Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

12 posts, read 38,855 times

Advertisements

I am a Boston student,renting an apt with a lease.I invited my aunt to come visit for 3 days(she is from France) and my land lord just happened to be there when my aunt arrived;I was shocked when my land lord refused to let her stay,saying that if she did not leave,she would change all the locks on the apt.I have been gone on vacation(I returned to France for 7 weeks)My rent was paid during this time and my apt was empty.My land lord stated that it was a Mass law stating that it was forbidden to have overnight guests.I find this hard to believe.I have been living in this apt for a year now and have never had any problems.If nothing in written in the lease,can she force this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
There is no such law and it would be illegal of her to change the locks like that. Even if she were to evict you (which she can't, on these grounds) there are procedures she would need to follow, she can't just change the locks.

She might be concerned that your aunt is going to become a permanent guest (which she could forbid) and is trying to scare you. Call her bluff. Ask her for documentation of this "law".

Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Oh my gosh, that sounds crazy!!!

I did some Googling and couldn't find a thing.

It's different if you're renting a room in a house vs. renting a self-enclosed apartment. Please read your lease carefully and look for something that talks about guests. I'm guessing that there's nothing there, nor could I find any broad, brush-stroked "Mass law stating that it was forbidden."

And, not that this would be any less wrong, but it's not like you were having your drum-playing, bong-smoking best friend who just got out of prison for murder staying with you... it's your aunt!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
You have a "Right to quiet enjoyment" of the apartment. That includes guests. Your landlady is A) all wet and B) a major a-hole. If she changes the locks, get yourself an attorney.

That said, I wouldn't count on (or in your case even want) a renewal on your lease.

Last edited by Cavaturaccioli; 09-01-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM

521 posts, read 1,150,960 times
Default You got that right cava...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
You have a "Right to quiet enjoyment" of the apartment. That includes guests. Your landlady is A0 all wet and B) a major a-hole. If she changes the locks, get yourself an attorney.

That said, I wouldn't count on (or in your case even want) a renewal on your lease.

Sounds like your landlady is a slumlord, and is violating your civil rights & also your right to peaceful quiet enjoyment of the place you rent from her.
Did you try to contact an attorney who deals with real estate, i.e. landlord disputes?
That might work, Besides, if you're not there, who wud NOT want their own aunt in their place, to make sure no one broke into your place and stole stuff??
That seems more safe than unreasonable to me, as far as the landlady goes.
Good luck with your situation.

We know someone who was REALLY screwed over by their landlord. Where can you find lawyers who defend tenants rights online? They almost got hurt badly because of their landlord negligence!
There are some horrible landlords out there. You can also go google the Massachusetts Code of Housing, I believe and pull up ALL the laws, if you're able to find that.
Our friend did that, and couldn't believe how MANY laws their landlord was breaking by their horrible behavior.
Good luck to ya, OP!
BTW, what do you think of New England, being of French descent? We're French too, and I'm often astonished at how rude or mean some ppl can be in this area, not to say that ALL ppl in New Eng. are like that...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the support.I am from France and enjoying my studies in Boston.This is the first bad experience that I have had.My aunt is staying in a hotel because I do not want any problems.But I will be better prepared for the next time.I am going to google the Mass Code of housing.People talk about the French being rude...lol.Thanks again

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw91 View Post
Thanks for the support.I am from France and enjoying my studies in Boston.This is the first bad experience that I have had.My aunt is staying in a hotel because I do not want any problems.But I will be better prepared for the next time.I am going to google the Mass Code of housing.People talk about the French being rude...lol.Thanks again
Nah! Been to France probably 10-12 times. Most have been very, very nice. Speaking a little French has certainly helped. I love your country.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 AM

I just received an email from my land lord and this is what she says.."Fully furnished and shared apts can only be occupied by people whos names are on the lease. and after 10 pm,no friends or relatives can stay in those apts.This is state law." My apt is a 2 bedroom,that I share with another over the age of 21 foreign student.I'm just wondering if it's because we are foreign students?? Although I have done all my studies in France,I am half American..No visiting after 10pm??Is that American law??An American student cannot entertain after 10PM??As I have a lease,I cannot move and I don't want to create waves,but I like to know my rights as a paying student.Without having to go to a lawyer etc..and where this land lords have got us is it is very difficult finding apts in Boston.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,030 times
I cannot believe that is state law, more like a regulation at a dormitory or on a private contract when renting out a shared space. Is your apt standalone (not a room in a house that the landlord lives in)? If so, The only person who can object to you having overnight guest for a few days should be you roommate.

I understand it was difficult to argue with your aunt right there and not being prepared for it. The watchout is if you let the LL get away with it, then what other ridiculous crap will he try to pull next time?

I'd write back and demand the exact regulation reference # from the MA Housing Code where that paragraph came from. Also, you can also tell him the Code prohibits LL from denying tenant access to the apt without proper eviction procedure being followed. If he threats to change the lock on you again, you can tell him to go ahead and you'll sue his AXX for violating your tenant rights.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:43 AM

I am renting a private 2 bedroom 2 bath apt in Boston.I was very surprised when she kicked my aunt out,stating that if she did not leave,she would call the police and change the locks.I know that is against the law.I have not had ANY problems with her before but she said that she has been renting to grad students for over 30 years and knows the law..I am not aware of all the American rental laws and do not like making trouble.But My rent is expensive($1100 plus utilities) and now I have a 10pm curfew..You are right,it sounds like dormitory rules for first year students..Does anyone know where I can find out information about this problem.I am not familiar with the American system,but do not want to go to the expense of going to a lawyer.I looked on the housing code and found nothing,but she seems to think because it is a "furnished shared apt" that she can forbid even an occ. over night stay...
because it's the law..Wow,,is that American way of life??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts