Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Never heard of either of those. If you can give me a physical address for them, I will give my impression of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 38,668 times
Town and country are out on Christie Rd I believe which is a quiet more rural area easy access to Allegany College, Cumberland Country club, and the new hospital. The road itself is rather windy and narrow but it is a nice area out that way. Miller Apartments appear to be the old Columbia St School, I would stay away from that area unless it is all you can afford. I wouldnt say it is dangerous or anything like that it is just a more run down area of town.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Gotcha. I would second the recommendation to stay away from the old Columbia St. school. I have never heard of the Town and Country Apts, but if it is out by the college it would fine.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM

279 posts, read 589,884 times
I was born and raised in the area. Moved back a couple years ago. Town and Country Apts seem to always be advertising. I think their rent is a bit higher than people expect to pay around here for an apartment. Plus, apartments are few and far between here too compared to other areas. Townhouses as well, and most who get a townhouse, hold onto it. They aren't exactly centrally located. On the far out end of Cumberland without much of anything to do. 818 is Mt Royal Apts. Anyone I have ever known to live there liked them, but they were also all early 20's, college aged people.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM

279 posts, read 589,884 times
Are you looking for more of a city style of living (if you want to cosider Cumberland a city) or a suburb. If you want to stay in Cumberland I would look at areas near or off of Fayette St, homes in the Allegany High district are generally nice with less crime. Gephart Drive is often advertising sales and rentals but be careful which end you are on. One is a little shady while the other is very nice. Do you want an apartment or a home? Cresaptown, Bel Air, and Rawlings are also nice. Very suburban, quiet. Do you have any children? If so I would stick with Cresaptown as an elementary school. It's been voted in the top five in Md and is a blue ribbon school. Both of my children go there, as did I, my father, and his father. Middle and High schools I think Braddock Middle and Washington Middle are about equal. Bishop Walsh, which is private middle and high, and Allegany High, which is public are the best high in my opinion. Fort Hill High School's district is filled with nice homes as well, and I wouldn't say to stay away from that area, but being you are looking from out of town I would familiarize myself very well with local street maps. It's very easy in that end of town to be in a lovely safe neighborhood and have common criminals and crack addicts living two streets over. As a general rule of thumb I would stay away from Maryland Ave, Columbia St, Decatur St, Pine Ave is getting a little better but not much, Race St, Pennsylvania Ave, Arch St, Grand Ave. Those are definitely more of the slums of Cumberland. A newcomer moving to Cumberland probably wouldn't get the best picture of this town when living on those streets. Just my opinion.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 25,068 times
Thank you everyone for your help. Like anywhere we found some great places and some places that would give Baltimore a run for its money in the inhabitable category. We found a small house for my son and a roommate on Old Williams Road SE.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,950 times
I am moving back to Cumberland after about 20 years living elsewhere and I'm having a hard time even finding apartments, townhouses or houses to rent. I've called 10 or 12 places listed in the Cumberland Times News and only one person has responded (what's up with that?) If someone knows of better places to look or real estate people who deal with rentals and can let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
Is the Valley Steet neighbord a good one in Cumberland. I grew up in Frostburg, but may be buying a house on Valley
Street. Any advice?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM

Valley St. is OK. The biggest drawback is that it is close to Columbia, Henderson, and Independence Streets, which are not so nice. In short, it isn't the worst neighborhood in town, but not the best either. It is in the middle. Not much to worry about other than some knucklehead foot traffics and occasional bad neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland