Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 26,439 times

Advertisements

I am (continuing) my search for a town to move too. I am looking to get my own place in the next month or so, after which I plan to get a car. Do you have suggestions on college towns that would be good for a single 30 year old without kids? I'm more of the quiet type, so night life isn't important, but I would like things to do, a very safe place and clean and nice, good location and some nature (parks, lakes or water, etc.), good economy and job prospects and relatively good cost of list. I also want the people to be generally friendly. I would like there to be things to do, and i would like there to be good amenities and nice people. thanks so much.
I would prefer that the town be more on the smaller side - say preferably not more thatn 30,00 although i would look at more than that aw well.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
What is your field work wise? What is your budget (if you have a ballpark idea pre job)?

I'm guessing Northampton area for the nature, etc... MA as a whole is pricey though. 30k is a medium town in much of the state.

Need more info to say more.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM

I want to ultimately work at a university and get a degree in student affairs, but I intend to work up until i start sschool in a month and a half... I do have money, I was thinking maybe around $10000 ro $15,000 for my apartment with heating. And 1000 dollars for my rent today per month at least. I will probably end up taking a paid internship or working or taking my do gout to walk. thanks.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM

what i meant was, i was thinking more of the low 20s for town population, but i am willing to consider any great college town...

Old 03-28-2014, 01:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I don't know of many college towns in MA with that small a population that have any economy at all. Actually, not many towns at all that small with any economy.

I'm sure others can chime in that know the western part of the state better than I.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM

well, than if college towns are bigger than a medium size town will do as well, I am just not looking for a city like boston, that would be too big, i would consider something like amherst at 35,0000, for example

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Amherst and Northampton are great college towns although quite different from each other but so far you haven't responded to that suggestion. Your other thread hinted at evangelism-- we have, in Beverly, I think, an evangelical college, Endicott College. Maybe look there? Both Beverly and neighboring Salem have lots going for them as a places to live, though you wouldn't call either one a college town. Lots of colleges in Mass but few have the classic 'college town' atmosphere. I'm not familiar with Williamstown but it's in in a beautiful area and has a college. New Hampshire and Vermont have some good ones like Hanover, Burlington, and Middlebury. Some good college towns over in New York State too (and it's not clear why you've specified only Mass and Penna.) Other college towns that come to mind are Kingston, RI Middletown, CT, and Brunswick, ME. The immediate Boston area gives you the most options within Massachusetts for courses of study but if you don't want to be in the big city then Amherst and thereabouts offers the next biggest concentration of higher ed offerings.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

i had read that northampton is not that safe? i am looking to go to get a master's degree in education in student affairs and two of the states with the most schoolssrs are in ma and pa.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Where are you coming from-- trying to get away from a dangerous place or fearful of leaving some completely safe place? Where did you read such a thing about Northampton? I mean, anything can happen anywhere (e.g., the whole In Cold Blood story) but Northampton is a small, prosperous city, hardly crime-ridden.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 PM

i have lived in a variety of places, always places that were fairly safe.

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts