Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 AM

60 posts, read 223,475 times

Advertisements

We are going to look at a new house on Spencer Rd. right by the Freetown Rd. intersection. Growing up I was always told to stay away from Freetown. Is there any merit to that? There is a lot of new homes around there now, it looks nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 PM

260 posts, read 844,228 times
I've never heard of Freetown, but from looking at a map it appears to be in somewhat of a working class area. But I'm not that familiar with the area so I might be wrong.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM

35 posts, read 175,207 times
It is fine unless you have kids and want them to go to public school- Freetown elementary.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 80,997 times
Default Freetown

I would agree, I would stay away from Freetown. The builders are going in and fixing up home since they were buying for pennies on the dollar, but the schools and the area is still not that great.

What is your price range? I've lived in AA County for the past 20+ years and can probably help you out

Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallison27 View Post
I would agree, I would stay away from Freetown. The builders are going in and fixing up home since they were buying for pennies on the dollar, but the schools and the area is still not that great.

What is your price range? I've lived in AA County for the past 20+ years and can probably help you out

I've always lived here and me, my husband, and his parents all graduated from Glen Burnie (and I went to Marley Middle too). I just see the area getting better and might want to give it a try. I am worried about Freetown elem. but my daughter only has 3 months left of Elem. school so if we move soon I wouldn't have long to deal with it

Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 80,997 times
Default Good Luck

Personally, I would explore more and w/out knowing your price range I would still be confident in saying there are better alternatives for you and your family.

It is a buyers market out right now (and even more so with the new tax breaks for home buyers). I don't think there is a need to settle for a location that could or could not turn around. Seems like too much of a gamble with the largest purchase of your lifetime.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallison27 View Post
Personally, I would explore more and w/out knowing your price range I would still be confident in saying there are better alternatives for you and your family.

It is a buyers market out right now (and even more so with the new tax breaks for home buyers). I don't think there is a need to settle for a location that could or could not turn around. Seems like too much of a gamble with the largest purchase of your lifetime.

The thing is we are very knowledgable, we have bought homes before, and know the market well. What's getting us is we found the absolute perfect house for us (brand new and on an acre!), that's the only reason we're considering that area! That part of town just use to be a dump and now it's not so much. I guess we'll just see! We are also looking in Howard County but for the money we'd get an older house with a lot less land. I gues we may take a gamble.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Freetown feeds into Marley Middle and Glen Burnie High Schools. Not safe schools at all.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau3 View Post
Freetown feeds into Marley Middle and Glen Burnie High Schools. Not safe schools at all.

One the other hand, if you take all the good kids out of the school, there is no good influence and how could it get any better?

My kids were in private school until this year and I think being in public schools have actually had a good impact on them (girls 10 and 14). My 14 year old is in Old Mill Middle South and it's great! It's the drug lord across the street that we're trying to get away from, among other reason's. We are continuing to look in Howard County too, but the grass isn't always greener

Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Old Mill Middle South is much better than Marley. If you move to Freetown- fill an out of area request form to keep your kids at Old Mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: