Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:36 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB75 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. The carroll County towns that caught our attention were Sykesville and eldersburg. The commute looks pretty good from there.

When I go to Owings mills, I always prefer to get off at shawan, even though the GPS says it's a couple minutes longer. One of my favorite music shops is also on York rd, south of cockeysville. So I'm fairly familiar with that area west of 83 already; it's very nice and definitely on the list.
As a constant digger I would like to know where this music shop is. Instruments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 AM

21 posts, read 29,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCoMom View Post
If you don’t mind bumper to bumper and /or sitting in traffic going to and from work, both Woodstock and Marriottsville are great areas. I live further out I70 and when I go to dentist - about 2 miles past the end of 795 - and I have first appointment of the day, I go the back way to 140 to the end of 795, saves me about 20 minutes at a minimum.

A thought about living inside the beltway. It used to be that living outside the beltway would lower your car insurance. I have no idea if that is still true, maybe purely based on miles driven now.
I figured the route from Marriottsville/Woodstock would be the same as living in Sykesville. If we really like the area, we will explore back roads and check out the amount of traffic before getting too excited I guess.

Interesting point about insurance, but the main factor would be pollution (noise, light, and air). We like a bit more space, quiet, and we have some stargazing equipment.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
As a constant digger I would like to know where this music shop is. Instruments?
It is mainly for guitar stuff. The store is Music Go Round, and they have been getting consistently better gear over time. My all time favorite shop anywhere near the area is still Atomic Music in Beltsville though. If you are a guitar or bass freak, that place is like a candy store.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Quote:
It is mainly for guitar stuff. The store is Music Go Round, and they have been getting consistently better gear over time. My all time favorite shop anywhere near the area is still Atomic Music in Beltsville though. If you are a guitar or bass freak, that place is like a candy store.
Music Go Round is in Cockeysville. I can walk to it in about 8 minutes. Been there for a few decades. There isn't a record store within 3 miles of here. Although I think something might be near were CD Depot was off of Loch Raven Blvd.

Traders closed two and a half years ago, Sound Garden in Baltimore (Sold him 57 records last night), and then Trax on Wax on Frederick Road. I am not much of a fan of any really. SG is the only one worth dealing with. And deals are limited in any of them. (An yes, Hampden has a couple)

Okay, back to you impossible quest due to your COL expectations.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Okay, back to you impossible quest due to your COL expectations.
What do you mean? I've been finding plenty for under 500k in the Sykesville and Owings mills areas.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:56 PM

We did some exploring today.

I think westminster and Pikesville are out.

Still undecided about Owings mills/Reisterstown, but it would need to be east of Owings mills blvd... where it gets pricey of course.

Still undecided about Sykesville/eldersburg too. It seemed like such a sleepy tow. After exploring Catonsville and Ellicott city.

Catonsville and Ellicott city were out favorite towns by far, but we would have to put up with an older/smaller home in a busier area. Still trying to balance that feeling.

Ultimately, somewhere in between Catonsville and Sykesville will probably win out. Well have to go back with a more direct focus after some more exploring zillow and such.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:54 AM

187 posts, read 363,752 times
Ellicott City will likely result in a less-than-ideal drive in terms of proximity to Baltimore, if that's something you'd be doing on a regular basis.

Catonsville's pretty good in that respect, with proximity to 695/95, but is a bit jankier. I'm not expert in that area so I can't really expound. Naturally it has a charming aspect to it with 'guitar row' or w/e it's called, but EC is probably a nicer place to live all around. At least it seems popular on recommendation threads.

I don't see your inclination towards Sykesville unless you desire a mostly exurban experience.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:43 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'm not exactly sure where Pikesville begins and ends. It appears inside the beltway on Google maps, but has a much larger boundary when entering it into zillow. But then most of those homes have a Baltimore address anyway.

Either way, we do not want to be too close to the beltway, and ideally we don't want to be inside it either. It looks really crowded in there. Well explore in person soon though, hopefully tomorrow.
Pikesville is a bit confusing. The actual town itself is located pretty much entirely inside the Beltway. However, the 21208 zip code, which includes it, extends a good ways beyond the Beltway. To add to the confusion, it's considered a Baltimore zip code, even though the great majority of it is outside of the city limits. You can address a letter going to 21208 to either Baltimore or Pikesville and it will get there.

Given your desire for a lot of space and some level of a Jewish presence, located not far from Owings Mills, I think that the Greenspring Valley would be perfect for you. It's basically the area bounded by Greenspring Avenue and Park Heights Avenue, and bisected by Greenspring Valley Road and Caves Road. It includes Stevenson (zip code 21153) and the eastern half of the 21117 zip code that also includes Owings Mills and Garrison. What I don't know is if you'll be able to find places within your price range. But I would recommend taking a look.

I'm a big fan of Ellicott City -- it's where I've lived for the past 20-plus years -- but I don't think it's what you want. It would be hard to find a house with the kind of space you want, and even harder to find one within your price range. And the commute up to Owings Mills could be a bear, especially when people start working at their offices again. If you do want to consider the area, you'll find that the houses with the most amount of land are those that are located along Montgomery Road, in both Ellicott City and Elkridge (21043 and 21075, respectively). They are older, smaller houses, but they tend to have pretty big yards.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses. We've been talking a lot about our priorities, and I think we need to take another look soon. We're not in a huge rush to move right away, but this 1 hour commute without traffic (will surely go up when things start opening) won't be good for me long term.

We're trying to balance how much we want to spend, how much house we need, how much land we need, what we're willing to put up with, etc. We were really surprised at how much we were drawn to areas like EC and Catonsville, and put off by the suburbs that we thought would be our top choice. Enough that we're discussing what we can sacrifice to make it a reality.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:27 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Check these Ellicott City properties out:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M68707-64626

$499,900 on a 0.59 acre lot.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M64936-56033

$459,000 on a 0.57 acre lot.

If you're willing to be flexible on the amount of land you require, you can find places in Ellicott City that might work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland