Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

I was not even aware of Chesapeake City, great suggestion. We have a friend in Rock Hall, what a great place to have a friend live. But it's 2+ hours from Mt Airy so there's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:57 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Gettysburg - probably the #1 Civil-War destination in the U.S. - Museums and battlefield tours . Not sure of the situation right now, but normally the town is full of costumed re-enactor enthusiasts. Emmitsburg - outdoor shrine and memorial church to Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.
Did they move Gettysburg to Maryland? I thought it was in Pennsylvania with most of the other history of significance. Just because you can drive there from Maryland, doesn't mean it is IN Maryland.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:08 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Did they move Gettysburg to Maryland? I thought it was in Pennsylvania with most of the other history of significance. Just because you can drive there from Maryland, doesn't mean it is IN Maryland.
Maryland moved to Gettysburg (and its environs). See what I said earlier about Carlisle.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,967,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maryland moved to Gettysburg (and its environs). See what I said earlier about Carlisle.
Yeah, a lot of them thought the grass was greener on the other side until PA started to tax them.......and school tax (Another word for high property taxes.)

Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,967,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There's quite a bit of Maryland history. Some of it happened in your back yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRYZOuXHrA

Old 06-17-2020, 08:44 PM

352 posts, read 225,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was not even aware of Chesapeake City, great suggestion. We have a friend in Rock Hall, what a great place to have a friend live. But it's 2+ hours from Mt Airy so there's that.
My wife and I stumbled upon Chesapeake City when we spent a weekend in Rock Hall and Chestertown. On the way back to Bmore, we spent the afternoon in this cool little town and said we'd be back. We now head there regularly.

There are a few B&Bs as well as AirBnBs in the area. Unfortunately, our favorite little diner shut down recently, but there is a great coffee shop in town with breakfast. We love the "Hole in the Wall" bar.

If you go there and walk on the very high bridge (there is a narrow sidewalk), stay close to the railing...it can be a bit scary at times with semis driving by doing 65 MPH while looking over the railing at a 150 ft drop.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:21 AM

This has turned into a fun thread. LOL at that Ravens play. Not a fan but it was great, the worst play a safety ever made in a big game. Guy used to be a Redskin so no surprise.

Gettysburg was a place I had researched as a retirement destination but yeah I learned about the school tax and others and that was that.

Thanks again for the info on Chesapeake City. As we do visit Rock Hall it could be a stop but that's not normally our route home, we go 50.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:11 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
This has turned into a fun thread. LOL at that Ravens play. Not a fan but it was great, the worst play a safety ever made in a big game. Guy used to be a Redskin so no surprise.

Gettysburg was a place I had researched as a retirement destination but yeah I learned about the school tax and others and that was that.

Thanks again for the info on Chesapeake City. As we do visit Rock Hall it could be a stop but that's not normally our route home, we go 50.
You nailed it. Dude only needed to concede a catch if necessary and make a tackle to win the game. What happens is interesting, he completely underestimates the power of Flacco's arm. He goes where that rainbow should come down thinking he has a play on the ball, and yet in that thin air it keeps sailing right to Jones.

What a throw, what an ackward catch, what horrible safety play, what a game!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You nailed it. Dude only needed to concede a catch if necessary and make a tackle to win the game. What happens is interesting, he completely underestimates the power of Flacco's arm. He goes where that rainbow should come down thinking he has a play on the ball, and yet in that thin air it keeps sailing right to Jones.

What a throw, what an ackward catch, what horrible safety play, what a game!
He had time to get there but misplayed the ball like a Little League right fielder. Good thing it was a home game, can't imagine getting on a plane with everyone you just let down.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:00 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
He had time to get there but misplayed the ball like a Little League right fielder. Good thing it was a home game, can't imagine getting on a plane with everyone you just let down.
The link isn't working, but the best angle is the one from behind the play, where you can see the safety eyeing up the ball to make a play, and watch the pass come in way too "high and hot." He underestimated Flacco's arm strength (or perhaps better said how much velocity the ball still had that far downfield and after that much arc) and that is why he misplayed the ball.

The real mistake IMO was not understanding that a catch and tackle wins the game, a PI flag still likely wins you the game. The only way it goes to OT is if he goes for the INT and whiffs, which was the decision he made in that moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland