Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 37,210 times

Advertisements

I've read the Columbia Covenant Rules and am pretty sure that a violation has been committed by one of my neighbors.

Should I report it to the HOA? Or should I ignore it? The alleged violation is not a big deal and I have nothing against the neighbor at all. But I do believe that every resident should abide by the HOA rules. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 PM

130 posts, read 362,366 times
Depends. Do you wish to incur the ill will of a neighbor for something "not a big deal"? Even if anon, you can be sure the rumor mill will out you.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,939 times
Most people probably did not read the convenants. If it is not a big deal then let it go. Also if it bothers you say something to your neighbors before taking it to the HOA. Also, we should use the HOA for real problems, when people's houses look horrible and someone has decided to use their front yard as a junkyard.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
If it doesn't affect your property directly, then leave it alone. The HOA should have it's own people out looking for violations--mine sure did!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM

205 posts, read 824,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boongg View Post
I've read the Columbia Covenant Rules and am pretty sure that a violation has been committed by one of my neighbors.

Should I report it to the HOA? Or should I ignore it? The alleged violation is not a big deal and I have nothing against the neighbor at all. But I do believe that every resident should abide by the HOA rules. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the HOA.
What kind of violation?

Ah Columbia...the land of unmarked shopping centers, not enough parking, mandatory gym membership, weirdly named streets, and photo-ticketing cameras every 500 feet. Beware that these things have a way of coming back onto you. If you were my neighbor and reported me for something relatively minor I would go out of my way to 1) confirm who reported me (anonymity won't help you), 2) complain about every little tiny thing you did that I could somehow twist into being a violation, 3) refuse to recognize your existence, and 4) do things to drive you crazy. HOA's were originally conceived to keep neighborhoods from looking trashy. These days HOA's have become mini-regimes which oppressively enforce rules about grass on a handful of stray clippings, declare flag poles ugly, and routinely embezzle or waste away the money of their residents. If you're out looking for violations then you have too much free time and not enough hobbies. Stop worrying about everyone else's private space and enjoy your own!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM

10 posts, read 37,210 times
Quote:
Stop worrying about everyone else's private space and enjoy your own!
I couldn't care less if the effect of a violation were limited to one's own private space.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM

165 posts, read 926,073 times
Uh well first do you have a good relationship with that neighbor? If so then you probably want to let them fix it rather than 'rat them out'.

Second, if the violation isn't harming anyone you may wish to defer to the HOA's bloodhounds finding the violation on their own accord. Third, if that still doesn't work you could report it but as others have said be prepared and fully accept that you may never have a good relationship with that neighbor again.

If it's an eye sore and costing your community the HOA personnel should be able to spot it. I'm presuming this is relatively small meaning it only affects you because you noticed it or are forced to notice it because you see it so often from your property. If this is indeed the case and not worth a neighborhood gossip fest...just man (or woman) up and talk to the neighbor. They may very well not know they are doing something wrong.

Speaking as someone who's had a neighbor get a violation pointed out...and they thought it was my wife and I who did it...the threats, hate and discontent are NOT WORTH IT. If I actually cared about this neighbor I'd be upset about it so it's easier for me but it could have ruined a good relationship had this happened with a neighbor I actually give a damn about. =)

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM

205 posts, read 824,298 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less if the effect of a violation were limited to one's own private space.
Perhaps it would help if you gave more details about the possible violation. Is it something that smells? Is it something visible from afar or only from an upper story looking down into a fenced area? Is it a noise? Perhaps your neighbor owns an outlawed pet, has a vehicle with commercial logos on it, or they didn't bother to clear snow from their sidewalks? Maybe your neighbor has done home improvements without getting the proper approvals? The term violation is very broad these days. It could be something innocent like putting up a flag pole or having a pet that can be easily confused with an alligator. It could be something serious like parking several box trucks on their lawn or not cleaning up after their dog(s).

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,951 times
The neighborly thing to do would be to discuss it with your neighbor. Since we don't know what the violation is and assume it's not a major "thing", perhaps speak like a grownup to your neighbor. Start off by saying something like .... (to fill in the blank, let's say the violation is a broken window)

"Hi, I noticed you have a broken window, what a shame. (chat) I don't know if you know but it's actually a violation of the HOA rules. I think you could get the glass replaced without having to go to the expense of replacing the whole window. You might try to get an estimate from "ABC Glass" they do a good job."

One of the problems with HOAs is they tend to take the role of social trouble shooter. Instead try neighbor talking to neighbor ... it can work!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,733 times
Quote:

I don't have a HOA. One of my neighbors have a car sitting in front of their house. It's been sitting for over 6 months. County states, no car sits over a month. Should I call the county??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: