Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2006, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,683 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the Baltimore area with a job that would be based in Linthicum, MD. What are the best areas to live in a single family house that wouldn't be more than a 30-45 minute commute? Safe areas only please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 07:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,811,919 times
Default Why not look around Linthicum

My suggestion for you is to look around Linthicum. North Linthicum (that's the name of the place) is close to light-rail, MARC and BWI Airport but does not have airplane noise. Prices have skyrocketed but may be coming down some.
The Linthicum market does not reflect the rest of real estate market. Instead, demand is fueled by the National Security Agency and Northrop Grumman. If those are expanding, demand goes up; if they are letting people go, demand goes down.
Another possibility if Halethorpe. Some noise from the nearby Amtrak rail, but the place is nice and convenient.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 AM

26,222 posts, read 49,072,443 times
A 30-45 minute commute to/from Linthicum gives a lot of leeway.

1. Avoid being IN the city of Baltimore, just too awful right now with crime, and other issues.

2. If schools matter, look at Howard County....Elkridge, Ellicott City, Columbia and if Hanover is in HowCo, that too.

3. Otherwise, look in realtor.com for nearby zip codes like 21227, but avoid Lansdowne (lived there), Riverview and Baltimore Highlands, as these are rougher areas. Arbutus is fine, as is most of Halethorpe. In zip 21228 is Catonsville, decent stuff there. I've posted a ton of stuff on these areas and just don't want to re-key it all again, thus I suggest you use the search function.

4. Use the Search this Forum tool with any keyword shown in red to see all the data that's already here.

5. There are some great eateries in N Linthicum, along Hammonds Ferry Rd just before you get to the Baltimore County line (Patapsco River). My favorite is Snyder's, for the crabcakes, but a lot of people swear by those at G&M. For Italian, there is the Olive Grove (not to be confused with the chain called Olive Garden). If Whitey's Supermarket is still there, he sells the best crabmeat (Jumbo Lump) for making crabcakes, you gotta get some and learn how.

6. I've focused on area north of Linthicum. You can go the other direction but I'll have to let others advise. From memory, Glen Burnie used to be a rougher area, but I think Severna Park and Benfield are nice. Hopefully, PKOONS will have plenty of info on areas south of Linthicum as a lot has changed over the years. Depending on your income level and housing budget, it may be possible to live on/near one of the rivers down that way (Severn, Magothy, South).

s/Mike from back east
(I lived in/around 21227 for 20+ years and visited it weekly for another 30.)

Old 12-23-2006, 06:02 PM

83 posts, read 476,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azforme View Post
I am considering a move to the Baltimore area with a job that would be based in Linthicum, MD. What are the best areas to live in a single family house that wouldn't be more than a 30-45 minute commute? Safe areas only please.

I grew up in Linthicum. I was back there about six months ago, and nothing had changed, compared to the sixties (or fifities). It is not a bad place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland