Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wow we certainly have different tastes. I'm from Montgomery County and see Gaithersburg and Germantown as nothing more than suburban sprawl with little character or appeal what so ever to me. I love the upper Potomac and spent a lot of time in places like Brunswick. Not a fan, it along with most towns along the river are dumpy IMO until you get to Harpers Ferry which of course is a jewel. Hagerstown has a few nice spots but it's kind of run down as well, much prefer Frederick as you said.

To answer your question FSK Mall remains closed, not sure if it's the state or county doing this.

I had completely forgotten about Ellicott City Main Street, another of my favorite places. It's no more than an afternoon but it's very cool. Well except when it floods. Opening poster: Google Ellicott City Floods to learn what I'm talking about.
I like Harper's Ferry too but I thought OP was only interested in knowing Maryland, not WV. It's been a very long time for the Gaithersbuurg/Germantown areas. Since early 1980's. You hated them way back then too?
I guess maybe my happier memories - good neighbors, the little cafe that was next to JCPenney's at the mall, our joking about then Great Seneca Hwy (leading into a field), easy bus connects to metro, a super nice hair stylist that used to work at the mall, etc. The 340 commuter route could get a little rough at times but there was a kind person or two that if you broke down, were willing to offer assistance.

Well, we kinda liked Brunswick for their Smoketown Brewery .

Thank you for info on FSK Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:37 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I hope you return and give us your feedback. What part of the country did you come from?

Old 06-17-2020, 07:04 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wow we certainly have different tastes. I'm from Montgomery County and see Gaithersburg and Germantown as nothing more than suburban sprawl with little character or appeal what so ever to me. I love the upper Potomac and spent a lot of time in places like Brunswick. Not a fan, it along with most towns along the river are dumpy IMO until you get to Harpers Ferry which of course is a jewel. Hagerstown has a few nice spots but it's kind of run down as well, much prefer Frederick as you said.

To answer your question FSK Mall remains closed, not sure if it's the state or county doing this.

I had completely forgotten about Ellicott City Main Street, another of my favorite places. It's no more than an afternoon but it's very cool. Well except when it floods. Opening poster: Google Ellicott City Floods to learn what I'm talking about.

Dave - they said 'back in the 80s when they liked Germantown and Gaithersburg. That was about the tail end of when they still had some character (The Cider Barrel was stil alive) before they were completely swallowed by sprawl.

About FSK Mall. Our County Executive did not open Frederick County as fast as the others. That was especially touchy in your neck of the woods because Carroll was open. I think it is probably open now

Old 06-17-2020, 01:22 PM

351 posts, read 224,820 times
Chesapeake City is such a gem that I feel I shouldn't tell people so it stays that way. It is in Cecil County on the C&D Canal. You can watch massive barges/container ships come through town, which is impressive in this tiny town with a massive bridge. Lots of history with the bridge and canal.

https://www.visitmaryland.org/places...hesapeake-city
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ches...City,_Maryland
https://www.chesapeakecity-md.gov/

Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
Are there any quaint small towns on the MD portion of the Appalachian Trail?

Old 06-17-2020, 02:22 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,046,586 times
I like Chestertown and nearby Rock Hall.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:49 PM

242 posts, read 533,878 times
I also came here to recommend Chesapeake City. It is probably about 2 hours from Mt Airy I would say without looking at a map. I love it because I grew up here It is a small town but comes with a lot of history. The original C&D canal was dug by hand.

There is an app you can download to your phone which will show you the ships that pass by - where they are coming from, where they are going, the ship stats (length, etc.) and what they're carrying. It is pretty neat!

Old 06-17-2020, 05:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times
I have an affinity for small towns -

Oxford
Union Bridge
New Windsor
Uniontown
Boonsboro
Solomons Island
Piney Point / St. George Island
Chestertown
Crisfield
St. Mary's City

Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Carlisle, PA. So many Marylanders have moved there, and brought the Maryland stupid with them, that it's just like being here.

Chestertown is Nice , a possible retirement destination for the Mrs and I.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:32 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Dave - they said 'back in the 80s when they liked Germantown and Gaithersburg. That was about the tail end of when they still had some character (The Cider Barrel was stil alive) before they were completely swallowed by sprawl.

About FSK Mall. Our County Executive did not open Frederick County as fast as the others. That was especially touchy in your neck of the woods because Carroll was open. I think it is probably open now
Good pull on the Cider Barrel, I believe the old red, white, and blue barrel is still there. I remember a mobile home park right behind it.

I'm just saying G-burg and Germantown have always been burbs with little character, I can't ever seeing them as a destination. It may have been different in the 80's, I wouldn't know because that was before the 270 widening and it was gridlock from 3:00 on so I rarely visited.

I was just by FSK today, still closed. Probably a good thing as we see what is happening in AZ, FL etc but that's a topic for another board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland