Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM

55 posts, read 140,110 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to the Boston Area from Dallas due to work and have been looking for places to rent with a budget of 1300$ max. I have found good rentals but since I do not have any idea of neighborhoods I was wondering someone could fill me in. right now I am looking at a few condos/apartments in the North framingham area and Natick with back ups also in the Ashland and Marlborough. my office is in acton but my customers are in the city. I am single and do not have family or kids so do not have the trouble of a school district etc... i just need it to be a safe community and somewhat easy commute to the city.... not expecting it to be an easy ride.

Any input from you folks would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

131 posts, read 320,919 times
I used to live in Acton (grew up there actually). As you suspected, there is no such thing as an easy commute into the city. Either try commuter rail, or drive to Alewife and take the T in.

The towns you listed are fine, however you should add Chelmsford to your list as well (several apartment complexes & closer to Acton). Acton has several complexes too. Any reason why you aren't looking there? Might be too expensive for you?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Acton has several complexes too. Any reason why you aren't looking there?

Almost all the apartments I looked at were stating ard 1400-1500. My office is there, but I can work from home have flexible hours so thought I will look elsewhere too.... thanks for the suggestion on Chelmsford, did not look at it yet

Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
Natick will give you the best commute, followed by Framingham. 1300 should get you a 2 bd apt or a nice and spacious 1 bed apt (relatively speaking). Won't be anything close to what you may get in Dallas.

Where are the apts in these towns you're thinking about - some Framingham areas are not so nice but given you said N Fram should be ok.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I already got over the sticker shock for apartments but have a generally good idea. 1300 here will get you a 3-4 bedroom :-). I am looking at a few options, some being the condos in Natick ard the west natick station, there are also units in multi family housing available by the Natick center. With regards to Framingham almost all of them are north of the pike in multi family homes, staying away from downtown or south of route 9 as I did not like it by the looks

Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM

53 posts, read 199,373 times
of those towns.. Natick but what about Arlington?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

thanks natick is what I am having as first choice too. never looked at arlington, will cross check to see if it is affordable enough since I am looking for a two bedroom apt.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Interesting that I have come across this site. I will be relocating to Massachusetts in September due to a job offer. The hospital that I'll be employed with is located in Natick. I am looking for an apartment in Farmingham or Natick. I would like something close to the hospital and do not wish to travel so far from home during the snowy weather. Can anyone tell me about the snow removal on the streets and highways during the winter season? And, can anyone give me some feedback regarding the safety and cleanliness of the areas mentioned?

Last edited by RightbehindU; 08-11-2011 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: To add another question

Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
Are you referring to the Morse hospital? It's close to Natick downtown and very safe / clean looking area. There are a lot of multi-families in Natick downtown. Snow removal is pretty efficient. The plows go around all night and unless you really have to drive before snow is clear, you should not have problems.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 AM

609 posts, read 2,244,045 times
Be wary of driving on Rt 9 though in the winters, it is really stop and go and very frustration. It used to-take me 45 minutes (minimum) to go from Framingham to Wellesley hills (about a 12 - 13 mile commute) so go figure.

If there is a major snow storm (like the one we had in 2007), it could be more problems (I took 6 hours to reach home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts