Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

121 posts, read 295,206 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from upstate NY (syracuse area) to boston suburbs or central MA like Worcester area?

How are the quality of life aspects different? Are winters more harsh, sunny etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM

278 posts, read 703,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
Has anyone moved from upstate NY (syracuse area) to boston suburbs or central MA like Worcester area?

How are the quality of life aspects different? Are winters more harsh, sunny etc?
I haven't lived in Syracuse, but I spend a lot of time there, so I can compare it to the Worcester area where I live.

The winters are much less harsh in Worcester vs. Syracuse. Syracuse is like living in a snow globe. It does not snow nearly that much in Worcester, however we still get a good amount of snow. Winters are definitely gray here however.

As for quality of life, I guess that depends. It is certainly cheaper to live in Syracuse compared to Worcester. For instance, I have a friend that lives in Westvale in a house he paid $170k for. It is FAR nicer than the house I paid $250k for in Shrewsbury. IMO Westvale and Shrewsbury are pretty comparable neighborhoods.

One thing you will notice about the Worcester area is, that there are other things besides dairy farms in the surrounding towns. When you go 10 miles outside Syracuse in any direction, and you are in farmland. Maybe that will happen to an extent if you to 10 miles west of Worcester, but anywhere east is further and further into the suburbs of Boston.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM

121 posts, read 295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent s View Post
I haven't lived in Syracuse, but I spend a lot of time there, so I can compare it to the Worcester area where I live.

The winters are much less harsh in Worcester vs. Syracuse. Syracuse is like living in a snow globe. It does not snow nearly that much in Worcester, however we still get a good amount of snow. Winters are definitely gray here however.

As for quality of life, I guess that depends. It is certainly cheaper to live in Syracuse compared to Worcester. For instance, I have a friend that lives in Westvale in a house he paid $170k for. It is FAR nicer than the house I paid $250k for in Shrewsbury. IMO Westvale and Shrewsbury are pretty comparable neighborhoods.

One thing you will notice about the Worcester area is, that there are other things besides dairy farms in the surrounding towns. When you go 10 miles outside Syracuse in any direction, and you are in farmland. Maybe that will happen to an extent if you to 10 miles west of Worcester, but anywhere east is further and further into the suburbs of Boston.
Are taxes overall any cheaper than NY state? Do good school districts have higher taxes in addition to expensive homes?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 PM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Quote:

Yes, but your friend in Westvale pays probably 8k a year in taxes. In Shrewsbury I imagine they pay 1-2k tops. Over the lenght of a 30 year mortgage NY winds up being more expensive.

Also, ten miles outside of Syracuse is not farmland in "any direction." I dont believe you are giving Syracuse enough credit for its urban sprawl. In fact, surroundign Syracuse is Ithaca, Cortland, Oswego which are all cities in their own right and all within 45 minutes of Syracuse. There is no likewise comparison of close cities within an hour of Worcester. Simply put, Central NY is more dense than central Mass. There is an awful lot of "nothing" in between the towns of Mass.

Overall, I think NY and Mass compare very favorably. Any differences between Worcester and Syracuse are minor. Like all things though a lot depends on what you make of it. One thing Worcester has going for it is the proximity of Boston, which is one of the greates cities I have ever been to.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
Are taxes overall any cheaper than NY state? Do good school districts have higher taxes in addition to expensive homes?
As a general rule, taxes in MA are cheaper than NY. However, it can vary widely from town to town. Some have high taxes, some don't. Most upscale communities have higher tax rates though. There are some exceptions

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Yes, but your friend in Westvale pays probably 8k a year in taxes. In Shrewsbury I imagine they pay 1-2k tops. Over the lenght of a 30 year mortgage NY winds up being more expensive.

Also, ten miles outside of Syracuse is not farmland in "any direction." I dont believe you are giving Syracuse enough credit for its urban sprawl. In fact, surroundign Syracuse is Ithaca, Cortland, Oswego which are all cities in their own right and all within 45 minutes of Syracuse. There is no likewise comparison of close cities within an hour of Worcester. Simply put, Central NY is more dense than central Mass. There is an awful lot of "nothing" in between the towns of Mass.

Overall, I think NY and Mass compare very favorably. Any differences between Worcester and Syracuse are minor. Like all things though a lot depends on what you make of it. One thing Worcester has going for it is the proximity of Boston, which is one of the greates cities I have ever been to.
How do you figure that there is no comparison to those cities within an hour of Worcester? Hartford, Providence, Boston, Springfield, all within an hour, not to mention the metro areas that go along with those. All far bigger than the glorified towns that are Ithaca, oswego, etc.....

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
How do you figure that there is no comparison to those cities within an hour of Worcester? Hartford, Providence, Boston, Springfield, all within an hour, not to mention the metro areas that go along with those. All far bigger than the glorified towns that are Ithaca, oswego, etc.....
You still fail to explain the north and west of Worcester, which lack cities of any definition. Syracuse, on the other hand is dotted by smaller cities in all directions. Not to mention more expansive suburbs.

I get your point though and I think Worcester is a great location with plenty going on. Where my problem lies is when you say 10 minutes outside of Syracuse is rural in all directions. That is simply a false statement. As for the comparison between the two cities, the simple fact is that Syracuse is more built up than Worcester.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
In Shrewsbury I imagine they pay 1-2k tops.
These days it's probably closer to 3k , even for a smaller house.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
These days it's probably closer to 3k , even for a smaller house.
Still, over time ny is more expensive than mass. Also keep in mind that taxes never go away unlike a mortgage. Bottom line - no place is taxed like ny... A sad fact.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 PM

130 posts, read 275,320 times
I know a number of people move from both Rochester NY and Syracuse NY to Massachusetts have never looked back. Property tax rates are more twice as much in Pittsford NY than anywhere in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts