Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 09:14 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
*sigh* Here we go again. I'll just repost this from one of the other threads I put it on. Why is it you guys just can't believe illegals work for a living, even if it's under the table? How do you think they get food and shelter? Osmosis?

This is from 2020.

https://www.americanprogress.org/pre...-report-shows/
  • More than 1.4 million undocumented immigrants work in construction, accounting for 13 percent of all construction workers.
  • Nearly 1 million undocumented immigrants work in accommodation and food services, approximately 8.4 percent of all workers in the industr
  • 710,000 undocumented workers make up 10 percent of the administrative and support and waste management industries, and another 489,000 undocumented workers in nonpublic administration services are also overrepresented in the field.
  • Approximately 25 percent of workers in farming, fishing, and forestry occupations are undocumented—although this is likely an undercount—as are 16 percent of workers in construction and extraction occupations.
  • 15 percent of workers in building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations are undocumented.
  • 7 percent of workers in food preparation and serving-related occupations are undocumented.
  • 7 percent of workers in production occupations are undocumented.
  • 6 percent of workers in transportation and material moving occupations are undocumented.
  • Nearly 1 in 5 landscaping workers, maids or housekeepers, and construction laborers are undocumented immigrants.
  • Nearly 30 percent of agricultural workers or painters are undocumented.
That's fine. How many working "under the table" are also taking advantage of the special social programs for them? I can tell you schools are one.

There's no excuse or reason, none, for illegals/undocumented/whatever you want to call them as to not be insulting to be working in agriculture. Work visas for that are almost unlimited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 04:36 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
As I said before, go after the people hiring them. Those people are thrilled to have illegals working for them and are content that you blame the illegals and not them. All it takes to go after them is a little willingness and some backbone from our government.

Case in point: large transaction reports. For years and years, no bank really reported large cash transactions, even though they were supposed to. Then one day, the feds decided they were missing a good thing and started fining the banks. Crocker Bank got a 4 million dollar fine and all of a sudden, all the other banks fell into step. It was too late, of course, and the fines were collected from every bank the feds could find who hadn't been in compliance. I know the bank I worked at filled out more LTRs in the next month than they had done the previous ten years. Now, of course, there isn't a bank around that will bend the rules about filling out these forms. And it can be done the same way for going after the people who hire illegals. Hit them in the pocketbook where it hurts and I can guarantee you, they will quit hiring illegals and the illegals who come here to work, will start tapering off.

And as you said, the work visas for the people we need are still there, so no need for any company to go out of business.

Old 11-24-2023, 05:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh, we're getting them. Just not, at least right now, in Harford County. I expect that to change by the end of January when the Legislature convenes for its ninety day session.
If Harford County wants them, they're going to have to serve them culturally inclusive meals, like they're preparing in NYC.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...sgiving-meals/

Quote:
CBS New York's Shosh Bedrosian got a firsthand look at how these meals are being prepared with a culturally inclusive menu.

"To feed the migrants was really, it felt like a dream come true to provide better, nutritious and culturally relevant meals," said Edward Song, CEO of Kommissary.
I hope Maryland taxpayers are up to the task.

Old 11-24-2023, 05:32 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
*sigh* Here we go again. I'll just repost this from one of the other threads I put it on. Why is it you guys just can't believe illegals work for a living, even if it's under the table? How do you think they get food and shelter? Osmosis?

This is from 2020.

https://www.americanprogress.org/pre...-report-shows/
  • More than 1.4 million undocumented immigrants work in construction, accounting for 13 percent of all construction workers.
  • Nearly 1 million undocumented immigrants work in accommodation and food services, approximately 8.4 percent of all workers in the industr
  • 710,000 undocumented workers make up 10 percent of the administrative and support and waste management industries, and another 489,000 undocumented workers in nonpublic administration services are also overrepresented in the field.
  • Approximately 25 percent of workers in farming, fishing, and forestry occupations are undocumented—although this is likely an undercount—as are 16 percent of workers in construction and extraction occupations.
  • 15 percent of workers in building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations are undocumented.
  • 7 percent of workers in food preparation and serving-related occupations are undocumented.
  • 7 percent of workers in production occupations are undocumented.
  • 6 percent of workers in transportation and material moving occupations are undocumented.
  • Nearly 1 in 5 landscaping workers, maids or housekeepers, and construction laborers are undocumented immigrants.
  • Nearly 30 percent of agricultural workers or painters are undocumented.
Perhaps this is an anomaly, but, based on my observations in MD, the percentages of undocumented immigrants working in some of the industries cited above are substantially higher. For example, the contruction and landscaping trades are dominated by undocumented labor. Hotel maids and officer cleaners are mostly immigrant Hispanic. You'll also find many Hispanics working as cooks in Chinese restaurants. So I call into question the percentages in that report.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:26 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Perhaps this is an anomaly, but, based on my observations in MD, the percentages of undocumented immigrants working in some of the industries cited above are substantially higher. For example, the contruction and landscaping trades are dominated by undocumented labor. Hotel maids and officer cleaners are mostly immigrant Hispanic. You'll also find many Hispanics working as cooks in Chinese restaurants. So I call into question the percentages in that report.
Since it's an older report, I'm sure it's off on both the numbers and the kinds of jobs listed. I don't always do a deep search for stuff on the net. If I find a couple of articles that reaffirm what I've read in the past right at the beginning, I tend to just take the one that people will have the easiest time understanding. I simply don't have the hours in a day to completely research everything I want to post. That's why I know a little about a lot of things but I'm not an expert on a lot else and I have to rely on the internet to fill in my gaps. That's not such a good thing a lot of the times, but it's the best I can do to back myself up with at least some facts, instead of relying entirely on emotional responses.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Will former Gov. O'Malley be there to welcome these "New Americans"? Why Harford, Montgomery and Prince George's both declared themselves to be "sanctuaries"?
Many dems do not know that sanctuary cities are against federal law.

Old 11-30-2023, 12:16 PM

252 posts, read 234,403 times
Why Harford county? I used to live there and would be quite surprised if the county would be broadly in favor of providing for immigrants.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:25 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
Why Harford county? I used to live there and would be quite surprised if the county would be broadly in favor of providing for immigrants.
Does that matter to the do-gooders? Were the people ever consulted about opening the border?

Old 12-03-2023, 06:32 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many dems do not know that sanctuary cities are against federal law.
Nor do they care.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:27 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Will former Gov. O'Malley be there to welcome these "New Americans"? Why Harford, Montgomery and Prince George's both declared themselves to be "sanctuaries"?
I've posted before the LAW that says "aiding and abetting illegals in anyway" is ILLEGAL.

But, this is MD.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland