Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 04:24 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Alexandria, VA for 5 years but need to upgrade to a 3-bedroom apartment and all the Alexandria 3-bedrooms are in ghetto skyscrapers for $2,300 a month. It seems like I can get a really nice place in/near Frederick for less than $2,000, so why pay $300 extra for a far more grimy place?

I'm also saving up for a downpayment on a home and Alexandria is unaffordable, so I'm thinking of renting for a year to test drive a potential permanent home.

I really like Alexandria's progressivism and historic charm. I also like its safety and high quality of life.

I work in D.C. (Farragut Square area) and am assuming I'll be teleworking 3 days per week post COVID. I would prefer taking transit so MARC in Frederick is a huge bonus versus other colonial cities in Maryland.

I'm also a fan of the outdoors and Alexandria is somewhat lacking on that front.

I should add I've been to Frederick 4 times over the years and Frederick is my favorite city in the entire region since it's 30 minutes from Harpers Ferry and 15 minutes from the Appalachian Trail. I also love the city center which is very historic, affordable and vibrant. The surrounding area is also booming so I'd like to buy in before it prices me out as a 20something who wants to settle in the DC Metro Area long-term.

Of course, there are things you only pick up on when you live somewhere versus visiting. So for anyone who has lived in Frederick, is Frederick a cheaper Alexandria or is there some issue with the city that leads it to be so affordable (I'm an LGBT Latino, so don't want a conservative or intolerant city). Or is the entire price difference between Alexandria and Frederick simply distance from DC? Does anyone have any other feedback on the city? Is this a good place to settle down?

Or are there other historic cities in Maryland that are within DC commuting distance and you can still get a nice apartment for cheap (or a rowhome for <$500k - the amount I should be able to purchase a home for given my salary of $122,000). I know Annapolis and Ellicott City fit the bill, but both seemed harder to get to by transit. Also Ellicott City's historic core seems a bit small compared to Frederick.

Any other options? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 12:41 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Any other options? Thanks!
I think you should be OK in Frederick as an LGBT Latino. The population of Frederick City in 2019 was 18.5% Hispanic, according to the C-D main profile. Other C-D threads about diversity and politics suggest a liberal voting pattern compared to the surrounding county. The county did vote in favor of the gay marriage proposal. You might also check with this with the theFrederickcenter.org, the LGBTQ resource. Then there was this article:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...18e4cc98f.html

As far as other options, the Mount Royal neighborhood of Baltimore would put you near a train station, some nice 19th century buildings and compatible neighbors.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-19-2021 at 12:57 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 07:22 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Alexandria, due to its location, is very expensive. Frederick is not, again due to location. I'm there a lot and I have yet to find a neighborhood I felt unsafe in. Now there are low rent apartments that I would not recommend but they are obvious when you see them.

Honestly given what you like I would highly recommend moving to Frederick. Its a wonderful place. I was stunned to hear from an old friend who is married to an Asian American when he said years ago they could not move to Frederick as they had experienced looks, being ignored in restaurants etc. But that's changed. I thought of his comment as I saw a mixed race couple on Market Street, those days are over as that sight is not uncommon.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:42 AM

50 posts, read 43,514 times
As a person of color who’s lived in Frederick for over a decade, I haven’t run into any problems in Frederick proper itself, the surrounding rural areas might be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was stunned to hear from an old friend who is married to an Asian American when he said years ago they could not move to Frederick as they had experienced looks, being ignored in restaurants etc. But that's changed. I thought of his comment as I saw a mixed race couple on Market Street, those days are over as that sight is not uncommon.
Curious, how long ago was this?

Old 05-27-2021, 05:55 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
As a person of color who’s lived in Frederick for over a decade, I haven’t run into any problems in Frederick proper itself, the surrounding rural areas might be a different story.

Curious, how long ago was this?
I'm guessing 20 years ago.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:03 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Growing up in MD, I heard rumors that there were lots of racism undertones in Frederick, although that's just hearsay. I am White so I may not have fully recognized it. But that was over 20 years ago when I was a teen.

The country has gotten a lot more diverse since then, so I'm sure Frederick has become more diverse and you should be fine. Those issues should be less likely to happen now.

I would say that Alexandria is a lot more diverse than Frederick though. The other big difference between the two is the obvious fact that Alexandria is anchored by DC for big city amenities (and close to other interesting cities in NOVA and Montgomery County) whereas Frederick doesn't have that. No metro or public transportation options either like you will find in Alexandria.

Overall, I'd chose Alexandria between the two, but you are right; because of the above, prices are likely much cheaper in Frederick (so you'll get more for your money).

Old 06-01-2021, 09:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
There are a few parts of Frederick COUNTY that still have reputation for having 'racist overtones' but the area around Frederick City and down towards Urbana are not part of those areas

Old 06-02-2021, 07:32 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Frederick like other towns that are still 'kinda' in D.C. commuting territory is being overrun by DC overflow a la OP i.e. "I want D.C. but can't afford it". I wouldn't worry about it being some rural backwater town full of rednecks, and more about what kind of D.C. suburb it's going to turn into.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Frederick like other towns that are still 'kinda' in D.C. commuting territory is being overrun by DC overflow a la OP i.e. "I want D.C. but can't afford it". I wouldn't worry about it being some rural backwater town full of rednecks, and more about what kind of D.C. suburb it's going to turn into.
I'm not sure how many people really look to Frederick if they can't afford DC. Frederick is almost 50 miles from DC. In pre-pamdemic traffic, if someone drove, it would likely take over 2 hours to get into DC. Although there is a rail station in Frederick that goes into DC.

Frederick is further from DC than Columbia is (and Cokumnia is considered a Baltimore suburb). Gaithersburg/ Germantown is almost halfway between Frederick and DC, and Germantown IMO is pushing the limit of being in DC commuting territory, so doubling that makes Fredrick not really in the realm of DC IMO.

So I don't really think it's a city that would suffer from DC overflow. Gaithersburg is a city that did though. My dad used to work in Gaithersburg and even in the early 90's it had lots of land, greenery, and wasn't overdeveloped. I haven't been there in a while, but when I was back in town and drove through it a couple years ago, it is heavily developed in parts and a little run down in the portion closest to Rockville (although I understand that the more northern part is a little less dense and is better maintained).

But I think Frederick is way to far to ever become a "DC suburb."

Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 PM

50 posts, read 43,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm not sure how many people really look to Frederick if they can't afford DC. Frederick is almost 50 miles from DC. In pre-pamdemic traffic, if someone drove, it would likely take over 2 hours to get into DC. Although there is a rail station in Frederick that goes into DC.

Frederick is further from DC than Columbia is (and Cokumnia is considered a Baltimore suburb). Gaithersburg/ Germantown is almost halfway between Frederick and DC, and Germantown IMO is pushing the limit of being in DC commuting territory, so doubling that makes Fredrick not really in the realm of DC IMO.

So I don't really think it's a city that would suffer from DC overflow. Gaithersburg is a city that did though. My dad used to work in Gaithersburg and even in the early 90's it had lots of land, greenery, and wasn't overdeveloped. I haven't been there in a while, but when I was back in town and drove through it a couple years ago, it is heavily developed in parts and a little run down in the portion closest to Rockville (although I understand that the more northern part is a little less dense and is better maintained).

But I think Frederick is way to far to ever become a "DC suburb."
Lol people literally do look to Frederick for lower costs, and have been for the last 20-30 years. If not a "suburb" Frederick is definitely a exurb/satellite city of the greater DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland