Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Got a favor people. I'm looking to take the wife on a weekend trip this weekend. Nothing too far from NoVa but maybe something in MD no more than a couple hours away. Any suggestions on a town with some hotels and restaurants available as well as some shops or fun things to do on Saturday afternoon. We're not really into the art scene so a town will little art shops is not really for us. Just looking for something different.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Got a favor people. I'm looking to take the wife on a weekend trip this weekend. Nothing too far from NoVa but maybe something in MD no more than a couple hours away. Any suggestions on a town with some hotels and restaurants available as well as some shops or fun things to do on Saturday afternoon. We're not really into the art scene so a town will little art shops is not really for us. Just looking for something different.

Thanks
Go to the Rio in Gaithersburg/Rockville and spend a couple hours, then go to the Kentlands walk around and end with dinner at O'donelles. Make sure and have some rum buns while there. Stay at the Mariott, the one overlooking the lake at the Rio.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,369 times
Small town? Gaithersburg?

I suggest Frederick, downtown there's so many stores, restaurants, all pretty fun..
Also, CharlesTown WV, I'm not sure on stores but I know there's a lot of cute B&B's.
Luckettsville, VA has a lot of great antique places you may want to check out there.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Go to the Rio in Gaithersburg/Rockville and spend a couple hours, then go to the Kentlands walk around and end with dinner at O'donelles. Make sure and have some rum buns while there. Stay at the Mariott, the one overlooking the lake at the Rio.

The wife is intriqued by this place. How far is Kentland's from Rio?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Solomon's in Calvert County. Crisfield on the lower Eastern Shore.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The wife is intriqued by this place. How far is Kentland's from Rio?
10 mins drive..max..

Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Solomon's in Calvert County. Crisfield on the lower Eastern Shore.

Crisfield may be a little too far. Solomons and St. Michaels are both similar small towns, but in different directions - both are on peninsulas surrounded by water, boats, seafood dining, and boutiques. Both Solomons and St. Michaels have "Maritime Museums" displaying the culture of fishermen and boating. St. Michaels for a diversion also has a free ferryboat and is also popular with leisurely bicyclists - while Solomons has a harbor cruise boat the "Tennyson" (not sure if it's in season?)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 48,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Rio? Kentlands? Seriously? Those aren't small towns, they're "new urbanist" developments that were created by developers 10-15 years ago. You may as well go drive over to the friggin' Reston Town center and get a hotel there. Don't get me wrong, they're fine places to live, but I wouldn't plan a weekend getaway there or anything.

I'd suggest hanging out in Frederick, MD or Annapolis...they are more of a "big town"/"small city" than a small town, though they'd seem like a small town to anyone coming from the hustle and bustle of the beltway. They also have a historic small town feel if you stay downtown where this is plenty of shopping and restaurants. I'd also recommend Fredericksburg, VA or Charlottesville, VA, which have a similar vibe. Solomons Island sounds like it's supposed to be pretty cool, though I'd save it for the spring or summer. Though I've never been so I really couldn't provide you with details on that one.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange356 View Post
Rio? Kentlands? Seriously? Those aren't small towns, they're "new urbanist" developments that were created by developers 10-15 years ago. You may as well go drive over to the friggin' Reston Town center and get a hotel there. Don't get me wrong, they're fine places to live, but I wouldn't plan a weekend getaway there or anything.

I'd suggest hanging out in Frederick, MD or Annapolis...they are more of a "big town"/"small city" than a small town, though they'd seem like a small town to anyone coming from the hustle and bustle of the beltway. They also have a historic small town feel if you stay downtown where this is plenty of shopping and restaurants. I'd also recommend Fredericksburg, VA or Charlottesville, VA, which have a similar vibe. Solomons Island sounds like it's supposed to be pretty cool, though I'd save it for the spring or summer. Though I've never been so I really couldn't provide you with details on that one.
oops...key word being 'small'...., my apologies. However, Reston TC ain't the same vibe.. Solomons is vy nice in the summer.... Out of your suggestions, I'll choose Annapolis. Frederick, hmmm, ah there's a Crate & Barrel to eat at there - the only one in this area.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
My vote's for Annapolis too, I think that would be the best bet that is a nice "small town" feel, is a quick trip from NoVa and has all the shops, dining and places to stay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland