Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see some of these folks pull into a truckstop parking lot and tell these truckers just how inconsiderate they are not to clean off the roof of their 53' trailers before hitting the roads.

I'd also like to know who would be foolish enough to set up a ladder on their snowy, icy driveways so they can clean off the roof of their SUV or pickup truck.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM

53 posts, read 157,898 times
I'm guessing you didn't clean off of your SUV roof. A ladder is not necessary. just open the door and stand on the inside door frame and use a broom. Or just clean the driveway first. If you can wash the roof of your car, which I'm sure you do, you can push the snow off of it. As for the truckers comment, I'm not even going to bother.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM

10 posts, read 37,228 times
Driving with snow on the vehicle's roof must be made illegal ASAP.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Something that stupid has to at least be considered reckless endangerment if there is no direct law covering it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Ok I am GUILTY as charged. However, it seems like people here want to constantly attack the owners of SUVS as being the culprit of every darn thing.

This morning i used a broom to clean off the top of my SUV. HOWEVER, i did not realize how stuck the ice was to my roof --which happens to have 2 sunroofs. SO, i cleaned as much as i could. I asked dear hubby but he is not the "old school man", my dad was. He did a 1/2 azz job, so I left my apt bldg and drove to a nearby lot to avoid a fight. Anywho, I was driving and some spots i did miss. Now, as long as you are not tailgating the chips did not hit anyones car. Plus it is VERY unwise to follow trucks, suv's etc too closely as it is harder for us to see you in our blind spot (for some reason the younguns in the little Honda's LOVE to get too close to me-but i have tricks for them).

I got to my coffee spot and cleaned more snow/ice off. I feel like there was so much I wasn't getting. Now before anyone says (climb on the side or the inside-No, i am the ultimate klutz + I am not going to get my work clothes wet/dirty. I got as much as I could. In the meantime I was on 29 and saw NUMEROUS little cutesy cars loaded down with snow---OH and the MINIVANS, and the white WORK VANS and the BOX TRUCKS and SEMIS (ALWAYS see snow on those things!)

Snow is not that common here (besides this year) to the point where a person should not buy a Truck,SUV whatever-even if they can't reach the top. Besides until they enforce truckers to clean off the top I will do my best -or get a tarp for the truck.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
PA and NJ are in the process of enacting laws that require ALL vehicles to be cleared of snow. I'm sorry but lawmakers in those states have NO connection to reality... There is NO practical way to clean off the roof of a 13'6" truck trailer. The risk of injury/death (and accompanying Workmen's Comp claims) would cost far more than insurance claims from snow/ice damage to following vehicles. Sorry, but the cost/benefit ratio for these laws , no matter how aggravating the problem is, just do not make economic sense. That's why we have insurance...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
I learned to clean off my roof the hard way. I was driving back to D.C. from New York and encountered a blizzard along the way. Stopped for the night somewhere in Jersey and started off the next day when I got the windows clean. Didn't bother with the roof.
I got to the Delaware bridge and the car in front of me stopped and I hit the brakes. All the snow and ice on the roof came down on my windshield. Couldn't see anything, no where to pull over on the bridge, the windshield wipers couldn't move it.
I opened the window and was able to pull off a couple of pieces so I could see. Had to pull over once I got across and clean it all off. I was lucky. It could have been very bad.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM

No practical way? I'm guessing most roof lines are higher than that and yet people manage to get up there safely. I'm also betting the trailers are long enough to store an extension ladder, easily attached to the interior roof. Use the ladder to reach the top of the trailer and push the snow off with a broom. No need to climb onto the trailer just take your time and move the ladder along. Feel free to share this wisdom.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
They constantly tell people not to climb up on the roof if they don't know what they are doing. A lot of people die doing that.
Just out today and there are still cars w a lot of snow on them.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Ok I am GUILTY as charged. However, it seems like people here want to constantly attack the owners of SUVS as being the culprit of every darn thing.

This morning i used a broom to clean off the top of my SUV. HOWEVER, i did not realize how stuck the ice was to my roof --which happens to have 2 sunroofs. SO, i cleaned as much as i could. I asked dear hubby but he is not the "old school man", my dad was. He did a 1/2 azz job, so I left my apt bldg and drove to a nearby lot to avoid a fight. Anywho, I was driving and some spots i did miss. Now, as long as you are not tailgating the chips did not hit anyones car. Plus it is VERY unwise to follow trucks, suv's etc too closely as it is harder for us to see you in our blind spot (for some reason the younguns in the little Honda's LOVE to get too close to me-but i have tricks for them).

I got to my coffee spot and cleaned more snow/ice off. I feel like there was so much I wasn't getting. Now before anyone says (climb on the side or the inside-No, i am the ultimate klutz + I am not going to get my work clothes wet/dirty. I got as much as I could. In the meantime I was on 29 and saw NUMEROUS little cutesy cars loaded down with snow---OH and the MINIVANS, and the white WORK VANS and the BOX TRUCKS and SEMIS (ALWAYS see snow on those things!)

Snow is not that common here (besides this year) to the point where a person should not buy a Truck,SUV whatever-even if they can't reach the top. Besides until they enforce truckers to clean off the top I will do my best -or get a tarp for the truck.
No one's attacking SUV drivers, because there are plenty of cars that had snow on top of their roofs. But if you think that someone is supposed to buy the excuse that your roof was too high to reach and clear the snow, tell that to the person you run into when the snow slides down your windshield, as a poster above recalled.

It's good to hear that you did get the snow off though. I just hope people realize that the danger is not just limited to the sheets of snow flying backwards, and the temporary remedy is not simply for other drivers to just keep their distance, unless of course you do all of your commuting on two lane roads with no bicyclists/pedestrians/parked cars on the side of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland