Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I can't think of anything in north Baltimore County that resembles PA. It's very clear when you have left Maryland Baltimore County and are in PA's York County. And I am not just disagreeing, it's obvious.

Actually Southern York county looks more like lower Baltimore County than Northern Baltimore County does. When people move that far out they go ahead and move the extra 5 miles so they get (what they believe are) lower PA taxes So there is a belt of farm and estate land in upper Baltimore county than as soon as you cross the state line housing subdivisions. Look around New Freedom, Shrewsbury, and Stewartstown. There is more building there than anywhere else above Hunt Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So your take is if it looks rural it's part of the southern part of the state? That is what the discussion was and southern AA is not part of the southern part of the state.
You must live in southern AA Co and want it to be sophisticated in the worst way. Let me guess. You call it Londontowne and not Woodland Beach.....

Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You must live in southern AA Co and want it to be sophisticated in the worst way. Let me guess. You call it Londontowne and not Woodland Beach.....
NO, people here know me,maybe don't like me but know me and you're wrong.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Actually Southern York county looks more like lower Baltimore County than Northern Baltimore County does. When people move that far out they go ahead and move the extra 5 miles so they get (what they believe are) lower PA taxes So there is a belt of farm and estate land in upper Baltimore county than as soon as you cross the state line housing subdivisions. Look around New Freedom, Shrewsbury, and Stewartstown. There is more building there than anywhere else above Hunt Valley.
I have only lived just below Hunt Valley Hunt Valley Is In Cockeysville for four decades. I have drove up 83, York Road, Quaker Bottom Road, Falls Road a zillion times. Nothing resembles York County PA. Large housing developments are sprouting up across the line but otherwise that place is a mess. I can only think you mean Dundalk, and Essex for some kind of comparison. Still not the same.
People thought the grass was greener when they started moving up there 25 years ago. One thing, housing up there can be a little cheaper, but otherwise no thanks.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I have only lived just below Hunt Valley Hunt Valley Is In Cockeysville for four decades. I have drove up 83, York Road, Quaker Bottom Road, Falls Road a zillion times. Nothing resembles York County PA. Large housing developments are sprouting up across the line but otherwise that place is a mess. I can only think you mean Dundalk, and Essex for some kind of comparison. Still not the same.
People thought the grass was greener when they started moving up there 25 years ago. One thing, housing up there can be a little cheaper, but otherwise no thanks.

I pretty much agree with you. I was looking at google earth and the first area I saw any 'developments below the PA line was just below Hunt Valley. I remember when Bonnie Blink was still the undeveloped Masonic Home. I grew up in Carroll County and the farms from Hanover pike (pretty much the Carroll / Balto county line) over past Hereford didn't look much different from the ones west of there. It was only when you moved south ofHunt Valley that you had any development and it didn't really pick up til you hit the Fairgrounds at Timonium.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I pretty much agree with you. I was looking at google earth and the first area I saw any 'developments below the PA line was just below Hunt Valley. I remember when Bonnie Blink was still the undeveloped Masonic Home. I grew up in Carroll County and the farms from Hanover pike (pretty much the Carroll / Balto county line) over past Hereford didn't look much different from the ones west of there. It was only when you moved south ofHunt Valley that you had any development and it didn't really pick up til you hit the Fairgrounds at Timonium.
Most of the development started in 71' north of Padonia Road. Between Warren Road and Padonia was a large farm, and an estate where they put all the crappy apartments everybody in the area hates.
Texas has been pretty much obliterated. (You can look up the history of Texas Maryland)
There was a commemoration at the tiny Nisbet Cemetery this past weekend. They had bagpipes playing and kilts on, Nisbet was Scottish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Nisbet_(judge)
Crossing over the line from Maryland to PA it's quite obvious you are in a different state. Especially on 83.
Funny, when you ride the NCR you cross the line a large part of the trail is paved, where it's crush a run on the Maryland side. To funny.

(To much development, and nothing to encourage different modes of transportation. Every 4th car is some forty thousand dollar plus euro mobile.)

Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Shrewsbury is largely a commuter town. Most people moved there back when you could get a really big house for less than 300k.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Shrewsbury is largely a commuter town. Most people moved there back when you could get a really big house for less than 300k.
Go back further and lower the price by half.
Of course the problem with this post is what's a really big house. 10,000 SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland