Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 37,267 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of a three year old dauhgter. I'm graduating this coming December with a BSW(Bachelors of Social Work). I currently live in Cleveland, OH. I plan on moving to the DC/MD area soon after I graduate. I did a search on MD schools and it looks like PG county schools are rated very low. Montgomery county schools seemd to rate pretty well. I want my daughter to go to a good school. My question is:

DO YOU THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO MAKE IT ON A SOCIAL WORKERS SALARY IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM

33 posts, read 186,511 times
Unless other jurisdictions pay significantly more than Montgomery County I'd say not. Because you only have a BSW, in Montgomery Co you'd only be eligible to be a Public Administration Intern which is $42k a year PLUS you have to be enrolled in a MSW program. So of that $42k, you'd have to find housing (quick search on apartments.com puts the cheapest 1 bed apts in montgomery county at $800 a month, I don't know what the complex, neighborhood or schools are like...) in the good school districts in Montgomery County (the county is good as a whole, but apparently some schools are not quite so good), pay for tuition for the Master's program, pay for childcare while you're working and at school and still have money left for other expenses. Unfortunantly it does not sound very feasable....

Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I think I would agree. It seems to get a "good" SW job you need to have at least a Masters. Would it be worthwhile to stay put and get your MSW before moving. I would recommend that. I think I heard on WAMU radio that some DC agencies only higher SW employees at the master's level . . .

Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,270 times
I agree with this. I think you need a Masters in Maryland.

I think at University of Baltimore you only have to do a year if you did SW as an undergraduate.

MontCo is expensive. I know people who are SW that do it, but they don't have kids. Honestly, you'd get better mileage out of somewhere more remote (better schools), like Frederick or something.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:52 PM

107 posts, read 307,400 times
I don't know how much your salary is but I can tell you Montgomery Co. is one of them most expensive places to live in Maryland. Renting a decent apartment in a good neighborhood will cost you atleast 1300 a month for a 1 bedroom, the cheaper ones are that way for a reason. And you are right about the schools. I have gone to both P.G. and Montgomery Co. schools and can tell you from personal experience that montgomery is far far better. Somebody suggested Frederick, it is a bit cheaper to live there and the jobs are growing and growing since many people from mont co. are moving there. The schools may not be mo. county schools but I would say they are way better than pg. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: