Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 03:20 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
IIRC, the way government budget/accounting works, the money you are given at the start of the fiscal year has to be spent for its intended purpose by the end of the fiscal year. If not, the money must be returned to the Treasury. By law, it cannot be kept and spent the following fiscal year. You can, however, accept delivery of goods/services and make payment the following fiscal year.

This failure to spend affects future appropriations, because unspent funds at fiscal year end indicates you’ve overestimated your budget. Your credibility is questioned, and, as a result, you may get less appropriation in succeeding fiscal years. Obviously, this is a serious faux pas.

To avoid this error, the purpose for which the money was originally sought is changed as the fiscal year end approaches. In some cases, you’ll mask the change by spending the money on goods/services in the same expense category. In the end, the money may be spent on things not required just to say that you’ve spent the money. This ensures that all money allocated to you is spent.

This is serious business. Heads role if there's unspent money at the end of the fiscal year.
That depends. You can "keep" the money after a budget adjustment law is adopted. You're correct that any excess doesn't necessarily carry over for the operations end.

The State Pension Fund invests the excess
https://sra.maryland.gov/investments-financials
Here is for the Highway Trust Fund
https://www.mdot.maryland.gov/tso/Pa...aspx?PageId=85
Local governments, Counties and Municipalities, invest in the Local Government Investment Pool
https://treasurer.state.md.us/treasu...ment-pool.aspx
The Flush Tax has the same setup. When it was set up the legislation specifically stated that the funding couldn't be redirected.

The Highway fund is set up to account for future expenditures after bond payments this year are made and and excess goes into reserves for that future. Local government enterprise funds like capital charges for water and sewer are the same. The funding and expenses for those work differently than from the general fund budget.

Things like roads and sewer plant upgrades are designed to be bonded and not paid for entirely out of current revenue.

What you described is true for federal expenditures, state and local works a little bit differently, as does Social Security and the federal Highway fund.

That was the original issue with the gambling money, it went directly to the General Fund and not a set side, so in year two when the various Counties started to ask for appropriations from it it was discovered that it had all been spent last year. Hence the set aside/lockbox law adopted a couple years ago that puts it into a separate account that carries over from year to year.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-02-2020 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 07:33 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I voted no. Gambling, lottery.....just another word for taxes.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:39 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I voted no. Gambling, lottery.....just another word for taxes.
They are choices. You do not have to gamble. I don't.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
They are choices. You do not have to gamble. I don't.
That is a point. While gambling, the lottery and slots, have been called a "tax on the poor" the reality is that playing either is a choice.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In all honesty it's not just Democrats but many Republicans too. Ehrlich pushed for slots his entire term and neither House would consider it because both then Speaker of the House Mike Busch and then Senate President Thomas V. "Mike" Miller had moral qualms about gambling. Those qualms abated when O'Malley was elected and slots were passed.
The moral qualms were more about Erhlich getting a WIN in his column.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The moral qualms were more about Erhlich getting a WIN in his column.
Yeah. I meant to put moral qualms in quotations when I wrote it (I usually have in the past) but forgot.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:46 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That depends. You can "keep" the money after a budget adjustment law is adopted. You're correct that any excess doesn't necessarily carry over for the operations end.

The State Pension Fund invests the excess
https://sra.maryland.gov/investments-financials
Here is for the Highway Trust Fund
https://www.mdot.maryland.gov/tso/Pa...aspx?PageId=85
Local governments, Counties and Municipalities, invest in the Local Government Investment Pool
https://treasurer.state.md.us/treasu...ment-pool.aspx
The Flush Tax has the same setup. When it was set up the legislation specifically stated that the funding couldn't be redirected.

The Highway fund is set up to account for future expenditures after bond payments this year are made and and excess goes into reserves for that future. Local government enterprise funds like capital charges for water and sewer are the same. The funding and expenses for those work differently than from the general fund budget.

Things like roads and sewer plant upgrades are designed to be bonded and not paid for entirely out of current revenue.

What you described is true for federal expenditures, state and local works a little bit differently, as does Social Security and the federal Highway fund.

That was the original issue with the gambling money, it went directly to the General Fund and not a set side, so in year two when the various Counties started to ask for appropriations from it it was discovered that it had all been spent last year. Hence the set aside/lockbox law adopted a couple years ago that puts it into a separate account that carries over from year to year.
Yes, I was describing how spending works at the federal level. I worked in a federal Budget Office right out of college. It was the worst desk job I've ever had. But I got to meet a lot of good people across the country.

Government infrastructure projects are bonded and generally secured by the full faith and credit of the government issuing the bonds. U.S. municipal issuance is down for the year, most likely due to Covid-19. If the pandemic continues into next summer, I imagine the lockbox will be picked by the legislature.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Yes, I was describing how spending works at the federal level. I worked in a federal Budget Office right out of college. It was the worst desk job I've ever had. But I got to meet a lot of good people across the country.

Government infrastructure projects are bonded and generally secured by the full faith and credit of the government issuing the bonds. U.S. municipal issuance is down for the year, most likely due to Covid-19. If the pandemic continues into next summer, I imagine the lockbox will be picked by the legislature.
Yep, every bonding document I ever read had that "full faith and credit" phrase plus, and I don't know if this extends past State/County/Municipal bonds, an ad valorem addition.

That really freaked people out when the then Treasurer complained about it (she was born in 1911 or so and had been in office since 1942). Being the polite guy I am I just told people that we wouldn't have to pay the bonds out of property tax revenue if they would just pay their water and sewer bills. We had people in 1988 who had never, not once ever, paid a sewer bill since the system went on line in 1958. Since we didn't have a water system yet we couldn't shut them off for non-payment. I discovered a way (actually I just asked the Town Attorney) to make them pay their bills going forward-put the house up for Tax Sale. That got their attention when we did it. We had something like $1M in past due sewer bills for a system that cost $750K to build (in 1958) and we were making up the shortfall from general revenue.

Some of the people regretted electing a 34 year old prick to office when that happened.

Maybe. Since I left office I haven't really paid attention to it. Calvert County just issued $40M in bonding for various projects, one is a 911/Emergency Operations Center upgrade plus some school money as well as other projects.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Bottom line is the money has to come from somewhere. Elves don't sneak out at night and make things happen that so many take for granted.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland