Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 AM

21 posts, read 29,193 times

Advertisements

Dear All: These are things I will do -

1. I will contact Mass Save Home Energy Assessment team to get the home Audit done- I will listen to their views and follow all their suggestions to get the maximum loan.
2. During the audit - can I show them what products I am going to buy? i.e.,boiler etc.,

Products I am going to buy:

1. Hot water boiler with an AFUE* Rating of 96% or greater - Please let me know what you guys are using and your brief thoughts.
2. High Efficiency indirect DHW - Which one?
3. Windows (Most of them are single glazed). This home is right beside the main road and hence loud - will they support triple glazed or is it waste of money in comparison to double glazed windows?
4. Gas Fire Place in the living room may be best to incorporate in the existing unused fire place- Which one? I have no idea on these.....

Please guide me - did I miss anything here.

Humble Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
As long as you get someone from CSG (DO NOT USE NEXT STEP LIVING's MASS SAVE SERVICE) you should get an accurate report on the insulation in your walls and attics.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 AM

Default New Gas Line Cost

HI All, I just called the National Grid and they said that if the home is within 100ft it will cost $1900/- They will provide a line into the foundation and probably a meter.

I thought it is free within 100 ft.

Also, the national marketing people told me that they will not know whether this house had gas line previously but disconnected. Also, they said that if it is there and in order to make it alive there is also a charge.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks

Last edited by naturoses; 04-14-2014 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Added another thought

Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
As long as you get someone from CSG (DO NOT USE NEXT STEP LIVING's MASS SAVE SERVICE) you should get an accurate report on the insulation in your walls and attics.
Hi Cwaggy, Please forgive my ignorance - who is CSG? Do they have a number to call? What will their charges be to come and inspect the home to get an accurate report...

Is it after CSG report I should get the home audit done? Is there a number for the audit people to come in?

If you do not mind, at your convenience , would you be able to guide me as to what is step 1 and step 2 and other steps in this process. Is there a web link to this?

Thank you very much for sparing your precious time.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturoses View Post
3. Windows (Most of them are single glazed). This home is right beside the main road and hence loud - will they support triple glazed or is it waste of money in comparison to double glazed windows?
FYI, my understanding is that you can also use the zero interest HEAT loan for upgrading single pane windows to multi-pane windows.

Quote:
HI All, I just called the National Grid and they said that if the home is within 100ft it will cost $1900/- They will provide a line into the foundation and probably a meter.

I thought it is free within 100 ft.
There's so much demand for gas conversion right now that the gas utilities aren't doing anything for free. In fact the energy audit, HEAT loan, rebates, etc that you can get through Mass Save are things we all pay for. There are line items on our utility bills that fund these programs. I always encourage people to make use of them as they are already paying for them.

Quote:
Also, the national marketing people told me that they will not know whether this house had gas line previously but disconnected. Also, they said that if it is there and in order to make it alive there is also a charge.
It's extremely doubtful that your house was once gas and was converted to oil. In the 80's electricity was cheapest so some homes were built with electric baseboard heating back then, but I can't think of a time in recent history when oil was so much cheaper than gas that it would be worth converting.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
FYI, my understanding is that you can also use the zero interest HEAT loan for upgrading single pane windows to multi-pane windows.

Thanks Mike, This will be helpful to change the windows to double (to save on energy) or triple (energy + Noise)

There's so much demand for gas conversion right now that the gas utilities aren't doing anything for free. In fact the energy audit, HEAT loan, rebates, etc that you can get through Mass Save are things we all pay for. There are line items on our utility bills that fund these programs. I always encourage people to make use of them as they are already paying for them.

I heard that people misused the free gas line connection i.e., once they got a free gas line some people did not convert to gas and hence this free gas line program was withdrawn. Anyways, it will cost me $1900/-

Sorry, I did not understand this clearly - my apologies - Do we need to pay for the energy audit or is it free from the company?. Did you get this done to your home and if so do you have a list of phone number I may contact.

It's extremely doubtful that your house was once gas and was converted to oil. In the 80's electricity was cheapest so some homes were built with electric baseboard heating back then, but I can't think of a time in recent history when oil was so much cheaper than gas that it would be worth converting.
Yes, you maybe right that this house may not have a gas at all from the beginning. I agree with the all prices as well.

Separate Questions:

Did you already chose a contractor? - If Yes, would like to me to know them so that I can contact them?

2. Did you choose a Gas boiler + water tank for hot water as well Windows?
If Yes, would like to me to know them so that I can contact them?

Sincere thanks for your time, thoughts and guidance.

Also thanks to all who have been responding to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Quote:
Hi Cwaggy, Please forgive my ignorance - who is CSG? Do they have a number to call? What will their charges be to come and inspect the home to get an accurate report...

Is it after CSG report I should get the home audit done? Is there a number for the audit people to come in?

If you do not mind, at your convenience , would you be able to guide me as to what is step 1 and step 2 and other steps in this process. Is there a web link to this?

Thank you very much for sparing your precious time.
Conservation Services Group - it's free. It is the Mass Save audit it is all you need. Where is the home BTW?

Mass Save® Home Energy Services Program: CSG Case Study

Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Conservation Services Group - it's free. It is the Mass Save audit it is all you need. Where is the home BTW?

Mass Save® Home Energy Services Program: CSG Case Study

Thanks Cwaggy for responding back. The home is in Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:

Did you already chose a contractor? - If Yes, would like to me to know them so that I can contact them?

Not yet. I'm waiting for one more quote to come in before I decide. It's definitely more expensive than I would have anticipated because all my duct work needs to be replaced as well. My house has older flexi-duct which is not well insulated and is just generally not well installed as well.

Quote:
2. Did you choose a Gas boiler + water tank for hot water as well Windows?

My boiler is still working OK (my A/C is horribly under performing) so I'm still debating about that piece. The boiler is older so I might just replace it so that I have piece of mind. If I do replace it, I'm going to get the indirect HW heater as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 AM

Default Home Inspection Updates - need guidance and solution

Today we finished the home inspection and several issues which include both minor and major.

The issues are as follows:

1. Termite problem: this is present in one location in the basement. I set up an appointment with the termite inspectors and to see how bad it is. This will happen soon.

2. Grading Contractors: The house is located little lower than the road. The rain water currently goes into foundation. We need an estimate from a grading contractor to see what it takes to send water away from the home atleast few feet away by filling up with concrete. Do anyone of you know any grading contractor? or at least can put me in the right direction to contact an engineer or a contractor.

3. There is no gas line: As expected.

4. Plumbing issues: The water from wash basin and sinks stalls for a long time. The cast iron pipes have rusted and hence require replacement.

5. Electrical Work: There is evidence of water in the electrical box. There is no shortage yet and hence requires proper sealing.

I am most worried about termite infestation[SIZE=2] BUT at the same time I see an opportunity to negotiate. I know for a fact that termites are hard to eliminate but this problem along with others present to us an opportunity and let's see how far we can go...

Though I see an opportunity as a first time home buyer I am scared....

Please send me your thoughts.

[/SIZE]Thank you for your time, support and guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts