Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 55,495 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be doing a rotation at Andrews AFB starting in May and I was wondering what areas near there would be a good choice to find housing. I'm 24, of Asian descent from Hawaii. Also, is there public transportation that can get me to and from the base??

Alohas,

R.O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 153,401 times
Anne Arundel County is only about a 30 minute drive to Andrew's AFB and has many commercial developments and things to do. It is also about a 40 or so minute drive to D.C., where there is much more clubs and cultural activities. Calvert County in southern Maryland is nice, but is very pricey and has little commercial development. Charles County would be my 2nd choice after Anne arundel county as it has Waldorf, which is the major commercial center of Southern Maryland. I would not recommend Virginia, as it will be too much of a commute over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Montgomery and Howard Counties are nice, but are very pricey and also about 45 minutes from Andrew's AFB. I would not recommend P.G. County (which Andrew's AFB is located in) as it has a high crime rate and has a lot of extreme poverty.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:51 PM

165 posts, read 926,002 times
Lightbulb Will be working at Andews air force base, where should I live???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrrussell2 View Post
Anne Arundel County is only about a 30 minute drive to Andrew's AFB and has many commercial developments and things to do. It is also about a 40 or so minute drive to D.C., where there is much more clubs and cultural activities. Calvert County in southern Maryland is nice, but is very pricey and has little commercial development. Charles County would be my 2nd choice after Anne arundel county as it has Waldorf, which is the major commercial center of Southern Maryland. I would not recommend Virginia, as it will be too much of a commute over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Montgomery and Howard Counties are nice, but are very pricey and also about 45 minutes from Andrew's AFB. I would not recommend P.G. County (which Andrew's AFB is located in) as it has a high crime rate and has a lot of extreme poverty.
In regards to Calvert County. Have you been there lately? Prince Frederick is turning into a respectable commercial hot spot. It still has a long way to go but it's worlds different than it was 5-10 years ago.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 PM

22 posts, read 153,401 times
Yes I've been to Calvert County (I Live in St. Mary's), but I'm only familiar with the Prince Frederick and Solomon's Area. I think that California, MD has more stores (JcPenny, Belks, Best Buy stick out that are in St. Mary's), but I haven't been to Calvert recently so im not sure of any new development.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
Anne Arundel County is very expensive, unless you live in the southern part. I live in Severna Park and am ready to run because of the cost of living.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
you may also want to think about fort washington or upper marlboro in PG. not all of PG county has major crime levels. these are two towns which are close to the base and not too much crime. the key in PG is to stay as far away from DC as possible. that means don't be inside the capital beltway.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 04-02-2007 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: info.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 55,495 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. All your suggestions are being taken into consideration.

Aloha,

RO

Old 04-06-2007, 05:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
on base..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland