Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,260,276 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion. I would think that in Boston metro area you would need at least 60K, but preferably 75K to get by. I know that people get by on much less, but I have no idea how they do it.

Here's how much Americans think families need to get by - Life Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

417 posts, read 738,519 times
In Boston, it would make a significant difference based on whether the kids were daycare aged or not. Since daycare here is one of the priciest in the country.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM

6,493 posts, read 7,862,331 times
Word to yo motha on the daycare costs. If I'm ever fired, I plan to start a daycare. I hate kids but I love money.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 PM

15,906 posts, read 21,557,859 times
I would say you'd need more than 60K to even afford housing for a family of 4, unless you all were content sharing a 1 bedroom. I'm single and 60K is about the bare minimum I could make before considering moving into my own 1 bedroom in the suburbs - and I have no student loans or anyone to depend on me.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,489 times
I guess we have different opinions on what 'getting by' means.
I would say about 35k. No life is not going to be comfortable, but you could get by just fine. And by that I mean shelter, food and clothing. No eating out, smart phones with data plans, cable, etc.

Source: I lived in Medford, Everett, Somerville all in the last 5 years with 2 people. Granted it wasnt 4 and I guess the cost of living could have gone up a ton in the last few years but I doubt it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM

15,906 posts, read 21,557,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelydank View Post
I guess we have different opinions on what 'getting by' means.
I would say about 35k. No life is not going to be comfortable, but you could get by just fine. And by that I mean shelter, food and clothing. No eating out, smart phones with data plans, cable, etc.

Source: I lived in Medford, Everett, Somerville all in the last 5 years with 2 people. Granted it wasnt 4 and I guess the cost of living could have gone up a ton in the last few years but I doubt it.
I live in Medford now, formerly lived in Somerville. I currently make a little more than 35K a year and need to live with roommates. That's around $2000 a month after taxes and, in my case, health insurance (which would be significantly more for a family versus single). My 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment rents way under market rate at $1800 a month. My roommate and I looked at several 2 bedrooms, but those were still at least $1500. On a 35K a year salary, you wouldn't be able to heat your house or turn on the lights, much less worry about cable or a data plan. My Somerville apartment was even worse - top floor of a triple decker, 2 bedrooms, no dishwasher, washer/dryer, and oil heat - $1800. I paid significantly less than half because my room was the size of a closet.

I would love to not have to deal with roommates, but when studio apartments start at $800 in the suburbs, it's a long way off. And again, I make more than 35K and have no dependents.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live in Medford now, formerly lived in Somerville. I currently make a little more than 35K a year and need to live with roommates. That's around $2000 a month after taxes and, in my case, health insurance (which would be significantly more for a family versus single). My 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment rents way under market rate at $1800 a month. My roommate and I looked at several 2 bedrooms, but those were still at least $1500. On a 35K a year salary, you wouldn't be able to heat your house or turn on the lights, much less worry about cable or a data plan. My Somerville apartment was even worse - top floor of a triple decker, 2 bedrooms, no dishwasher, washer/dryer, and oil heat - $1800. I paid significantly less than half because my room was the size of a closet.

I would love to not have to deal with roommates, but when studio apartments start at $800 in the suburbs, it's a long way off. And again, I make more than 35K and have no dependents.

I didnt say a 35k a year job, i said 35k a year....

In Everett I paid 800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, it was top floor of a 3 apartment house and really weird.... by weird I mean none of the doorways were full sized, the ceiling getting to the front door was about 5' tall in the stairwell at the top. The height inside the living room was normal 6-7' or whatever, but the doorway between the kitchen and living room was only 20" wide or so, it was huge pita to get furniture in there. The landlord wanted 850 or 900 a month for it, but I had a good job and refrences and I talked him down because of the previous mentioned things. Also the only heat was part of the stove/oven, there was a heater on the right side of it.

You cant just expect to go find a good deal in 5 minutes, it took me weeks to find each of my places and then you gotta go look at them and be ready to give a deposit that day.
I lived with a girlfriend in everett, but other two places roommates that I had never met before, but found the ads on craigslist. Rent in Medford was $2000/4 people, and $1700/3 for Somerville.

Edit: I should mentioned i'm pretty frugal, for example this weekend ill be leaving a car somewhere near lowell for a few days, carpooling to western mass camping with a family member. I could pay 10$ per night to park the car overnight at lowell commuter rail, or I could park somewhere for cheaper or free.... I will call a few hotels and ask them If i can park there...if not for free for 5 dollars a night. The lowell t station was my first idea, but it seems way to pricey since I dont need to use the T at all and I have a bit of time to research and think of cheaper ideas.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,864,407 times
My first year with an infant (family of 3), we spent $40k but made much more than that. I would say we lived a pretty minimal lifestyle - we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment out by 495 and ate out 2-3x a week, but didn't buy anything except for necessities. That meant a $10/mo prepaid cell, no toys for the kiddo, no cable TV, etc. We also didn't have any daycare costs. I agree with kingeorge that you need to have around a $60k salary which is about $45k after taxes.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 5,386,866 times
Interesting thread. I can't imagine getting by on 60K for a family of 4. Beyond the regular living expenses are those opportunities that you want (and honestly to keep them engaged as teens really need) to provide for your kids. Think about the cost of preschool, sports and other activities. I am not talking about the travel and elite programs either- just the regular town andsports and activities. That would take a big bite out of a families budget. Glad I don't have daughters who wanted to dance. Even just the cost of a group lesson and end of the year recital is staggering.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,260,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Interesting thread. I can't imagine getting by on 60K for a family of 4. Beyond the regular living expenses are those opportunities that you want (and honestly to keep them engaged as teens really need) to provide for your kids. Think about the cost of preschool, sports and other activities. I am not talking about the travel and elite programs either- just the regular town andsports and activities. That would take a big bite out of a families budget. Glad I don't have daughters who wanted to dance. Even just the cost of a group lesson and end of the year recital is staggering.
I agree, even for most basic activities for kids, things add up pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts