Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM

508 posts, read 527,012 times

Advertisements

Rental Lease termination ?
=================

I am asking this for Maryland lease.

I stayed in apartment for awhile. My lease renewal is coming up and I am thinking of buying a home. I am not sure, how my plan will turn out based on raising interest, lack of home to see, & expectation of recession.

My property manager says, If I terminate the annual lease before its term, I need to pay 2 months rent and give 30 days notice or go into Month to month by paying $50.00/month extra. Still need 1 month notice before moving. She claims as per fair housing law, I cannot claim/expect and advantage/leverage as a long term renter with this community.

How do I handle this situation ?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 03:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
My property manager says, If I terminate the annual lease before its term....
You're still obligated for the full years rent-- in one manner or another.

The SIMPLEST and most straightforward manner (for them especially)...
is to pay a fixed known penalty -- in this instance 2 months rent.

Quote:
Plan your departure well.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,686,801 times
Quote:
=================

I stayed in apartment for awhile. My lease renewal is coming up and I am thinking of buying a home. I am not sure, how my plan will turn out based on raising interest, lack of home to see, & expectation of recession.

My property manager says, If I terminate the annual lease before its term, I need to pay 2 months rent and give 30 days notice or go into Month to month by paying $50.00/month extra. Still need 1 month notice before moving. She claims as per fair housing law, I cannot claim/expect and advantage/leverage as a long term renter with this community.

Thanks for sharing.
You pay the extra $50/month for month-to-month, assuming the rent is higher than $750 and you're actually serious about purchasing. I'm shocked the month-to-month premium is that low - consider yourself lucky.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
=================

Thanks for sharing.
Legally, in all states you are required to pay the Full Rent for the Entire lease term, although landlords are required to make a good faith effort to rent out your place if you terminate the lease early. Once they find a new tenant, you are no longer responsible for rent payments. So your landlord is giving you an out. Legally she could require full monthly payments for the full lease term when you terminate your lease, although she would be required to actively find a new tenant (at which point you'd be off the hook for the monthly rent payments).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland