Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM

182 posts, read 247,704 times

Advertisements

Hello, been pondering this for a few years. If you put everything into a mixer , which would mean access to doctor care, hospitalization, crowds, scenery, noise from planes etc ... lower but not necessarily the lowest property taxes, which would it be and why? I know out in western MD its great with scenery and modest priced homes, Lewes/Milton has low property taxes , and Berlin the same with less crowds IMO, which would come out on top to retire in your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Well, we just had a pretty long discussion about retiring in Garrett County...........and I can't seem to find the link to it. What gives?

At any rate, I can't speak for the other places, but Garrett County is a beautiful place to live, has lots of outdoor recreation, more indoor recreation than you might think because of the tourist areas, and is less than an hour from Morgantown and Ruby Memorial Hospital.

On the other hand, the county gets an average of 100 inches of snow each winter, which means you have to like winter weather(or be content to stay inside 5 months of the year.) The areas around the Lake are popular with tourists and transplants. It is a bit harder to integrate into the more insular communities, but not impossible by any means.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Berlin is steadily growing in the medical field as well as Salisbury, about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour away. I guess with the fairly mild climate, by Mid Atlantic standards, this area has been attracting a lot of retirees so with them come the medical fields, hospitals, Dr's offices, etc that go with it.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, we just had a pretty long discussion about retiring in Garrett County...........and I can't seem to find the link to it. What gives?

At any rate, I can't speak for the other places, but Garrett County is a beautiful place to live, has lots of outdoor recreation, more indoor recreation than you might think because of the tourist areas, and is less than an hour from Morgantown and Ruby Memorial Hospital.

On the other hand, the county gets an average of 100 inches of snow each winter, which means you have to like winter weather(or be content to stay inside 5 months of the year.) The areas around the Lake are popular with tourists and transplants. It is a bit harder to integrate into the more insular communities, but not impossible by any means.

Yeah what happened to that thread? We had a lot of input for a poster considered Deep Creek or Berlin for retirement, it was just a week or two ago.

To summarize they are two totally different places. Deep Creek is beautiful but really cold with long winters. Berlin on the other hand rarely gets snow and it is also a really nice area but for totally different reasons.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Hello, been pondering this for a few years. If you put everything into a mixer , which would mean access to doctor care, hospitalization, crowds, scenery, noise from planes etc ... lower but not necessarily the lowest property taxes, which would it be and why? I know out in western MD its great with scenery and modest priced homes, Lewes/Milton has low property taxes , and Berlin the same with less crowds IMO, which would come out on top to retire in your opinion.
I would find Western MD prohibitive because of the cold weather and snow. I would vote for Berlin, because I hate crowds. But, it is your choice, not mine.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:35 PM

182 posts, read 247,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah what happened to that thread? We had a lot of input for a poster considered Deep Creek or Berlin for retirement, it was just a week or two ago.

To summarize they are two totally different places. Deep Creek is beautiful but really cold with long winters. Berlin on the other hand rarely gets snow and it is also a really nice area but for totally different reasons.
I believe the Left Wingers (PC police) complained and had something done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: