Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:00 PM

28 posts, read 55,240 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,

We happen to see new construction division which has close proximity to lawrence gun club.
While I was there, heard few shots. But was curious is close proximity to a gun shooting club a concern ?
Will the bullets land in yard ?

Ah..I was feeling elated that I found a perfect home but now I am loosing my sleep over the gun club.

Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I'd live near a gun club any day... but never in a ghetto area. And I could tolerate the sound of gun shots much better than living near an airport. BTW most likely a neighborhood near a gun club will be a very safe one.

With a gun club, the membership pay fees and their firearms licenses/permits verified. Their firearms are also checked out. And they design their shooting ranges so that their line of fire to the targets is going into a wall that is impenetrable to the bullets.

And don't mistake a gun club to be like a paintball play field inside with war games of shoot 'em up between the members. The purpose of a gun club is to have a safe and responsible environment to practice their shooting skills in. So there is no need to lose sleep over worry about stray bullets escaping from that gun club.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavimommy View Post
But was curious is close proximity to a gun shooting club a concern ?
No. You know who belong to gun clubs? Lots of cops.

Quote:
Will the bullets land in yard?
I shouldn't say it, but never.

Design of bullet traps on a range is VERY important! If anyone is ever struck by a bullet, they would own the assets of the club and who ever fired. I'm sure the Lawrence Rod and Gun Club covers more than a couple hundred acres in Andover. Would you like to own a couple hundred acres of almost empty land in Andover? Any idea how much 300 or 400 acres of land goes for there...

Quote:
Any thoughts ?
If you have an irrational fear of inanimate objects, then look elsewhere.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM

402 posts, read 686,495 times
Join it and find out what gun clubs are really like. could be good for you and fun besides

Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Thank you every one..more thoughts are welcome...

Now after reading the responses my fear of safety has come down. Buying a house for first time is an emotional roller coaster.
I've never heard of gun club, never knew how gun shot sounds like...and living near in its close proximity fueled my roller coaster fun ride in house hunting process.

I went down there today, it was quiet, may be becasue it was sunday and winter. It might be busy during summer. the house backyard and the shooting range is approx 200 yards away. Bullet noise is obvious but anything else that I should be knowing ? Gun powder smell ??
I am guessing resale value of the property might hurt ...I will come to know during selling time.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
miu

Why don't you visit that gun club and ask for a tour?

How long do you intend to live in whatever house you end up buying? Longevity is what helps a residential real estate purchase become a positive financial move. If you are in a house for several decades, it's most likely going to be worth more than the original purchase price. However, if you are only going to stay for less than ten years, there's more of a chance that you might lose money in selling it.

Otherwise, if you are that worried about a home's resale value, then just rent for the rest of your life. There are no guarantees in regards to the US job market and economy.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,726 times
Quote:
I went down there today, it was quiet, may be becasue it was sunday and winter. It might be busy during summer. the house backyard and the shooting range is approx 200 yards away. Bullet noise is obvious but anything else that I should be knowing ? Gun powder smell ??
I am guessing resale value of the property might hurt ...I will come to know during selling time.
Your question might begin and end with this, actually, regardless of safety and the rest. If you were able to hear shots in the span of time you looking at the house you'll most likely hear them if you live there. As with any property you have to decide what kind of noises you can handle living with (and what the average future buyer could as well).

I once looked at a rental near a police range and while I wasn't concerned about safety I found the noise rattling...if I had to choose a loud background noise I'd prefer something more constant and steady like traffic, but that's just me. Is it you? Is it a future owner of the house? You'll have to ask yourself these questions.

Good luck with whatever you decide - it is a roller coaster ride!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
I've never heard of gun club, never knew how gun shot sounds like.

Beleive it or not, in some other state...you can just shoot in your backyard. Here in MA, the only land secluded enough to do this is way out west. In eastern MA, you pretty much have to shoot at a gun club because there is nowhere to do so safely.

Odds are pretty slim of a stray bullet. The berms are usually designed in a direction and hieght that reduce the chance of a stray bullet landing anywhere populated.

I'm a member of a local range and safety is definitely a high concern to members there.

Trap shooting is pretty safe in that the shot that is fired at clays tends to lose speed and drop very quickly. You could stand out at 300 yards and have the shot rain down on you and it would be no different than getting hit with a cup of ball bearings. I doubt it would make it even 300 yards.

You can always google map the range and see how the rifle range lines up to your home.

Usually most ranges have set hours that allow shooting. Usually 8AM to sunset, or after 10am on Sunday and such. Perhaps you can take a ride over one day and check the hours.

A friend of mine owns a home near a range. After a while, the sounds get washed out as normal background noise

Edit: I assume you are talking about Lawrence rod and gun? Their ranges angle away from the development. The trap range is closer, but pellets are safer as they lose a lot of energy in the air and don't have the range. The rifle/pistol range is away from the development, and into a recessed berm. Behind it through the woods a few hundred yards looks like an industrial park.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-03-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Thank you BostonMike.

We went down there and its the outdoor range that we are concern of. The outdoor range / recessed berm that you are talking about is 50 yards away from the lot ie the distance between house's deck and the outdoor range.

Other concern that is cropping out now is lead contamination. Will the gun powder smell and lead travel that far ? The area and land is already contaminated by lead ?? ..I guess all shooting ranges are.

More I read and more I research is adding fuel and concerns. Now that I am ready to live with gun 'pops', I should stop over-analyzing things and just go ahead with offer.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
miu

BTW how long as this house been on the market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts