Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 60,511 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I are thinking of moving to Plainville. He would be commuting to South Boston (leaving at around 6am). Can anybody give me some insight on this commute? Also interested in opinions on school system, crime, accessibility to shopping, etc. Does the town have any annual events, parades, fireworks. Is this a nice town for kids to grow up in?

Appreciate any info you can provide!

Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
As far as I know, Plainville has a couple of elementary schools, one in the center near the library and another on Rte. 106 (Jackson School, I think?) That complex is very nice. The upper grades are part of the King Philip Regional system.

Shopping would mostly be in neighboring towns like North Attleborough, Wrentham, Foxborough, Mansfield. There isn't much in Plainville, itself.

To be honest, there are some nicer neighborhoods (mostly on the outskirts) and some really dumpy areas. The actual center is not very actractive, although there is a cool diner there. It could be nice, but it really needs work. I don't think the crime is too bad, but I'd guess what occurs there is mostly drug related or domestic violence of some sort.

If you could let me know the specific area of the town, I might be able to give you a more information.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Plainville now has its own Target, Lowe's, Stop and Shop, TJ MAX and a few smaller places. Anything missing there can be found in the adjacent towns. Also some decent local restaurant/pubs like The Chieftain, Fitzy's and an OK Mexican place.

Plainville I would describe as overwhelmingly middle-of-the-road (which I think is good especially when raising kids). There are very vew "really dumpy" neighborhoods, unless your defenition of that is an occasional multi-family near the center. The center is not attractive but could be much worse. Only along Rt. 1 are there some mobile-home parks/apartments that I would avoid. They don't come close to ghetto though. Now Attleboro, Brockton, Taunton...they have some dumpy areas. Plainville I think is good choice. Good schools, local services, highway access, small town feel, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,143 times
Commuting from Plainville to Southie could prove to be a nightmare. It would take over 1.5 hrs and if you do not have a secure parking spot in Southie good luck, because parking - what there is of it is at a premium. One could take the commuter rail to Suth Station & then a but or 2 depending on where you are going - a train pass will run you $280.month for the train (which will take 55 min. and a bus/T pass for another $60/month. The nearest train station to Plainville is in North Attleboro and it is $5/day to park a car there. The school are poor, with students barely passing the state required MCAS tests. It is a poverty-stricken town with many trailer parks. One would be better off moving to one of the nicer sections of Boston such as West Roxbury, where there are more educated/professional white-collar families.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntcelia View Post
The school are poor.
You must have been educated there yourself

Did the Plainville schools teach you to read a calender as well, or look at dates?

..and please tell me where that train station is in North Attleborough, it must be a well kept secret.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,899 times
Massnative71,

Just because one makes a typo does not mean that one is not well educated.

Why attack someone when they are just trying to offer someone advice?

Why don't you try posting something helpful.

Mrs. Hollingsworth

PS The Plainville schools really are sub-standard on all fronts; you might want to check the crime statistics, because they do tell a story.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryhollyingsworth View Post
Massnative71,

Just because one makes a typo does not mean that one is not well educated.

Why attack someone when they are just trying to offer someone advice?

Why don't you try posting something helpful.
It's an obvious troll post, sorry if I feed them every now and then.

Should false information not be corrected? Do those "in the know" not have the duty to do so?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntcelia View Post
Commuting from Plainville to Southie could prove to be a nightmare. It would take over 1.5 hrs and if you do not have a secure parking spot in Southie good luck, because parking - what there is of it is at a premium. One could take the commuter rail to Suth Station & then a but or 2 depending on where you are going - a train pass will run you $280.month for the train (which will take 55 min. and a bus/T pass for another $60/month. The nearest train station to Plainville is in North Attleboro and it is $5/day to park a car there. The school are poor, with students barely passing the state required MCAS tests. It is a poverty-stricken town with many trailer parks. One would be better off moving to one of the nicer sections of Boston such as West Roxbury, where there are more educated/professional white-collar families.
Have you ever driven from that area into Boston? Over 90 minutes to get from Plainville to South Boston? Maybe on the really bad days when there are multiple accidents. Plus, the person would be leaving at 6am. At that hour, while there may still be some heavy volume. You should have no problem getting to South Boston in under an hour on a regular basis. You also need to realize there are tons of lot spaces that you can park in and pay for the day. I am going to guess the person will be working near the waterfront where there are tons of parking lots and even a large amount of on street, meter parking. I myself have had some luck finding one of these meter spots on multiple occasions.

Plainville is a poverty stricken town with many trailer parks? That would be news to those that live there. Plainville is a fine town that is located in a good spot. Rte.1, 95 and 495 all are very close by and run through the town. They are part of King Phillip, which has a brand new, modern High School to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts