Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:37 PM

997 posts, read 710,182 times

Advertisements

Retire in Maryland?

Pro
Maryland does not tax social security income
Close access to 3 airports
Access to amenities of Washington DC

Con
Maryland taxes retirement distributions (like Traditional IRA) and pension income at 5.75%
High local taxes
High property taxes

What else can you think of, trying to justify retirement in place versus moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM

45,362 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Retire in Maryland?

Pro
Maryland does not tax social security income
Close access to 3 airports
Access to amenities of Washington DC

Con
Maryland taxes retirement distributions (like Traditional IRA) and pension income at 5.75%
High local taxes
High property taxes

What else can you think of, trying to justify retirement in place versus moving.
The reason property taxes seem high is because your house is expensive. Having said that, PA is noted to be more retiree friendly than MD but certain areas of it can make your MD property taxes look like chump change.

Your income tax number did not take into account the County piggyback income tax, typically 2.8% on top of the 5.75%.

Unless you fly a lot access to 3 airports is nonessential. What amenities in DC?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
The PA school tax is no joke!

Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Wait, what? Is this true generally or are you just in the top income bracket ($250K individual; $300K+ jointly), i.e. it's treated as ordinary income?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 PM

45,362 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Wait, what? Is this true generally or are you just in the top income bracket ($250K individual; $300K+ jointly), i.e. it's treated as ordinary income?
Pension is ordinary income, taxed at whatever rate is appropriate for the amount. As you know the MD personal income tax is progressive and increases as income does. Then the County piggyback income tax is on top of that, most Counties are around 50% of the state percentage. So I'm around the 8% combined tax rate on my pension. I have just under 28% withheld for federal and state income tax. I still had to pay last year on my federal return due to my pension income triggering income tax payments on my Social Security.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 AM

439 posts, read 425,374 times
Very true about property taxes. It depends on where you live in MD. We have been on the cusp of moving but you have to weigh options. For us, having airport options, shopping, restaurants and especially health care is important. We wish MD offered a similar deduction for private IRA and pension withdrawals. Most states do.

We found the beach area of Delaware is cost effective with taxes but is associated with other fees and lacks an airport and choice of medical options. However, they are constantly building and not really taking care of the infrastructure in the area.
Virginia offers lower property taxes but again taxes food and has a personal property tax.

Maryland really shows no effort to retain their retirees (which is a shame) but in the end I guess you have to decide where you will be the happiest. They also have an Estate and Death tax.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Very true about property taxes. It depends on where you live in MD. We have been on the cusp of moving but you have to weigh options. For us, having airport options, shopping, restaurants and especially health care is important. We wish MD offered a similar deduction for private IRA and pension withdrawals. Most states do.

We found the beach area of Delaware is cost effective with taxes but is associated with other fees and lacks an airport and choice of medical options. However, they are constantly building and not really taking care of the infrastructure in the area.
Virginia offers lower property taxes but again taxes food and has a personal property tax.

Maryland really shows no effort to retain their retirees (which is a shame) but in the end I guess you have to decide were you will be the happiest. They also have an Estate and Death tax.
Big, you wouldn't want to be to remote, and in bumpkin land where you wouldn't get potentially high quality care.

I posted this in another thread but the rates of men having their prostate removed do to prostate cancer as opposed to being treated were much higher in more rural states that lacked the quality care that you would get here.

(Anybody can screw anything up anywhere so those comments need not be added. I could type another paragraph about that and a well known local hospital)

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM

123 posts, read 144,291 times
Some extra info I didn't see so far:

1. The Maryland Comptroller website says there is a maximum pension exclusion of $29,900 for people over age 65. A married couple may each be eligible for the exclusion. 401k distributions qualify.

2. The amount exempt from Maryland estate tax will increase to $5 million in 2019. There is an inheritance tax of 10%, but close relatives (spouse, children, siblings) are exempt.

I am not a tax professional - this is all information I have read online.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 AM

439 posts, read 425,374 times
Tarheel, I'm not the one to properly explain this exemption because it's pretty involved.

Before we retired we thought it was a clear cut exemption as in other states. For us, the issue is the fact that IRA withdrawals and private pensions are excluded. The $29,900 is also confusing (at least for us). We left it up to our CPA but it has something to do with SS benefits. It resulted in a very small deduction for us.

Where you live in retirement is such a personal decision. What's important to one person might not be to another. It has been very interesting to us to see how different states handle different retirement and tax issues.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 PM

997 posts, read 710,182 times
Montgomery County, Townhome worth 400K, 12% federal tax bracket
At one time I was in the highest tax bracket.

Amenties of DC?--Its a major destination location with museums, concerts, events, etc. Lots for active retirees to choose from.
I understood 5.75% is the state income tax rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland