Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 AM

12 posts, read 40,561 times

Advertisements

We're a Dutch/Malaysian couple with a three-year old who will be moving from Rotterdam, the Netherlands to Massachusets around the beginning of next year. Having read through many threads on this forum, and having looked at realtors' sites, I think Newburyport or Arlington might fit our needs as far as community/walkability/schools etc. are concerned.

My husband will have to commute to Andover. Does anybody have any experience with this commute?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Last edited by Youngmountain; 11-06-2007 at 03:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
I couldn't tell you a thing about Arlington, but Newburyport I know well and it's a great place to live and play. A great walkable town, beautiful downtown, wide sidewalks along the main roads so that you can easily get from one part of town to the other. The best commute would probably be to hop on Rte. 495, which will have some slow pockets here and there but overall not bad UNTIL you get to Rte 93. Which part of Andover would he need to get to? That may make all the difference in the world. The commute from Arlington would probably be about the same (35 minutes, give or take- maybe a bit shorter because he'd be doing the "reverse commute" and going against the main traffic flow. There's a world of difference between the two communities, and there is nothing like visiting a community to get the real feel for living there.

Remember that Realtors, don't just sell houses, but communities, neighborhoods. Most websites will show the best of the best, and never mind the not-so-nice parts... You may consider renting for at least short-term. Yes it's a pain to move twice, but you should familiarize yourself with the area before making a long-term commitment. I don't know how real estate works in the Neatherlands, but here you can and should work with a Buyer's Agent and not the agent of the Seller. A Buyer's Agent will help you scout and compare neighborhoods, homes, etc. They will bring you through as many homes as you would wish to see (that you are qualified for), pointing out various issues that may not be readily apparent.

It sounds very exciting, this possible upcoming move! If I can answer any questions on Newburyport or surrounding areas, please let me know. I grew up in the area, and though I now live in southern New Hampshire, the seacoast/Merrimack Valley is still "home" to me.

Last edited by Valerie C; 11-06-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 07:41 AM

967 posts, read 4,786,936 times
I freelance at a company in Andover and have a colleague who commutes to there from Newburyport. It's a lovely area and he said the commute isn't bad at all. I think about 1/2 hr. Pretty easy compared with a lot of areas around here. His friend is a buyer's agent in Newburyport if you need a name of a good one. I don't know her personally but have heard good things about her.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 AM

Valerie, Thank you for your reply. My husband's job is located in the most northwestern tip of Andover, it looks like on Google Earth, just south of the Merrimack river, so he'll have to do a couple of miles on the 93.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Scarletfire, I have been reading so many of your posts over the past couple of months! This forum is an invaluable tool to get to know a place, in addition to actually going there in person, which we will do at the end of November. I'm sure I will be posting more questions as the time of our move will come closer.

Thanks for your recommendation for a buyer's agent, but our move will be paid for and organized by my husband's employer, so we "have" to go through their agents, who so far have been of great help.

I (very happily) lived in the Bay Area (CA) for ten years, so I am curious to see how I will like the East Coast! Housing prices are definitely a plus...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Wow, that's so nice about your husband's employer!

Where did you live in the Bay Area? We lived in Campbell, just next to Los Gatos, and I worked in San Jose. My twin sister lives in the Oakland Hills and step-daughter lives in Napa. We just came from there last weekend. I grew up here and then lived in the Bay Area for a few years and liked both places a lot. There are certainly differences but there's also some degree of symmetry between here and the Bay Area that I found comforting when we moved. I hope you'll like it here. The winters are a bear, but on the good side, Newburyport is beautiful and from what little I know is a lovely place to live. :-)

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi Scarletfire,
I used to live in surf town Santa Cruz, and worked "over the hill" in Sunnyvale. Over those ten years I cruised all over the Golden State, and I just LOVE it there. Napa is so beautiful, too. How lucky you are to have grown up there! I just wish I bought a house there while I (or anyone, for that matter) could still afford it, back in 1993, so that I would now have my 300K profit as a downpayment for our future MA house! The beary winters will indeed be a challenge, considering the Dutch and CA winters I am used to, but hey, maybe we'll pick up snowboarding and end up wishing winters would extend to July!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM

What a small world! We lived in Santa Cruz briefly when we first moved to California. We were one block away from Pleasure Point. A lovely spot but I couldn't handle the drive over Rt 17. How did you survive that for 10 years?! Do you know the Guilhamets? (Friends of our who live there.)

Actually I grew up here in Mass, then moved to California in my mid 20s, then back home after a few years. I know what you mean about buying a home in that area. My in-laws still regret not keeping their Los Gatos house. I think they bought it for around $100K. I can't imagine what it would go for now!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Ah, you were an east sider! I lived on the west side, mostly, close to the UCSC campus. I don't think I know your friends, would have definitely remembered such a special last name!

Didn't actually commmute 17 for ten years, "only" six or so, haha. The rest of the time I worked free lance, or commuted to Monterey instead. How did I survive? Carpooling! There's nothing like leaning back in the passenger's seat and relaxing.

Today, a $100K in the Bay Area would not even buy you a one-car garage!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM

212 posts, read 948,637 times
Why not Andover? I lived in Andover for a few years - it is a friendly town, great schools and easy access to highways. There is a wide variety of housing available. With the price of gas going up by the minute, why not look at the closest towns to your husband's job? I think you'll be impressed with either Andover or No. Andover.

Arlington and Newburyport are very different communities. Arlington is much more "city" than Newburyport. From Arlington, you can get to Cambridge/Boston in a few minutes and you have easy access to public transportation. It's a walkable town with some really nice restaurants and a very good movie theatre. Newburyport is a charming town, but it's very far away from the City and you need a car to get everywhere. The downtown is a nice place to visit, but it is very much for tourists. It is close to the ocean if you like boating or beaching. There are some beautiful homes in the town and good restaurants.

By the way, the Arlington-Andover commute would be a problem in the bad weather. As soon as the snow begins, the commute turns horrible and can be very hazardous. It could take close to 45 minutes even on clear days, and an hour ++ in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts