Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be starting at UMass Lowell this fall. I am hoping someone can give me advices on where is a good town/city to live that is easy to commute to Lowell, but close enough to Boston by taking the MBTA commuter train. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Most of these towns directly in between Boston and Lowell would be too sleepy for a college age student. I recommend living in Lowell or living near Boston in Medford or Somerville where many people in their 20s live. West Medford is a actually on a commuter line that goes directly to Lowell and you might be able to catch a shuttle or city bus to the campus from there, for the days you don't want to drive.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
I assume you are a graduate student?

The UMass Lowell office of Residence Life can assist you with off-campus graduate student housing:

Office of Residence Life

Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
I would live in Lowell. Assuming you're going to campus 4-5 days a week, the commute out from anywhere more interesting than Lowell is going to be pretty long. And as the 'burbs go, Lowell has pretty good dining (though for budget reasons, you should cook at home).

Not to mention you'd be paying a premium for housing to live closer to the city only to spend money commuting out (whether by MBTA or by car). You'll save a lot by living in Lowell rather than West Medford.

I agree with gf- contact the UM-L housing office. They presumably have someone to at least have a discussion with you about what's available locally and what might meet your needs/wants. After you get a general lay of the land I'm sure if you have specific questions you'll get opinions from C-D posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts