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
We just sold a parcel of land where we intended to build and retire (long story). Anyway, one thing we found in our two years of searching, if you want a nice property that is reasonably close in, it will most likely have a shared drive so you would probably have some sort of shared responsibility with maintenance. If you’re will to forgo living relatively close in, then you can probably find some nice pieces of land with their own private access. Sounds like a cool idea; if I was on my own, I’d probably do something similar.

Also something to note, this might be county specific. Here in Frederick County, we looked into living in a RV on the property while we had the house built. We were told we could not do that except under very specific conditions....had to do with whether the RV was connected to septic and untilities if I remember correctly. We were trying to build a different type of home. It was difficult to find anyone who wanted anything to do with a house unless it was conventional stick built.

I agree with some of the previous posts in that you need to look at the regulations in Maryland carefully before committing to a land purchase; there are a lot of possible snags. Be VERY aware of restrictions on any property zoned RC (Resource Conservation). Also note state insulation requirements, not sure how you’d comply with that in a container home. At least governor Hogan killed the BAT septic requirements (part of why we bailed on our project).

Last edited by LesLucid; 12-19-2018 at 08:52 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 PM

148 posts, read 242,538 times
I think you'll have better luck with a pole barn in Howard. Get a couple chicks and let them free range. Run electric and water for your chickens so they don't freeze or get to hot, build a loft in the pole barn. Shhhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland