Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM

385 posts, read 1,455,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I AM NOT IN FAVOR AND REPUBLICANS AREN'T EITHER!! But it looks like the Democrats are and you seem to be unable to admit this.
My personal feeling, based on the fact that 70% of Americans support the Arizona law, is that voters of both parties oppose illegal immigration. Democratic politicians, on the other hand, are another story.

But it's true that some Republicans don't want to end illegal immigration either--some are just paying lip service to the idea. Who really benefits from cheap immigrant labor? Big business. Those companies contribute large donations to candidates from both parties. So Republicans protest illegal immigration, without always going after the companies who actually hire illegals, while Democrats pander to illegals to satisfy both their corporate donors and the Hispanic voters they hope to attract.

That said, I voted for Baker, largely because I found Patrick's position on illegal immigration ridiculous and unsustainable. The fact that this is the first act of his new term makes me glad I didn't give him my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 AM

45 posts, read 199,655 times
Lets get it straight, this is not free tuition for all illegal immigrants. It's directed to someone that is undocumented that graduated high school (i.e. a child) in the state of Massachusetts; they would be allowed the same in-state college tuition as a US citizen who graduated through the same system. This is addressed towards illegal immigrants that came here as young children and have received all or most of their education in the Massachusetts school system, many of whom have spent all or most of their life here in Mass. Please remember that illegals pay the same taxes as we do for the schools unless they are paid "under the table". I know several legal trade people who generate a good percentage of their income under the table thereby limiting their tax liability yet their kids take advantage of the state and local schools. Now that the facts are straight please continue the discussion.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmak57 View Post
Lets get it straight, this is not free tuition for all illegal immigrants. It's directed to someone that is undocumented that graduated high school (i.e. a child) in the state of Massachusetts; they would be allowed the same in-state college tuition as a US citizen who graduated through the same system. This is addressed towards illegal immigrants that came here as young children and have received all or most of their education in the Massachusetts school system, many of whom have spent all or most of their life here in Mass. Please remember that illegals pay the same taxes as we do for the schools unless they are paid "under the table". I know several legal trade people who generate a good percentage of their income under the table thereby limiting their tax liability yet their kids take advantage of the state and local schools. Now that the facts are straight please continue the discussion.
Illegals do not pay the same taxes that everyone else pays. By in large they are paid for manual labor under the table. Most are undocumented, so no tax dollars. Also most rent, so again no property tax revenue either.

And it costs around 14K per student per year to educate. All the illegal children end up costing the state millions of dollars.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmak57 View Post
If the governor is going to propose new legislation to grant in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrants, it will have to be substantially different from the previous proposals which were far broader than what you're describing. Still, several legislators from both parties have indicated that there is no broad support from the legislature to pass such a bill. It's not like we have extra slots available at the state universities and we need to fill them and give them a discount, too.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Also most rent, so again no property tax revenue either.

And it costs around 14K per student per year to educate. All the illegal children end up costing the state millions of dollars.

Rent would go into paying property taxes, no?

And however much it costs to have them educated a year, have them pay that. If it costs 14k to teach a student, then charge them 14k. If the out-of-state rate is higher and they're coming from out-of-state, charge them that rate. If there is proof they are paying some taxes to the state, then drop the rate by the amount in taxes they have actually paid.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Rent would go into paying property taxes, no?

And however much it costs to have them educated a year, have them pay that. If it costs 14k to teach a student, then charge them 14k. If the out-of-state rate is higher and they're coming from out-of-state, charge them that rate. If there is proof they are paying some taxes to the state, then drop the rate by the amount in taxes they have actually paid.
I could see that if there was an abundance of empty slots at the state colleges. However that is not the case. Every illegal admitted means a legal citizen is denied admission, which is plain wrong.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
^ To be fair, there's a fair number of slots taken which are by people who have little business being in college in the first place. There to party and have the lifestyle, but just marginal academically.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
The interesting thing to know is whether these illegals get in because of their minority status. I'm assuming most are hispanic and that they may push others out of school because state schools try to stay diverse.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
I live in NH and my daughter is looking at Mass College of Art which is part of the MA state college system. Tuition and fees:
In state: $9000 per year
New england: $15,700
Outside new England: $25,400
(Does not include room and board, art supplies, etc.)

So, for the four years, we'll pay $62,800 while the illegal immigrant family in MA will pay $36,000. Those not in New England will pay $101,600. There is a distinct advantage to being illegal in MA....

Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM

45 posts, read 199,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I live in NH and my daughter is looking at Mass College of Art which is part of the MA state college system. Tuition and fees:
In state: $9000 per year
New england: $15,700
Outside new England: $25,400
(Does not include room and board, art supplies, etc.)

So, for the four years, we'll pay $62,800 while the illegal immigrant family in MA will pay $36,000. Those not in New England will pay $101,600. There is a distinct advantage to being illegal in MA....

I think the difference here is that the illegal child that would be attending college has already been in the state school system for some time, and that their family has been paying taxes to the state by both sales tax and property tax (renting counts) and perhaps state income tax as well. Any legal family that lives in the state and pays taxes to the state, even if they have only lived here for a year, gets the reduced admission. I believe the governors thinking is that the policy should be the same for all families in the state, legal or illegal, as long as the child has graduated from the state school system. Since you have not paid taxes to the state your daughter has to pay the higher tuition. However, I believe your daughter would pay a reduced tuition if she attended a NH college, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts