Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 PM

444 posts, read 820,190 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My bf and I were plowing through our finances. We wondered why people choose to live in MA vs NH, if they worked near the border. If you work near the border, why did you choose to live in one state vs the other?

For us, we are considering moving because we found out it would be cheaper rent (for something comparable) and cheaper car insurance for something comparable. I have not noticed an excise tax for vehicles in NH (please let me know if there is one). He's works in MA, so other than paying MA income and not getting a benefit from it, why else do people choose to like in MA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,808 times
I think you've hit on the main reason to live on the MA side: MA and NH historically took very different approaches to generating revenue, MA relying heavily on income tax and NH relying heavily on property tax. If you live in NH and work in MA, you're essentially strategically arranging yourself so you are subject to the heaviest taxation on both sides. What you found in NH was a place to live where you're paying so much in distance from where most of the jobs are that the lower rent makes up for the higher taxation.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think you've hit on the main reason to live on the MA side: MA and NH historically took very different approaches to generating revenue, MA relying heavily on income tax and NH relying heavily on property tax. If you live in NH and work in MA, you're essentially strategically arranging yourself so you are subject to the heaviest taxation on both sides. What you found in NH was a place to live where you're paying so much in distance from where most of the jobs are that the lower rent makes up for the higher taxation.
Pleas review post #19 in this thread for an understanding of MA vs NH propery taxes.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...ight-nh-2.html

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
All depends where you work

Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Pleas review post #19 in this thread for an understanding of MA vs NH propery taxes.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...ight-nh-2.html
Thanks for this! I've noticed people say that property tax rates are higher in NH, but I've noticed you can get a lot more bang for your housing dollar in NH.

Anyone, does NH require emission test, or excise or property tax on vehicles?

We just found out our 2012 fusion will cost us 400 in MA excise tax this year, and are rather bummed.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Thanks for this! I've noticed people say that property tax rates are higher in NH, but I've noticed you can get a lot more bang for your housing dollar in NH.

Anyone, does NH require emission test, or excise or property tax on vehicles?

We just found out our 2012 fusion will cost us 400 in MA excise tax this year, and are rather bummed.
NH requires emissions testing and you will pay annual fees on your vehicle to the NH towns. My 2009 model year car resulted in the following fees. Keep in mind I was registering in NH for the first time in 2012. My cost included annual registration, obtaining the license plates (one time), processing of title (one time) and the NH equivalent of the excise tax.

State Fees:
Registration & Plates - $54.80
Title - $25.00

Town Fees:
Annual Tax - $156.00
Agent/Clerk Fees (Registration) - $4.00
Local Title Proc Fee - $2.00

So in summary I paid $27.00 to process the title at my town office, $58.80 for the registration and obtaining my first NH plates and I paid $156.00 as the "excise tax." I don't believe all the fees will be recurring.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 07-29-2013 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Something which I pointed out, which the previously poster evidently missed in his reading.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
We live in a border town and there were many reasons why we stayed on the MA side. Yes as a general rule rent and house prices are lower in NH but you get what you pay for. My stepdaughter went to school in a comparable town in NH to the town we live in and the education and services my son gets blows away what she got. Insurance as in health insurance. Massachusetts mandates that insurance covers ALL female health issues. From my research no other state covers it anywhere near what Mass does. I hope you never need it but it is HUGE if you do. Traffic. I find traffic in the southern NH towns horrific. There are many other reasons and those I gave are very personal, you might not value the same things. Just thought I would throw my two cents in that making a decision just based on cheapest isn't always the way to go.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
We live in a border town and there were many reasons why we stayed on the MA side. Yes as a general rule rent and house prices are lower in NH but you get what you pay for. My stepdaughter went to school in a comparable town in NH to the town we live in and the education and services my son gets blows away what she got. Insurance as in health insurance. Massachusetts mandates that insurance covers ALL female health issues. From my research no other state covers it anywhere near what Mass does. I hope you never need it but it is HUGE if you do. Traffic. I find traffic in the southern NH towns horrific. There are many other reasons and those I gave are very personal, you might not value the same things. Just thought I would throw my two cents in that making a decision just based on cheapest isn't always the way to go.
Magicshark, I've thought MA spent more on schools than NH. But, what really interested me is insurance laws. I never thought about how insurance varies in different states. So, are health insurance premiums different in different states? And, would you mind giving me an examples of the female issues NH does not cover?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Not sure about pricing as it totally depends on where you work. Off the top of my head any issues dealing with infertility are not covered in all but six states, Massachusetts having the most, by far, comprehensive coverage. There are other things and not just female health problems, for example my son's has ASD and state law here also mandates my insurance pay for his therapies. I am sure there are others but those are ones that I have researched due to need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts