Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 PM

227 posts, read 607,918 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have become enamored with a home we found on the internet that is for sale in Shelburne. We have a few questions however before we start calling agents and such...

What is the town of Shelburne like to live in? It seems primarily rural, which we like... We just don't want to hear any Deliverance Banjos to be playing whenever the locals come out. I know from my online research that there are some touristy destinations in the area, which is nice. Is it more of a vacation town than a residential area? and last, of course, how are the schools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
can't comment on the schools,but you will not hear banjo's playing when the locals are out.it is rural for the northeast but if you have been to certain areas of west texas and the midwest,then you might not think it is that rural.meaning that you rarely are in an area that is completely uninhabited,there is generally always someone within close proximity.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I am from the pacific North West, and we currently live in Texas, so I know what you mean by truly rural...without a soul in sight for miles. I have been reading more, and it doesn't look like that is the case. in fact, from what I have read it seems to be a town with a thriving arts community... this is very favorable to me, and my husband. he is a musician and I paint and do a variety of other fine arts.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Dear ThinkingThinking:

My wife and I have been to that part of MA many, many times. We like it very much. The folks there are quite sophisticated, no banjos. Sorry I can't be more specific, just that we've always found the place very beautiful and I can understand why you find it attractive. I'd give it some serious thought.

Rich

PS

We live on Cape Cod.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Sounds like a beautiful community!

You'd be about 15-20 miles from Brattleboro, about 20-30 miles from Bennington. and about 30 -35 miles from Springfield.

Here's some links to help you out

Shelburne Falls
Dining
Visitor Information
Real Estate
Shelburne Falls, MA: Visitor Information (http://www.shelburnefalls.com/visitorinfo/ - broken link)
Shelburne Falls Massachusetts Activities and Attractions (http://www.shelburnefalls.com/attractions/ - broken link)
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.city-data.com/city/Shelbu...achusetts.html
Bridge of Flowers - Shelburne Falls - Reviews of Bridge of Flowers - TripAdvisor

Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum
Ride the Trolley - Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum

Glacial Potholes Shelburne Falls Mass
Glacial Potholes - Shelburne Falls - Reviews of Glacial Potholes - TripAdvisor

Collected Poets Series poetry readings Shelburne Falls MA

Memorial Hall - Shelburne Falls
http://www.shelburnefallsmemorialhall.org/

The Oxbow Resort Motel, Shelburne Falls, MA

Shelburne Falls Fire District Home

Shelburne Falls bowling alley
Shelburne Falls Bowling Alley - Candlepin Bowling Since 1906!

Small Town in Mass - Shelburne Falls Sightseeing Mass - Dining in Shelburne Falls, MA - Accommodations Shelburne Falls, Mass - Activities in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts - The Mohawk Trail Region

Shelburne falls coffee roasters
Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters - organic coffee and gourmet coffee

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Bridge of Flowers - Shelburne Falls, MA - American Guide Series on Waymarking.com

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Shelburne Falls is a really cool town! I have only hung out in the downtown a few times but I can at least say it is a very pretty. I wouldn't worry about Deliverenceesque Banjos. Shelburne Falls is more of a funky little hippy town (at least thats what the center seems like. I'm sure there are people from all walks of life). I would definitely recommed checking it out. There are some good restaurants and stuff but it is for sure a very small town, although that is what I assume you want.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,407 times
You guys forgot the coolest thing of all: Shelburne Falls Bowling Alley!

Shelburne Falls Bowling Alley - Candlepin Bowling Since 1906!

I'm a scratch/tournament bowler and go all over New England to bowl candlepin tournaments... and I can say, without hesitation, that Shelburne Falls is the funkiest, coolest, not-to-be-missed old bowling alley EVER!

Urb

Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Great links and feedback! I am liking what I hear!

Would a commute to Marlborough be unreasonable? My husband would work from home, but the data center is located in Marlborough, so he would have to drive into the office several times a month for meetings and whatever. Google says the drive is about an hour and a half long.

For comparison, we are coming from Houston, where the daily commute can last an average of 2 hours, so it really doesn't sound that bad.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM

123 posts, read 473,753 times
The commute is a long one for this area, but if it is not being done more than a couple times per week I doubt you would have a problem with it. In the bleak midwinter, though, the trip down rte 2 might be inadvisable, though, so as long as these meetings can be missed, postponed, or handled telephonically on occasion, this would not be a problem.

There is a lively music scene in the area. Nobody gets rich, but a lot of people come out to play and to listen. A great local band is the Winterpills, if you like that sort of thing.

As for schools, what are you looking for? Local school districts are under a lot of pressure right now, but while the town of Greenfield is in a real, ongoing crisis, I have not heard of any problems in Shelburne. Anyone's satisfaction has a lot to do with their expectations.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the music recommendation! My husband will be interested to hear them.

Regarding schools, We're coming from Texas... so my expectations are quite low! LOL.
Ideally I desire for my kids to go to schools that educate them to become world citizens, Instead of the school spending all thier time and budget worrying about gangs and violence, or how long a child's hair is, or if they have a gun in their locker...and having ridiculous curriculum like intelligent design being taught in science class, or a 4th grade teacher who wouldn't allow my son to read Harry Potter during reading time, because "its satanic".

I come from a family of educators, and I know that there are good and bad teachers wherever you go, of course, so I am realistic. We aren't big sports people, so a strong athletic program isn't a concern. I just want a good solid school that teaches my child what he needs to know so he can go to college and learn about the world. The small class sizes appeal to me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts